Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365155 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #585 on: November 23, 2012, 07:28:33 PM »

That's true.  It's meant to be like that, make with what you have. :) Research some more, and you get rewarded.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 23, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »

Huh, I wonder how I missed that!  :-[ Fair enough :P

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 23, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »

I just noticed that the fleet command tutorial breaks and won't let you progress if one of your wasp wings are dead by the time you are ordered to select them both.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 23, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »

I just noticed that the fleet command tutorial breaks and won't let you progress if one of your wasp wings are dead by the time you are ordered to select them both.

Thanks - I'll have to do something about that (probably some rather ham-fisted damage reduction to the player's ships...). I never had that happen in my testing, but apparently those low-tech ships are meaner than I thought :)

Chancellor Meatsteak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 23, 2012, 09:09:41 PM »

Is there any particular reason Gunnery Implants is a Technology skill and not a Combat one? Given it only effects your ship it would seem to make more sense for the latter.

Similarly, Field Repairs seems more like a Leadership skill, even if it fits in thematically with Technology. Field Repairs is useful for maintaining your fleet, which seems to be the point of Leadership, rather than making your ships stronger, which seems to be the point of Technology. If it is an Industry skill temporarily placed under Technology one could still argue that it makes more sense for Leadership, as I imagine Industry will focus on making money rather than preventing losses, though if ship-building becomes a part of the game and is governed by Industry it would make sense that the same skill for building ships is also used for repairing them.

There also a couple of minor inconsistencies like the Missile Specialization giving hullmods and Ordnance Expertise's second perk affecting the entire fleet, both of which seem like Technology effects despite being part of Combat skills.

All that however are just very minor quibbles with what is otherwise an excellent update. Keep up the good work!

illNero

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 23, 2012, 09:44:42 PM »

Uh, am I the only one getting this problem? I can't seem to download 0.54a, been getting this error

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>DED58357A259CD22</RequestId>
<HostId>
VK1jSGZe5UXgrO629Z0UiYPnXsV2S+IcnOPwSNMhbmXCxLBcf31wjeQ6DAvCk6VC
</HostId>
</Error>

Levik

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 23, 2012, 09:54:06 PM »

hallelujah

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 23, 2012, 11:18:33 PM »

The new tutorials are a lot better than the last ones, I think.

One thing I paid attention to in the skill description boxes: the expression of per level benefits and current benefits was at first unintuitive. What I mean by that is that you'd get something like "Bonus to X: Y%. (Z% per skill level.) Now, it became clear enough after reading through the text box carefully, but I did first interpret the current bonus for the per level bonus. Not that it lasted long, but I do think that dividing the per level bonus and the current bonus to different lines of text would make the whole thing clearer. Or at least place the per level bonus first and the current bonus in brackets, at least; a person reading about what the skill does will find the per level value more important, so that should come first, I think.

Edit: Also, is it just my imagination or has crew experience gain been boosted by a considerable margin? I got my flagship to an elite status in no time flat, something that I think used to take pretty long.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:21:08 AM by Thana »

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 24, 2012, 05:35:27 AM »

Oh this release will keep me very happy... Keep up the great work Alex!  It's going to be hard waiting for whatever you have planned on cooking up for next content based patch.

Edit: Ermm where did my CD-Key go...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:40:03 AM by Gaizokubanou »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 24, 2012, 05:57:04 AM »

It would be useful if we could see how much dmg skills add on weapons of our ship. Maybe in refit screen when hover with cursor over weapon and in little windows that appears with that weapon stats should be displayed bonus dmg and other stuff that skills add.

And, maybe, other bonuses to ship vent rate etc.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 24, 2012, 07:41:49 AM »

It would be useful if we could see how much dmg skills add on weapons of our ship. Maybe in refit screen when hover with cursor over weapon and in little windows that appears with that weapon stats should be displayed bonus dmg and other stuff that skills add.

Good idea
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 24, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »

Spoiler
Uh, am I the only one getting this problem? I can't seem to download 0.54a, been getting this error

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>DED58357A259CD22</RequestId>
<HostId>
VK1jSGZe5UXgrO629Z0UiYPnXsV2S+IcnOPwSNMhbmXCxLBcf31wjeQ6DAvCk6VC
</HostId>
</Error>
[close]

Hi - could you try it from a different browser?

Spoiler
Is there any particular reason Gunnery Implants is a Technology skill and not a Combat one? Given it only effects your ship it would seem to make more sense for the latter.

Similarly, Field Repairs seems more like a Leadership skill, even if it fits in thematically with Technology. Field Repairs is useful for maintaining your fleet, which seems to be the point of Leadership, rather than making your ships stronger, which seems to be the point of Technology. If it is an Industry skill temporarily placed under Technology one could still argue that it makes more sense for Leadership, as I imagine Industry will focus on making money rather than preventing losses, though if ship-building becomes a part of the game and is governed by Industry it would make sense that the same skill for building ships is also used for repairing them.

There also a couple of minor inconsistencies like the Missile Specialization giving hullmods and Ordnance Expertise's second perk affecting the entire fleet, both of which seem like Technology effects despite being part of Combat skills.

All that however are just very minor quibbles with what is otherwise an excellent update. Keep up the good work!
[close]

Hmm - I think you're assuming there shouldn't be any crossover between what the different categories of skills do, but this is in fact deliberate. The occasional fleetwide effect on a combat skill, or player-ship-only effect on a tech skill both add some more fine-grained choices. For example, you can decide to invest heavily into Technology, but you can also choose to spend some of that investment on improving combat - but it won't be as strong of a combat build as it would be if you put some points into the combat aptitude.

It also makes it more difficult to to pick up the skills to make you the "absolute best" in a given area (or, indeed, to figure out what that build is, given that you're unlikely to max more than 2 aptitudes, with 4 skills maxed within each).

As for Tech/Leadership/Industry skills, those are bound to get shuffled around after Industry is added.

One thing I paid attention to in the skill description boxes: the expression of per level benefits and current benefits was at first unintuitive. What I mean by that is that you'd get something like "Bonus to X: Y%. (Z% per skill level.) Now, it became clear enough after reading through the text box carefully, but I did first interpret the current bonus for the per level bonus. Not that it lasted long, but I do think that dividing the per level bonus and the current bonus to different lines of text would make the whole thing clearer. Or at least place the per level bonus first and the current bonus in brackets, at least; a person reading about what the skill does will find the per level value more important, so that should come first, I think.

Thanks for sharing that - I'll keep it in mind and see what other people's feedback is. I'm not sure there's room for multiple lines there...

Edit: Also, is it just my imagination or has crew experience gain been boosted by a considerable margin? I got my flagship to an elite status in no time flat, something that I think used to take pretty long.

Hmm, yeah. Somewhat unintended, actually - was tweaking player XP gain, but it's linked to the crew gain at the moment. Well, let's see how that plays out :)

I'll take another look at some point. Don't remember why I didn't do it - may have been some technical reason that made it tricky, or may have been UI layout related.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 24, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »

Hmm, yeah. Somewhat unintended, actually - was tweaking player XP gain, but it's linked to the crew gain at the moment. Well, let's see how that plays out :)

Well putting in my 2ยข, I like the XP change since I don't mind losing crew as much as I used to, since they aren't as rare a commodity. I don't see them as expendable, but if I lose a handful of veterans and elites, I'm much less likely to re-load.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 24, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »

Yeah, I like it; that was one of the biggest hassles previously; now we can actually build an Elite fleet and not just have to pick safe engagements all the time.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 24, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »

The always-available "Blast Doors" hullmod is intended to help with that, too (by reducing crew losses).
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 52