Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365070 times)

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #735 on: December 02, 2012, 07:02:31 AM »

If they generated FP, first of all, that means you can have an infinite amount of command ships and a fleet that expands into infinity, wouldn't really work, even if they cost half of the FP they generate, that means that you can have another command ship in that extra 5 FP the other one unlocks, and that would also expand into infinity, if they were to cost more than that, they wouldn't have any good purpose and nobody would buy them,

That is true. At the same time, you'll have a practical supply/cargo limit to contend with (fuel as well once travel gets implemented). I get your point though, but there are technically other aspect of the mechanics that would limit the FP/ship count of fleet. Supply could be one of them. Eventually you'll be feeding crew at a rate too high to sustain with either by cargo capacity or sheer supply, uh, supply within game. Though granted, with the current numbers, that still won't really work. You'd get get a MASSIVE fleet before the supply issue gets truly impractical. (It's pretty generous at 100 crew/supply/day.)

But yeah, with current mechanics in place, it wouldn't work and I'm pretty aware of that fact. (It'd only work in other games that have a material cost for ships, kinda like Homeworld.) The only other option would be to make command ships VERY rare to buy, hard as hell to capture, and EXPENSIVE as crap to manufacture (with the blueprint being nuts to acquire in the first place).

BTW, LVL 60 would net you all (3) current Aptitudes maxed, but not all skills maxed. That's only ~120SP and there's more than 12 skills total... Plus the XP requirements past about LVL46 make it fairly impractical for all but hardcore players to attain higher levels. I myself am resorting to mods that introduce more factions and higher spawn rates to help mitigate that currently. Also, you do get passive SP per level. It's part of the system. 2SP/LVL, no? The FP thing I would go for is a minor one. 45FP @ LVL40 with no investment in Fleet Apts is kinda wrong. But I think 30-35FP at LVL40 is reasonable.

Lastly, did someone mention command ships that generate SP? I know I didn't. That'd be just utterly wrong...

WhiteAvatar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 02, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »

Amazing game man, here's to the successful release!

Saw some youtube videos on this game and I bought it, and I'm glad I did  ;D

Cheers!  ;)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 02, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »

Cheers!  ;)

Welcome to the forum! .o/

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 03, 2012, 12:32:08 AM »

Cheers!  ;)

Oh, agreed! I got my money's worth from the game in the first month alone.

That was well over a year ago.  ;D

Ronald Klein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 03, 2012, 06:11:50 AM »

Cheers!  ;)

If any game deserves 50$ or euros when it's done it is this one,not the "AAA" titles that you get bored of in one week.I've been playing this baby for nearly a year now and it is still awesome.Considering it's alpha state...That's pretty damned good.

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 03, 2012, 06:47:21 AM »

Cheers!  ;)

If any game deserves 50$ or euros when it's done it is this one,not the "AAA" titles that you get bored of in one week.I've been playing this baby for nearly a year now and it is still awesome.Considering it's alpha state...That's pretty damned good.

Agree with these guys. So far, the only games that can compare to this one in terms of cost/hours spent are Minecraft and Garrys Mod.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 03, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »

Agree with these guys. So far, the only games that can compare to this one in terms of cost/hours spent are Minecraft and Garrys Mod.

KSP, M&B, EVE online, and Dwarf fortress

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:29 AM »

KSP, M&B, EVE online, and Dwarf fortress
I purposely excluded EVE Online, because it's an MMO. I pay 15 euro every month, and don't play several hundred hours every month, so it's nowhere close to any of the ones I mentioned.
Now, KSP and M&B, I have played for a few hours each, but not even close to the amount of hours I've played the other games I mentioned. Can't say anything about Dwarf Fortress, haven't played that game at all.

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 05, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »

this game is taking too long! I want a universe to explore!

I feel as though sometimes this game is suffering from the Infinity syndrome, where the guy spent years trying to perfect, how a planet looks, how space backgrounds and particle dust and nebula looks, and forgot ;the game;

so far starfarer has great combat, excellent gameplay in this regard, and design goals, but what game is there?

Need more to be held!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:01 AM »

Perhaps the next patch can use some code akin the Vacuum mod, which makes a whole new system each time.

With more restraints and such, of course.  Like there's can't be 5 pirate bases one one map. :P
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 05, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »

I feel as though sometimes this game is suffering from the Infinity syndrome, where the guy spent years trying to perfect, how a planet looks, how space backgrounds and particle dust and nebula looks, and forgot ;the game;
That is not what is happening here. Every major patch bring something new. I do not see "Infinity syndrome", here.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 05, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »

this games stuff is so good its crying out for a sandbox Smiley
and multiplayer!!

kickstart, hire a network programmer, build, sell , profit!

youd probably surpass a million dollars on KS with the popularity of SF and what you can show with it right now, especially if you released a demo or something.

I know youve said a KS campaign is a big deal and time consuming, it is. But look at Star citizen, you are very similar to him in that you have accomplished a lot already before your kick starter, have a lot to show for it, not just concept art. Your fan base is already there, its a recipe for success. Set a modest goal of 100k if you like, but watch it expand with stretch goals.

Take a month off from dev, and market it on KS, the game might gain far more in the end.

just want to help, thanks,

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 05, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »

I've been thoroughly enjoying the new patch.  The character building system has added a new and enjoyable dynamic.  The system seems interesting and well balanced.  I shall be quite interested to see how this develops with officers and antagonistic/ally characters in the final game. 

I do wonder if you'll have social interactions with your Officers similarly to Mount and Blade or in a Bioware game or whether your relationship will be purely statistic, such as in Leylines or Endless Space.  Both offer different possibilities, the latter is possibly preferable for long term playability in a procedurally generated sector.

I'm personally pleased to report that using a Phase Cloak as a Ship System does work now.  Thanks for fixing that Alex!  I've already put it to work in my mod on the ships I intended it for (though now I'm going to have to muck around with the phasing sprites again when I've decided which method is best.)

I can see both sides of the argument for Kickstarter.  It could bring in some helpful revenue but it could also bring additional complications.  I can also understand a desire for keeping the dev team small and intimate.  If this was my baby, I'd want to keep it close too.  The pace of development is very slow, but each update has been lovingly crafted. 
Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 06, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »

Please just don't reply to off-topic stuff.

So the more I play this patch the more I love it. Character progression is great. It's fun seeing the big and small ways you are improving. And it's maddening when you feel like you've wasted some potential (ie put points where you dont want them). It makes the choice really hard to make, haha. But then again the points are not arbitrarily limited, so you just figure out what you want next and move on. Try to make the most of what you've done.

So I think this is the perfect start for the campaign. If it all feels like this it will be peerless.  :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:44:24 PM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Cruis.In

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 06, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

especially if its not worth talking about.

and who decides whats worth it or not. Certainly not you.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52