Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365019 times)

Luringen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #720 on: November 29, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »

@firstattak1: Again, you can't both have large buffs to individual ships and to fleet size. You either go with a large fleet where you get few bonuses to your controlled ship, or you buff your ship. Like Alex said, this gives us who prefer smaller fleets a fighting chance. If you had been able to have both, a large fleet with many buffs, you would be overpowered. If you want to just own larger fleets, you get officers for it, and send them off on their own.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »

@firstattak1: Again, you can't both have large buffs to individual ships and to fleet size. You either go with a large fleet where you get few bonuses to your controlled ship, or you buff your ship. Like Alex said, this gives us who prefer smaller fleets a fighting chance. If you had been able to have both, a large fleet with many buffs, you would be overpowered. If you want to just own larger fleets, you get officers for it, and send them off on their own.

Exactly so.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 29, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »

i think the level progression as is is just about fast enough but well see in the final games the problem is some one us have A LOT of time on their hands *looks at ValkyriaL* while there are many people who simply dont have much than say 1-2 hours a day....so it must be really hard to say which group has more rights ;) there could be a simple choice just like with the ironman mode where youd get a certain exp multiplier say 1,0; 0,5; and for those really hardcore games we could have 0,2 or even 0,1

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »

the problem is some one us have A LOT of time on their hands *looks at ValkyriaL*

Oi, what do you mean by that? i play starfarer 4 hours tops.  ::) got school duties you know.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 29, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »

the problem is some one us have A LOT of time on their hands *looks at ValkyriaL*

Oi, what do you mean by that? i play starfarer 4 hours tops.  ::) got school duties you know.
i mean nothing at all ;) just saying some of us have more time than others and 4 hours i still more than what others may have ;)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 29, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »

OMG! So i was testing My (gauss/HD combo)  Conquest vs vanilla Conquest. Here it is:
Spoiler

[close]
And it act funny. He gos left right then try to hit him with nose PD's. So i remove frontal pd start fight again and same thing... It feel somewhat meh. And then i got an idea. Lets put him against 2x Enforcer (one with spammer rockets and other with Sabot and Reaper), 2x Lasher and 1xMule. And then OMGOMGOMGWTFOMGWTFOMG!
HE KICK THEIR METAL BEHIND TO NEXT GALAXY!!!! (ok he didn't because he's left without ammo  ;D ;D )
Funny movement, left-right now looked like dance. Damn i couldn't pilot that ship better  ;D

Great job on AI man.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 29, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »

I do see your point, well I guess it's just me...so I play 1-4 hours a day. And I'm still level 18~ guess its just me....

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 29, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »

Farm small ships to build a reasonable fleet and then sit on top the pirate planet, you will be level 40 before you know it.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 29, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »

If you have high-tech ships, auto-resolve is your friend

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 30, 2012, 12:51:44 AM »

So far, I haven't lost a single ship, and I'm primarily fighting the large pirate fleets. My fleet consists of an apogee, a medusa and two tempests, with only enough points spent in leadership to be within the FP limit, with the rest spent on gunnery, speed, flux, and ordnance points.

The game is a lot better now, and is a lot of fun to play. The leveling feels about right. It's not too fast, but doesn't take too long either.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:54:34 AM by xanderh »

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 30, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »

If you have high-tech ships, auto-resolve is your friend
works with big ships as well and they dont need to be high tech...i can autoresolve pretty much anything with my onslaught/hyperion combo

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 30, 2012, 01:05:39 PM »

So far, I haven't lost a single ship, and I'm primarily fighting the large pirate fleets. My fleet consists of an apogee, a medusa and two tempests, with only enough points spent in leadership to be within the FP limit, with the rest spent on gunnery, speed, flux, and ordnance points.

The game is a lot better now, and is a lot of fun to play. The leveling feels about right. It's not too fast, but doesn't take too long either.
I use the same build but with 2 medusas ( lost my 3rd on iron mode)
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 01, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »

Isn't the current FP limit only 120?

