Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Popcorn mode?  (Read 7472 times)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
Popcorn mode?
« on: December 30, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »

Would it be possible for you to add a mode to the game where it's just the AI against the AI so the player would be free to move the camera around the battlefield and watch the fireworks? I just had this notion that it might be very entertaining to watch every now and then. (And possibly make for a useful tool in evaluating different weapons/ships/variants.)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Popcorn mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:55:51 AM »

Would it be possible for you to add a mode to the game where it's just the AI against the AI so the player would be free to move the camera around the battlefield and watch the fireworks? I just had this notion that it might be very entertaining to watch every now and then. (And possibly make for a useful tool in evaluating different weapons/ships/variants.)

Oh, nice, sounds useful, and maybe even easy(ish?) to include.  I like the idea a lot.  :)

Also just to clarify the situation a bit, it is almost certainly maybe very possible for this to be added at some point down the road.   ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 12:31:21 PM »

I second this motion. Sometimes you just wanna see ships blow up in space.  ;D
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »

I second this motion. Sometimes you just wanna see ships blow up in space.  ;D

Especially when it looks as good as it does in Starfarer!

The thought actually arose when I had warmed up some pizza to eat and was on my way to my table, thinking what I'd watch while eating. "You know what'd be really good to watch while eating this pizza I made? Starfarer ships blowing the crap outta each other!"

ollobrains

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 11:29:45 PM »

wouldnt this require the AI to take the role of a player though

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:33:34 PM »

wouldnt this require the AI to take the role of a player though

Sorta, but that wouldn't mean that the ai would be doing anything it doesn't normally do anyway.  There would just be two of them instead of one.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »

If this goes ahead, I think we can make some sort of multiplayer meta game where we post our fleet loadouts and let the ships duke it out by themselves. All the more interesting if the game allowed you to input rudimentary orders to be performed at the beginning of the match.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:36:00 AM »

If this goes ahead, I think we can make some sort of multiplayer meta game where we post our fleet loadouts and let the ships duke it out by themselves. All the more interesting if the game allowed you to input rudimentary orders to be performed at the beginning of the match.

...holy ***!

We're essentially talking about reproducing Gratuitous Space Battles (in a very down-to-basics form) here!  :o

I'll fully understand if Alex doesn't think this would be worth his time, but the idea is very intriguing..!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 08:17:30 AM »

I admit, this idea sound like a lot of fun, but it's definitely a development detour.

Would you want me to work on it instead of the campaign? Instead of adding battlestations and weapon platforms? Instead of adding ship systems?

Besides, there already is a game that does this as its primary focus, and does it well.

Still, it's a lot of fun to think about these things. That might be one of the hardest parts for me - picking which cool ideas to actually implement and try to bring together in a cohesive whole. There are always so many ideas - that could really, really work well if given the right attention - and never enough time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:23:06 AM by Alex »

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »

Yeah, I think the GSB mode is a bit far-fetched. What about the spectator mode, though? I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy/fast to implement?

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:59:58 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, Alex did already talk about some kind of 'skimish' mode where you could set up the two fleets yourself. Perhaps a 'spectate' butto could be added there or something?

Although I think that I can speak for everyone that we would prefer you all to finish the campaign first.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:01:42 AM by Dohon »
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Battlecry of the Salamanders, Space Marine Chapter, Warhammer 40.000. [...] for in the grim dark future there is only war.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 08:39:07 AM »

Yeah, I think the GSB mode is a bit far-fetched. What about the spectator mode, though? I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy/fast to implement?

With the caveat that we're possibly picturing different things, the combat UI isn't really suited to switching which side you're on, so it'd be kind of a pain - basically, a new UI for this. Hmm. I can see an "autopilot" style option for command of your fleet, though. That would have the added benefit of letting you focus entirely on piloting if you so choose. The one downside is that the admiral AI isn't quite up to par as far as not doing the occasional bone-headed thing, though seeing it in action directly would actually help improve it.

If I'm not mistaken, Alex did already talk about some kind of 'skimish' mode where you could set up the two fleets yourself. Perhaps a 'spectate' butto could be added there or something?

Although I think that I can speak for everyone that we would prefer you all to finish the campaign first.  ;D

Ahh, that was before the "let's do the campaign instead" about-face. I'm still thinking of having a customizable mission, but not quite to the same degree.

Dohon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »

How about just extending the main-menu fights? Just have a random group of ships pound at another group of ships. No orders, no ui. Just ships, explosions and the possibility of scrolling around to see it all happen. Spectator-mode. :)

Once again, I would love this feature, but this is not a 'need' feature. The campaign though ...  ;)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:31:02 PM »

How about just letting us play with your dev tool. The one from the fighters video?  (EDIT: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/01/19/spotlight-fighters-pt-2-and-more/)

That's all I want.  :)  Watch crap blow up other crap. In glorious 2d.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:41:15 PM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire