Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254880 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »

Anyway, the particular application I really wanted to ask about was: Are there people in the Sector with blue hair (or green, or pink, or some other unnatural color)?  ;D

I like the hair dye answer.

As for the setting itself, I would be of the opinion that cosmetic genetic manipulation on that level would be possible but access would be limited and expensive. It would be a sign that says "I have a lot of money to burn".

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2014, 06:39:08 PM »

I have a question David, relating to the general economic state of the sector. I was arguing that it's a trim dark post apocalyptic future where resources are fairly scarce, or the sector has very few resources in it, the ships are hundreds of years old as it is expensive and difficult to get the resources together to build them. Another persons opinion is that the sector is a resource rich proverbial bread basket .

Which do you think is the more accurate?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2014, 06:57:24 PM »

I have a question David, relating to the general economic state of the sector. I was arguing that it's a trim dark post apocalyptic future where resources are fairly scarce, or the sector has very few resources in it, the ships are hundreds of years old as it is expensive and difficult to get the resources together to build them. Another persons opinion is that the sector is a resource rich proverbial bread basket .

Which do you think is the more accurate?

Probably more the latter before the collapse of the gate system; the Sector would have been rich to be a major target of Domain colonization/terraforming efforts and this goes somewhat toward explaining why it has held together as well as it has after the collapse. But then, yes, the gate collapse and fall of Domain authority would make things a complete mess, disrupting the galactic economy quite entirely, causing resources to be diverting toward basic survival, autarkical policies, and crude military armaments rather than infrastructure, commerce, or industrial development at anything like the previous level of sophistication.

Can you both be sorta right?

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2014, 07:12:54 PM »

So you would describe the economic situation over all to be 'Struggling day to day and surviving, but overall the sector is dying a slow death'?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »

How does the Hegemony view free enterprise? Is the economy completely nationalized? Do they permit or even encourage local businesses, but restrict or ban outside firms? Or are the megacorps (the ones that aren't Tri-Tachyon, at any rate) allowed to operate freely in Hegemony space?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 24, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »

So you would describe the economic situation over all to be 'Struggling day to day and surviving, but overall the sector is dying a slow death'?

I would qualify and handwave left and right to avoid giving a canonical answer because I think the answer most truly lies in the game that the player experiences. (Man, I must be in an artistic mood or something to give a horrible vague reply like this. If you like, "sure" also serves as an answer.)

How does the Hegemony view free enterprise? Is the economy completely nationalized? Do they permit or even encourage local businesses, but restrict or ban outside firms? Or are the megacorps (the ones that aren't Tri-Tachyon, at any rate) allowed to operate freely in Hegemony space?

More details about this will appear in the next update! It's going to be fun!

Short answer: No, the economy is not nationalized. Domestic affairs may vary quite a bit between different worlds ruled by the Hegemony, though certain standards apply. The needs of the military do come first, and interstellar/interplanetary commerce and industrial policy is regulated, sometimes heavily depending on circumstances, to meet military goals. Interstellar megacorps are allowed to operate within Hegemony space provided they pay their duties and follow the rules.

Shorter answer: The Hegemony is a hegemony.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2014, 08:14:29 PM »

Thanks for all the answers, David!  :)

Okay, a couple of questions involving the new update:

1) Is it normal that the Sector's population appears to be so low? Even the "core" worlds we've seen have people numbering in the millions (10^6), and Jangala (Corvus II) is even a mere 10^5. Lots of present day Earth cities are bigger than that.

2) The Kanta's Den tooltip says that Kanta is "nearly two hundred years old." What kind of life extension technologies exist in the Sector, and how long can you last with them?

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »

Well, there are harvested organs in the sector. He could be a rambling fool locked up out of siight because nearly every organ in his body being replaced (minus his degrading brain), or maybe he is just dead. In both situations, I could see Kanta as a rallying point for all pirates in both body and mind.

Late night Inglush....

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2014, 09:38:43 PM »

1) Is it normal that the Sector's population appears to be so low? Even the "core" worlds we've seen have people numbering in the millions (10^6), and Jangala (Corvus II) is even a mere 10^5. Lots of present day Earth cities are bigger than that.

