Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Doomsday(s)  (Read 8849 times)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
Doomsday(s)
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:48:33 AM »

Haha, i have to bring this topic up :)

So, i recently watched i discovery show called "Doomsday Preppers" and there are quite the lunatics there. I mean, sure thing, one can prepare for a doomsday, but really?So, i thought to ask you guys here what you think of it. Will it really ever happen, or will we come up with some safety features to prevent this happening (like, say, fleeing to another planet/spaceship(be realistic here!)/station) and what are your thoughts on that situation? :D

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Doomsday(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:14:33 AM »

Haha, i have to bring this topic up :)

So, i recently watched i discovery show called "Doomsday Preppers" and there are quite the lunatics there. I mean, sure thing, one can prepare for a doomsday, but really?So, i thought to ask you guys here what you think of it. Will it really ever happen, or will we come up with some safety features to prevent this happening (like, say, fleeing to another planet/spaceship(be realistic here!)/station) and what are your thoughts on that situation? :D
If the world should happen to end on some pathetic, pre determined, bullcrap date( such as the Mayan calendar) I'll eat my own foot, people who are thick enough to believe this rubbish deserve to have the world end only for them
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 06:33:12 AM »

The current most likely cause of the destruction of the planet is when the sun decides to go "That's all, folks!" and kicks the bucket. But by that time, we'll very likely be wandering the stars or all dead from human stupidity

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 06:55:49 AM »

Well there isnt alot of stuff that could make the sun go byby. Having an extremely large object shot into it would be a probable way of destruction, with a decently sized iron ball being the most effective, as the iron disrupts the fusion and destroys the sun within some time.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »

I was talking about the sun naturally dying, which won't happen for a couple of billion years or so

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »

Yeah exactly, but by that time we are gonna be dead anyways, as the sun will expand and kill of the earth. I think a asteroid would be the most likely way of the earth to get wrecked, as you only need about a 5km asteroid to wipe out all life on earth.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:06:58 AM »

.....or all dead from human stupidity

Sounds about right
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »

Why prepare at all? If there were to be an Armageddon scenario, the chances of surviving it, prepare or not, is minimal. Even if you did prepare and happen to survive, you wouldn't survive for very long.

"The world is going to end and everyone is going to die, but I will survive because I [Insert dumbass reason here]." Derp.

It's like the whole "survive the zombie infestation" thing. A disease that infectious would have everyone dead in a few years, no matter how many zombies you can kill with a chainsaw.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 11:23:24 AM »

Yeah exactly, but by that time we are gonna be dead anyways, as the sun will expand and kill of the earth. I think a asteroid would be the most likely way of the earth to get wrecked, as you only need about a 5km asteroid to wipe out all life on earth.
Good thing the odds of an asteroid striking the Earth are....
Astronomical  8)....
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

SwipertheFox

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »

Astronomical  8)....

Add Rim Shot Here.... 
LOL  :D

legion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Total Annihilation Papercraft
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 11:58:51 AM »

Astronomical  8)....

Depends on the size of the asteroid. There are numerous small (below 5m in size) asteroids that can strike Earth at any given time, but go unnoticed. It is the big ones that are dangerous, but those we can see coming if we are looking. Then you have the really, really big ones that can smash Earth to rubble. That chance is low, but given the amount of asteroids, still bigger than winning the grand prize in a national lottery.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »

That chance is low, but given the amount of asteroids, still bigger than winning the grand prize in a national lottery.
I think I'll quote NASA on this one.
Spoiler
The first thing to remember is that space is big and empty. Which makes the chance that we will be hit by anything from space very small. In much of space, for example, large-sized objects are hundreds or thousands of light years apart. Even the asteroid belt has so much space in it, that we can send space probes through it without any problems. The asteroids in the belt are spread over a ring that is more than a billion kilometers in circumference, more than 100 million kilometers wide, and millions of kilometers thick.

The most dangerous asteroids, capable of a global disaster, are extremely rare. The threshold size is believed to be 1/2 to 1 km. These bodies impact the Earth only once every 1,000 centuries on average. Comets in this size range are thought to impact even less frequently, perhaps once every 5,000 centuries or so.

The threshold for an impact that causes widespread global mortality and threatens civilization almost certainly lies between about 0.5 and 5 km diameter, perhaps near 2 km. Impacts of objects this large occur from one to several times per million years.

No large impact has taken place within the total span of human history... It is this juxtaposition of the small probability of occurrence balanced against the enormous consequences if it does happen that makes the impact hazard such a difficult and controversial topic.

The odds of it occurring within our lifetimes is low. There are many organizations with telescopes trained to the sky, watching and tracking asteroids and comets, compiling a list of potentially hazardous objects to keep an eye on. Many of these objects are decades away from approaching the Earth which gives us a lot of time to track them in order to accurately predict their orbits.

Actually, some 100 bodies have already been discovered on orbits which take them so close to the Earth's orbit, that they could hit in the far distant future. This is because the orbits of these bodies change slowly with time. Although their orbits do not intersect Earth's orbit at present, they could hit in a few thousand years or more.

The scenario you have in mind is most likely to unfold as follows. In the course of our search for Earth-crossing asteroids, we could find one that will hit not in the next year, or even in the next ten years, but might hit in the next hundred years. We believe that the chance that we will find such an object is only 1 in 1,000, even after a complete search.

There is a much smaller chance that we would find one that could impact in the next 10 years. The chance of that happening is 1 in 10,000.
[close]

You have a better chance of winning the lottery buddy.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Elate

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »

It isn't going to happen, and if it does, I won't care. Because I'll be dead, and frankly in that situation, unless it was said space ship survival, I would want to be dead. Who would want to really survive in a Fallout-esque world? You'd likely just die of some nasty disease anyway.
They mostly come at night, mostly.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »

1 in 10,000 doesn't sound good.

Jokes aside, there was a translating error on the mayan calendar. It's not doomsday, it's a new beginning.

And hey, by the time an asteroid comes at us, we'll have a

Which will obliterate it instantly.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Elate

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »

1 in 10,000 doesn't sound good.

Jokes aside, there was a translating error on the mayan calendar. It's not doomsday, it's a new beginning.

I heard that it was simply them basically converting to a different system, someone used the example from imperial to metric and such, and we basically blew it massively out of proportion, as the public tends to do.
They mostly come at night, mostly.
Pages: [1] 2