Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254856 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2014, 04:34:10 PM »

What limits the ability of mini-facs?  Lack of Universal Access Chips?  Size?  Resources?
Yes, I think those are the limiting factors, besides time of course. There are also likely digital restrictions on (some of) the UACs hat limit production in some way, as seen with fighter wings.

If you own a full-size factory somewhere could you churn out unlimited numbers of mini-facs if you have the UAC?  Can mini-facs make other mini-facs (maybe in several pieces like some self-replicating 3D printers do)?

We know there are mini-autofactories on board carriers, if not all ships. Since you can build carriers, you can obviously build their autofacs, too.

It would be really, really cool if mini-facs (or maybe call this type "mini-refineries"?) on Industrial spaceships could produce supplies from raw materials if you buy enough UACs.  Food from comets, technology from asteroids, and Infernium from whatever.

I strongly suspect that supplies are actually the raw material for autofactories on board ships. How else could you explain that even the last crate of supplies always provides what you need most at any given moment, be it food, armor plates or ammunition?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »

I strongly suspect that supplies are actually the raw material for autofactories on board ships. How else could you explain that even the last crate of supplies always provides what you need most at any given moment, be it food, armor plates or ammunition?

That is an awesome synergy of lore and game design!

I'm still wishing for shipboard mini-refineries on Industrial ships that make supplies ;)
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 26, 2014, 06:56:38 PM »

It recently occurred to me that I should ask what exactly is Infernium? As far as I am aware it has never been described exactly what it is or where it comes from. The reason why I am concerned about this suddenly, is so that I am not conflicting with the canon lore with the description of this ship from my TIM mod.

"What is the pinnacle of pirate strength? An image that strikes fear into the heart of every captain? An entity that has been boiling, growing and terrorizing its way across countless worlds? The gargantuan mass that is the Infernal Machine is the very symbol of defiance against governance; the huge, lumbering mass which challenges even the Paragon.

Ironically the now unstoppable Machine was once a benevolent, maternal figure to the budding sector industry. It’s systems would strip entire gas giants of their Infernium, and then process the raw fuel into potent stardrive propellant. 100 cycles ago this behemoth fell into the hands of certain individual, whose purpose was less than benevolent... The ship was refitted to suit a grander purpose: Piracy. In the cycles leading up to the present, the Machine has “acquired” new captains, whether the previous owner was willing or not. Those many previous caretakers would modify, expand and customize the craft to their desire.

Captain Blackadder was a famous pirate lord, who used the Infernal Machine to destroy several Hegemony battleships. He personally salvaged the massive Thermal Pulse Cannons from his conquests, and added them to the Machine’s own arsenal. But there were many other pirate lords to come, each one adding their tribute to the Infernal Machine’s awe-inspiring hull, furthering the blight of pirate terrorism. The current whereabouts of the dreadnought are known to only a few, but it should suffice to say that anyone looking must surely have a death wish."

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »

infernium is a substance found in trace amounts in essentially everything, I don't know exactly what it is though other than the fact that it powers all our infernium drives

mmm.... tartiflette

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2014, 04:16:02 AM »

From my understanding it is somewhat questionable if infernium will remain as part of the lore at all. It was supposed to be fuel and there were plans for an infernium injector, but both applications seem to have been scrapped or at least suspended. Was fuel originally called infernium ingame or am I misremembering that? Maybe it will have a comeback when ressource mining is introduced. Maybe David will introduce his own ideas about this.

In the original lore it is described as very rare element, present in all matter, usually in crystalline form. Rumored to be of extradimensional origin.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »

Alex and I have talked about it and I'm going to take a slightly different angle than what the existing material implies. I'll let that information make it's way to you guys through the proper context in-game. :)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »

Hmmm, yummy information :)

Thank you guys, guess I will leave that description alone for the time being...

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2014, 06:45:40 PM »

Is there any research and development in the Sector and if so is Tri-Tachyon doing it?  Is there any way to make new Universal Access Chips (even though they are probably far inferior to what the pre-Collapse UACs contain)?  Does this help slow the decline?

Also sorry for not putting the State of biotechnology in the Sector question in this thread.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:48:52 PM by Hari Seldon »

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2014, 10:32:20 PM »

Is there any research and development in the Sector and if so is Tri-Tachyon doing it?  Is there any way to make new Universal Access Chips (even though they are probably far inferior to what the pre-Collapse UACs contain)?  Does this help slow the decline?