2) The Kanta's Den tooltip says that Kanta is "nearly two hundred years old." What kind of life extension technologies exist in the Sector, and how long can you last with them?

1. I see the Sector as colonized fairly recently (as in, well under a thousand years of habitation), so I didn't want to really load the population on. Plus, the surface of Jangala is not itself urbanized, just the orbiting station. Then again, what of the scale of colonization? I'm coming around to bumping many of these numbers up by a factor of two, but perhaps after a few more systems are introduced so it doesn't throw the economy too out of whack.

2. I would consider the limit of lifetime to be entirely a factor of wealth and avoiding any applicable technological regulations.

Well, there are harvested organs in the sector. He could be a rambling fool locked up out of siight because nearly every organ in his body being replaced (minus his degrading brain), or maybe he is just dead. In both situations, I could see Kanta as a rallying point for all pirates in both body and mind.

(She, btw.)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2014, 04:07:19 AM »

Ok question for you here: Why was Infernium removed and basically replaced by antimatter?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »

Ok question for you here: Why was Infernium removed and basically replaced by antimatter?

They're used in essentially the same way as 'handwavium' fuel. What it comes down to is a matter of narrative tone; I think Infernium is a bit more Dune / Warhammer 40k while I want to aim for something a little more Alastair Reynolds.

I don't want to remove it entirely: the Luddic factions should  still refer to AM as "Infernium". (There just hasn't been an opportunity to demonstrate this in-game yet.)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »

1. I see the Sector as colonized fairly recently (as in, well under a thousand years of habitation), so I didn't want to really load the population on. Plus, the surface of Jangala is not itself urbanized, just the orbiting station. Then again, what of the scale of colonization? I'm coming around to bumping many of these numbers up by a factor of two, but perhaps after a few more systems are introduced so it doesn't throw the economy too out of whack.

I think it depends on the resource supply situation. Populations can explode extremely quickly given the chance. I can see the population of the Luddic planets being in the hundreds of millions or low billions (if their faith is geared towards having large families, as many are). Granted the GDP output of each person would be astonishingly low compared to the rest of the planets, but the food potential is there. For Jengala, it all depends on what the Hegemony thinks is sustainable and how much resources they put into those orbital burns and farming.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2014, 02:09:42 PM »

I see the Sector as colonized fairly recently (as in, well under a thousand years of habitation), so I didn't want to really load the population on. Plus, the surface of Jangala is not itself urbanized, just the orbiting station. Then again, what of the scale of colonization? I'm coming around to bumping many of these numbers up by a factor of two, but perhaps after a few more systems are introduced so it doesn't throw the economy too out of whack.

Also worth asking, in the context of population numbers, what the autofactory technology changes in the way of minimum viable populations for colonization. It's not quite 'everything comes out of the magic machine', but it's got to change a lot of fundamental assumptions about logistics.

People might also have lots of children simply because they can, on 'empty' worlds with relatively benign biospheres where there's not much competition for resources yet (or wasn't before the Fall). Lack of selection against and all that.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »

In the mouse-over text for Skathi, the Tri-Tachyon world in the Valhalla system, it states that the hegemony granted Tri-Tach a license for development. I was under the impression that tri-tach and Hegemony were in an active state of hostilities towards eachother, and assumed that would preclude legal cooperation on things like that. Am I wrong, or is the idea of Tri-Tach being changed?

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »

In the mouse-over text for Skathi, the Tri-Tachyon world in the Valhalla system, it states that the hegemony granted Tri-Tach a license for development. I was under the impression that tri-tach and Hegemony were in an active state of hostilities towards eachother, and assumed that would preclude legal cooperation on things like that. Am I wrong, or is the idea of Tri-Tach being changed?

Yes. I'd like to move Tri-Tach's relationship with the Hegemony to be less "shooting war" and more wary, with both sides finding the other useful but with goals at odds leading to various unfortunate 'incidents' that both sides cover up/gloss over afterward. The Hegemony should then get a worthy opponent to have wars with (or two? more? who knows!).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 31