Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: "hidden" missleracks ,are those bugged? (solved)  (Read 2287 times)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
"hidden" missleracks ,are those bugged? (solved)
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:47:36 AM »

It ain't giving an error or something ,but it just looks weird

the missle racks on the side look weird and even more weird is that they are supposed to be hidden.
i got this with several ships.
am i doing something wrong or is it star farer itself? its only with some missle racks.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:40:15 AM by TheHappyFace »
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: "hidden" missleracks ,are those bugged?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »

For a custom weapon, you can set "renderHints":[RENDER_LOADED_MISSILES_UNLESS_HIDDEN]

For stock Harpoons, that's what it's going to look like. It shouldn't be squishing the missiles, though. In general, HIDDEN slots are only intended for fighters, and are only going to work well there, or in TC-style mods that use their own weapons, have a different sense of scale, etc.

For example, if the missiles were completely invisible, they'd just pop into existence when fired. Wouldn't look very good.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
Re: "hidden" missleracks ,are those bugged?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »

For a custom weapon, you can set "renderHints":[RENDER_LOADED_MISSILES_UNLESS_HIDDEN]

For stock Harpoons, that's what it's going to look like. It shouldn't be squishing the missiles, though. In general, HIDDEN slots are only intended for fighters, and are only going to work well there, or in TC-style mods that use their own weapons, have a different sense of scale, etc.

For example, if the missiles were completely invisible, they'd just pop into existence when fired. Wouldn't look very good.
In some cases weapons didnt fit on the hull of my ship designs ,so i create window like places were they would shoot out
or in this case i allready created them in the concept fase.
I also made ships where the weapon mounts should actually be on the other side of the ship ,but since this isnt really possible i made them hidden.
well it seems like i got to find a better diea for the missle then.  ;)
luckily i think the ballistic and energy weapons do not look very weird in hidden state, as long as they are pointed to a place outside the ship and are close to that place.
hope i am not only one... since then i would have to redo most of my ship designs  :-\

thanks for pointing that out btw   :)

edit: editing all my sprites so i no longer need hidden mounts.... gonna be a pain with that cruiser though.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:55:03 AM by TheHappyFace »
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.