25FP (Start) + 20FP (2x10) Fleet Aptitude Bonus + 50FP (5x10) Fleet Logistics (MAXED) + 25FP Coordinated Maneuvers (@LVL5)

Or was the prior discussion taking into account the 50% leeway before accidents come into play? (I'm assuming yes since the number stated are 37 and 180.)

Personally, rather than an abstracted Fleet Point limit system, I've always thought of integrating the fleet size limit into the basic history/mechanics of the game via required comm channels between vessels. Though it probably wouldn't work for Starfarer with the way it's currently set up. The tought would be that ships can either use up "Fleet Channels" or actually PROVIDE Fleet Channels. I.E. You can PURCHASE ships (Command Ships) that let you expand your fleet size (or "coordinate your fleet" in-universe). You can't trade off OP and other stats in return for the expanded fleet bonus.

Problem is it complicates the vessel deployment system for battles: would you NEED to deploy the command vessels in order to maximize your fleet deplyment in a fight? Or can you withold them to prevent their possible destruction in a fight? If you HAVE to deploy them, how would you revamp the deployment system in place now to take that into account? (I can SORTA imagine a way, but it's a bit complicated for me to explain right now...) It's this complication and conflict with the current system (plus balancing) that prevents me from making it a real suggestion.

Still, it WOULD be sorta nice to have some sort of PASSIVE FP gain simply from leveling up. Though an extra 20FP (Level 40 char, 1FP/2 LVLs) would be mildly OP for investor of solely Tech and Combat Aptitudes, so I understand the choice involved there to balance it out a bit. Combat aptitudes mainly make you a one-ship armada. Tech Aptitudes enhance a whole fleet (plus a few player-only bonuses). A Fleet/Tech build is completely viable, really. The current soft cap for levels only lets you truly pursue 2 aptitudes to master.

Though I'm thinking maybe a 1FP/4 LVLs bonus might be viable. Actually, WILL there be ANY passive bonus given to the play simply for leveling up? Or will the system be entirely base on point distribution? (I'm also kinda worried about the point distro once industry comes into play. Current point amounts work VERY well for building a force to be reckoned with. Once industry comes into play, that's another aptitude contending for points that, with 4 available aptitude to play with, will feel VERY limited/precious. Especially with the unlikely appearance of char respec'ing.)

Also, any chance there will be campaign missions/quests that either grant more player assignable APs/SPs or ones that will automatically level a specific, fixed skill (or freely assignable by the player, but limited to a specific aptitude)?

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 02, 2012, 12:12:02 AM »

(I'm assuming yes since the number stated are 37 and 180.)
You are assuming right.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 02, 2012, 03:26:38 AM »

Yeah its going to be limited, so what? that's the whole point... if you want to go industry and build ships and trade, your going to have to give up something else to do that, you cant have them all because that would be ***.

As i have said before and a few others, Passive FP/SP per level is a no no, if you want a big fleet that roflstomps everything, you go leadership/tech, you want a very powerful fleet of about 5-6 ships you go Tech/combat and if you want to build stuff you go industry.

And you don't have to re spec, at level 60, you have 3/4 aptitudes completely maxed out with all skills at lvl 10, i know because i dragged my butt all the way there.

About command ships, i think a thread about those were started but never really got anywhere.

If they generated FP, first of all, that means you can have an infinite amount of command ships and a fleet that expands into infinity, wouldn't really work, even if they cost half of the FP they generate, that means that you can have another command ship in that extra 5 FP the other one unlocks, and that would also expand into infinity, if they were to cost more than that, they wouldn't have any good purpose and nobody would buy them,

If they generated SP, yeah.. imagine yourself you have 1 capital ship and 10 command ships, you have all skills in the game and your one capital ship can single handed, destroy the SDF or any other endgame fleet all by itself, (not that it cant do that now) and that's going to need some nerfing, the skills are to powerful.

I have never written this much in one comment, hope it makes sense. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52