Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Changing Proximity Fuses  (Read 3711 times)

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Changing Proximity Fuses
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »

Is it possible to make proximity fuses slightly more intelligent?

such as instead of a just exploding the moment it checks that the target is in the fuse range, it keep track of it and will only explode if the target moves away from the explosive.

e.g:

Incoming fighter 100 m from the mine
Proximity fuse set to be ABLE detonate at 75m, but for max damage must be 25m

When fighter enters the 75m radius it DOES NOT explode,
When it reaches 50m, and decides to turn away form the mine this happens
Fighter goes from 50m from the mine to 51m away - Detonate

When fighter enters the 75m radius it DOES NOT explode,
When it reaches 25m from the mine, and doesn't turn away - Detonate

Basically to make sure the mine is allowed to do the most damage possible by letting the target get as close as they can,

Only trouble I can think of is that this let's PD weapons target such proximity weapons for longer, so maybe set a threshold to detonate if .proj hp dips to like 50%

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Proximity Fuses
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »

As far as I know, er, no.  I don't think I can get a mine to do that.  Alex?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »

Flash is not asking if you can currently get a mine to do that. Remember, this is the suggestions thread. Now, I personally think this is an awesome suggestion (mainly because I have been forgetting to get around to posting the same thing). I like the extra touch with the half-hp detonation, but I wonder how this would be implemented, lore-wise. If we are talking about some form of breach detection, I think it would be reasonable to have a chance for it to go off at 50% hp, and another chance at 25%, or something like that. This is how to intelligently implement proximity weapons, and I thank you for suggesting it.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

This would be a nice touch! For ballistic or energy burst weapons like flak where PD cannot target the increased pd time wouldn't be a problem: its an interesting consideration for missiles. Fun fact for the day: this technology was first implemented about a quarter of the way through the Pacific campaign of WWII with radar fused anti aircraft shells.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:09:03 PM »

Well, it might be possible to mod this in by setting the proximity charge distance to 50 meters (or in-game units, whatever) and set the blast radius to 75 meters.

And did someone say WWII?  If there's anything to be known for that, it's me. :P
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:24:12 AM »

Well, it might be possible to mod this in by setting the proximity charge distance to 50 meters (or in-game units, whatever) and set the blast radius to 75 meters.
While that is a sensible idea for how to set your fuses using the current system, it's still not as good as the thread suggestion.

If this suggestion were implemented, it will always explode at the closest point to its target (or at a set minimum range), no matter if that's 74m or 26m, or anything in between.  It's just better than a static fuse that way, which is why it would be a lovely addition.  

Even better, if implemented as requested, this fuse system would allow projectiles with varying degrees of 'smart'ness.

A dumb mine could be set to be fused at 50m with a 50m minimum detonation, and it would behave just like the current one - explodes if anything comes within 50m, no questions asked.  On the other hand, a particularly smart weapon system could be set to 5m minimum, 500m maximum, and have a huge range of effect - this would be excellent for things which fired a second stage missile at the target, since it would wait until the best shot before firing.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:44:49 AM »

Ah, I see.  Smart mines that explode when the target is as close as possible, but when it gets farther away, it explodes.  yes.... Alex, give me a way, and I will get it done. :)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »

Protip: Alex will chose to NOT respond to threads where people call for him. He does not like to be "summoned". He said so somewhere that I can't remember. But I still agree that this would be a great thing to be able to mod in, if by mod you mean have available easily and possibly somewhat in vanilla.

EDIT: Maybe have a SMART_PROXIMITY weapon hint, or just act this way if the min/max ranges/hp threshold columns were filled in in the weapon table.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:31:27 PM by Catattack998 »

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »

What!? Alex can be summoned, it is just that most people fail at doing it right, and the consequences of abusing the power is pretty dire anyways. And if ya don't believe me, just look at the first few pages of the huske thread in GD, uomoz knows how ta summon'em.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »

Alex has specifically stated that he does not like being beckoned, though. I was just referring to that, as I don't know how to properly summon him. If you look at the suggestions threads I have created, you will see they garnered little attention from the devs (Which I am totally not a teeny bit selfishly cranky about. Nope, not at all...)

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »

Protip: Alex will chose to NOT respond to threads where people call for him. He does not like to be "summoned". He said so somewhere that I can't remember.

Were you looking for this?
(Oh yeah, I forgot the rule where I try not to post in threads that explicitly try to get me to do that without a very good reason.)

-----

If you look at the suggestions threads I have created, you will see they garnered little attention from the devs (Which I am totally not a teeny bit selfishly cranky about. Nope, not at all...)

The other half of Alex's post is also relevant here:
Actually, I try to read as much of the forum as I can - even if I can't respond to everything I'd like to.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »

Basically, alex lurks the forums more than he actually posts in them, which is pretty much what I do too most of the time, though I am starting to be more active.