Also sorry for not putting the State of biotechnology in the Sector question in this thread.

I suppose it is obvious to say that there is no game mechanic of research or UACs in the game right now (so I haven't had to make any hard decisions about the narrative background for a bunch of stuff to do with them).

As for biotech, what we know so far is this: there are harvested organs, so clearly the technology exists to transplant them fairly easily, which implies medical technology which enables fairly cavalier modification of the human body (if one can afford it). Likewise, planets can be terraformed, though such a process is astoundingly expensive, even more so in the post-Collapse Sector. Terran life has been modified for commercial purposes as well as to populate terraformed planets, partially-terraformed planets, and adapted to planets with pre-existing non-terran ecosystems.

Tri-Tachyon is all about using cutting-edge technology now that Domain oversight is gone, so if there is research/industrial espionage/combat archaeology happening they will certainly be involved or trying to become involved. (Meanwhile, the Luddic Cults would be a great deal less enthusiastic about such things; indeed, quite enthusiastic about stopping people who wish to play God.)

And as may have been implied here and there, the Domain was very conservative when it came to unfettered research and extreme genetic engineering. So now that the Gates are gone and the Domain's power broken ... well, who knows what you'll find in the Sector? ;)

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »

And as may have been implied here and there, the Domain was very conservative when it came to unfettered research and extreme genetic engineering. So now that the Gates are gone and the Domain's power broken ... well, who knows what you'll find in the Sector? ;)
Cool :)

How are the Gates "gone"?  The ships were waiting at the Gates hoping they would open again and reconnect the Sector to the Domain so the Gates were off but in good condition.  The people in the Sector cannot reopen the Gates to outside of the Sector of course but why could they not reconnect the Gates to each other within the Sector because they can have technicians at both ends of the connections?  Did Task Force Pollux not have the Gate military codes to help with that?  When they could not set up their own Gate network inside the Sector were the Gates broken down for scrap?  Did reverse-engineering the Gates fail?  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:30:18 AM by Hari Seldon »

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »

Terran life has been modified for commercial purposes as well as to populate terraformed planets, partially-terraformed planets, and adapted to planets with pre-existing non-terran ecosystems.

So wait, you're trying to say that the 'humans'  in SS are not necessarily 'human' genetically speaking? We're talking gills to breathe underwater, enhanced or additional bone structure to cope with higher gravity - even going so far as to genetically create a class of humanoids that have no volition whatsoever and are effectively slaves that will never rise up? Are we talking potentially talking about 'humans' in rather inverted commas that have more than 46 chromosomes?

I mean certainly in the game there are cybernetic implants for targetting etc, and I suppose that infers all manner of cybernetic man/machine interface enhancements are available.

I mean...I guess it doesn't matter at all for space combat...or much of the campaign, but yeah I suppose it is interesting.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »

Terran life has been modified for commercial purposes as well as to populate terraformed planets, partially-terraformed planets, and adapted to planets with pre-existing non-terran ecosystems.

So wait, you're trying to say that the 'humans'  in SS are not necessarily 'human' genetically speaking? We're talking gills to breathe underwater, enhanced or additional bone structure to cope with higher gravity - even going so far as to genetically create a class of humanoids that have no volition whatsoever and are effectively slaves that will never rise up? Are we talking potentially talking about 'humans' in rather inverted commas that have more than 46 chromosomes?

My key word here is "Terran life" not necessarily "human beings". I'm talking more like modifying sugarcane to grow in a hot, high sulfur environment while building up certain hydrocarbons, less making humans into fish-people (which would have been banned in the Domain anyway).

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2014, 05:52:56 AM »

Hmm, I was going to ask about genetic modification of humans in the lore, when it turns out the last few posts in the thread were about them. Convenient!

Anyway, the particular application I really wanted to ask about was: Are there people in the Sector with blue hair (or green, or pink, or some other unnatural color)?  ;D

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »

Yeah, they use hair dye ????

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »

Yeah, they use hair dye ????
Yeah, you could do that, but... well.

(well we could just assume that hair dyes in the future are guaranteed super effective and have no adverse effects)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31