Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: The Lore Corner  (Read 254999 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Lore Corner
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »

Judging by the looks of them, they're a tinpot sorta dictatorship, independent of the hegemony.

What looks? Do you mean name and fleet configuration or did I miss something?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »

well, name (diktat? really?)
their size (HSDF dwarfs their garrison)
and the fact that they orbit a dead planet (I'd much rather live on Corvus II)

idk, it's just the vibe to them I guess

EDIT: also their lion's guard... Sounds like quite a militaristic society to give their elites that kind of name
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:12:03 PM by gunnyfreak »
mmm.... tartiflette

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2013, 05:19:30 PM »

its funny the name diktat reminds me of the daktaklakpak from Sc3 but the vibe they give off is rather like the miniature hegemony. Huh now that I think about it... there is the hegemony and the hegemonic crux. Kind of funny actually. But back to the lore side, why on earth would they still kind on there planet?? its like a wreck and really close to Askonia's star
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »

Having (a) planet is better than having NO planet.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2013, 07:43:40 AM »

The game really could benefit from having some sort of rudimentary narrative soon.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 29, 2013, 05:24:28 AM »

really need some faction stuff in the codex :)
Also the Sindrian must be better police since there are no established pirate bases, yet.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 29, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »

I'm guessing the sindrians are some sort of 1984 level psychotic autarchy.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2013, 11:21:59 AM »

Anyone got a good explanation for how the fighter mechanic works lore-wise?

I suppose this much I can assume from the lore of 0.51a: Fighters are build on board of carriers, probably on mini-autofactories, out of supplies. For this the autofactory needs a UAC with a blueprint, which also contains a production license and artificial limits for production. Fighters hulls can not be build instantaneous, but a stockpile of them is build and stored (probably very compactly folded), to be activated when needed. Only a limited amount of fighters can be activated at any given time, controlled by the UAC.
So far, so good, but a few questions are left unanswered:

- Why is the CR lowered for every subsequently activated fighter? Mh, maybe wear on the pilots, and/or wear on the autofactory and the people controlling the activation process so more mistakes are made.

- Why can't any fighters be activated for the duration of the battle if all active fighters of that wing have been destroyed? I can't think of any reason but a software function of the UAC, but what would be the purpose of such a function?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »

I have no idea if this is how fighters work but here it goes.

So why only the set number of fighters could be deployed is because that's all that the computers on board the ships can control, and if they are all destroyed it also destroys the AI on board making the fights still on the carrier practically have no brain to fly or be flown.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:50 PM »

Think of it like this, Gothars.

It takes a good chunk of a day to manufacture a fighter from supplies. Fights take place over the span of a few minutes. So, fighters get manufactured over time, and stored up on board carriers. They don't have enough time to manufacture fighters from existing supplies on board the fleet over the span of the battle.

As for the fighter CR degradation, think of it like this. You've just survived being blasted apart in your fighter, and have loaded up into a new one. Just how steady on your feet are you going to be after that? In addition, it could very well be that on average, to save on resources, only the initial 'wing' of fighters are kept in tip-top condition, and the others are gradually of lesser quality. That, in combination with crew stress and flight controllers could be suffering from combat fatigue over repeated launches.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #175 on: October 04, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »

The real joke is that a fighter that comes back without a single scratch on the paint still costs as much supplies (via CR) to replace as one that got blown out of existence.

Actually, I think I'll make a thread in the Suggestions forum to have this changed.

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 04, 2013, 02:18:08 AM »

I'll admit, that is a little absurd. You'd think that it'd be a quick calculation based on how damaged it was, and how much ammo was expended.

NanoMatter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »

What opperating systems did they had? (Ex. Windows 1000000000000 Or iOS 1000000000000000000000)

What traditions that may have made it? (Chinese, American, or Russian) What was the traditions that came from Terran.

One wierd question, Toilets.....

What kind of food are in those suppies.... Some wierd squishy square of essential nutrients or variety of foods (Chinese, Indian, Cajun, or Italian.

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2013, 12:05:01 PM »

Why can't any fighters be activated for the duration of the battle if all active fighters of that wing have been destroyed?

ready pilots:
-pilot dies in fielded fighter
-new pilot is a lazy sod/in cryo storage
--can not be fielded in a new hull untill defrosted

Why can't more fighters be launched even if they have been built?

simple reason:
-carrier has 1 launch bay per wing
--1 launch bay can launch/recover X numer of fighters per minute
-fighter have fule/cr limits and maintenance requirments
--can only remain operational for Y minuutes before they have to redock
-Y/X*2=fighter number that can be out of ship at any given moment
-- ie fighter can operat for 10 minutes, so [10 min/1 bay  * 2 [1launch/1recover]] and you have a max of 5 fighters that can be fielded at any one time

why planetery defence cannons can not be more powerfull then space borne weapons:
Spoiler
I don't agree with that, getting a giant cannon (or what have you) into space is a lot harder than just building it on the ground. planetary batteries should be more effective simply by weight class (although there is the problem of projectiles leaving atmos, but I'd like to think they're beyond that at this point.

Then we have a battle of spaceships vs (presumably) far heavier ground based batteries, which means it is more efficient to send troops planetside to take care of these assets, the planetary defenders deploy their own ground troops in response, etc. etc.
[close]
-simple physics in atmosphere (and not in space)
--sound travels at 340m/s
--heat is transfered to atmospher (at over 10k kelvin the air itself will go [boom])
--bad things happen when you use gamma ray/gravometric/reletevistic/nuclear/antimater/[mass driver] weaponry near densly populated areas
---most of the time said area becomes far less populated, in a verry short period of time
--recoil
---planets are not fond of moving, so big recoil breaks things(likt the gun)
----ships are fairly light, thus absorb recoil of massive weapons much beter (by moving backwards from the recoil)
-long story short
--big gun make people go splat when it shoots into space through the atmosphere
---missiles are still viable surface to space weapons, but they are much more viable in orbit/space

note: planetary bombardment is sorta like that too, except in reverse! because when killing a planet, setting its atmosphere on fire and shatering windows of building in a 1000km blast radious due to mass driver hits is a GOOD THING!

There are still no Jump Gates in the game
Spoiler
, just access points for local hyperspace. That enables travelling to neighboring stars, but doesn't connect the Sector to the rest of the galaxy. So the lore stays just like it is.
[close]
Spoiler
The BISO teleportation drives will use a teleportation beacon (the size of a star) to aim their long range teleports, but tecnicaly they are aliend from BEYOND, also at some ponit I WILL ADD CUTHULU TO THE GAME!
[close]

i just applied myself to some of the questions i saw here that had simple answers
occam's razor! the simplest solution is the most beliveable
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:46:14 PM by dmaiski »
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2013, 02:45:29 AM »

Hi there, I've been reading through the posts here, and was a bit curious about the possible role of (relatively) large mercenary bands with their own planet and shipyards. Although it would often be prudent for smaller bands of ships to simply join one of the existing factions, I'm sure there are some principled enough or stupid enough to try to head out on their own, and occasionally succeed. (Not because I'm too lazy to think of backstory that isn't mercenaries, of course! :P) The sector is so huge, after all, who knows what or who is out there!
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31