Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365072 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #510 on: November 21, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »

You should totally add hats... every game needs hats...
What are you talking about...?
Of course a spaceship can wear hats...
Silly people...

At first I thought you were joking, but now I realize what a brilliant Idea that is! Scrap all that other stuff in the update Alex, we want hats now!

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 21, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »

Alex should totally do that as an April Fools Day Update.
So who wants to guess what will be in the update past this?  My guess is the implimentation of additional systems and travel.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 21, 2012, 11:50:22 AM »

So who wants to guess what will be in the update past this?  My guess is the implimentation of additional systems and travel.

That'd be my guess.

However, that's been my guess for the last two major updates, so shows what I know, doesn't it?  ;D

In other words, I'll just wait and see what Alex think the time is ripe for.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 21, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »

Silly people...

At first I thought you were joking, but now I realize what a brilliant Idea that is! Scrap all that other stuff in the update Alex, we want hats now!

I believe Alex would prefer it if Valve DIDN'T have to break his legs.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 21, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »

Alex should totally do that as an April Fools Day Update.

The foundation for construction + 2nd star system.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 21, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »

Hey Alex can we get a sneak peek at the new ambient combat music?

Hypilein

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 22, 2012, 02:03:31 AM »

Hey Alex

Can you add a Display that shows how much supplies are needed when you want to repair in a station. It's very hard to guess how much you need if you don't have enough and it's kind of annoying to go to the station and buy small amounts of supplies until you hit the magic spot.

(Hope it's ok to post this here, but as it doesn't really warrant a lot of discussion an own thread in the Suggestions Forum seemed a little bit too much.)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 22, 2012, 02:11:51 AM »

Can you add a Display that shows how much supplies are needed when you want to repair in a station. It's very hard to guess how much you need if you don't have enough and it's kind of annoying to go to the station and buy small amounts of supplies until you hit the magic spot.

I made a suggestion about that some time ago and it was approved. So yeah, a solution will probably be implemented at some point. "when [Alex is] working on that area of the code for some other reason"
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 22, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »

Finally, a bit more extensiveness to the RPG aspect of the game.

I know Alex is a one-man army, but I must admit that I'm really feeling the press of time. Every day we go without a new version (and new features) is another day closer to when I ship to Navy Boot Camp in January... I wonder if I'll see .55 by the time I ship?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 22, 2012, 06:15:39 AM »

......I know Alex is a one-man army......

Wrong, I hate this :(, He is just part of a team of developers working away, people should really stop thinking Alex does ALL the work, Everybody deserves credit on that team, so THANKS GUYS 8D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 22, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »

NP, just one of those crazy ideas.  Wanted to make a ship that could deploy space stations that didn't have to follow Drone rules and some kewl FX stuff that's probably only doable via code and particle / projectile creation.

Latest update on that: you should be able to detect when stuff explodes. No callback for it, but you can query the state of the engine every frame and figure it out based on that (I.E., is the projectile still in play? If so, does its didDamage() method return true? If so, what did it do damage to?)

Re: hats - Everything is funnier with hats. It's like a universal constant.

Hey Alex can we get a sneak peek at the new ambient combat music?

No :)

I made a suggestion about that some time ago and it was approved. So yeah, a solution will probably be implemented at some point. "when [Alex is] working on that area of the code for some other reason"

Yeah... don't want to spend time reworking a UI that's probably going to get changed beyond recognition.

One of the greatest updates! Now we have access to AI ;D

Just ship system AI for now, mind you :)

Spoiler
Alex, what regarding making filter for weapons and weapon mounts?
For example adding to weapon.wpn something like "wpnFilters":"hir,idf"; which allow to use this weapon at any mount of same size and mount type that have filters like this:
{"angle": 0.0, "arc": 240.3, "id":"BGIGUN_TUR_M_01", "locations":[76.0,-0.0], "mount":"TURRET", "size":"LARGE", "type":"BALLISTIC", "wpnFilters":"hir"} or
{"angle": 0.0, "arc": 240.3, "id":"BGIGUN_TUR_M_01", "locations":[76.0,-0.0], "mount":"TURRET", "size":"LARGE", "type":"BALLISTIC", "wpnFilters":"idf"}
And vice verse, if mount have "wpnFilters":"hir,idf"; it can mount any weapon of same size and mount type that have "wpnFilters":"hir" or "wpnFilters":"idf"
[close]

This would require UI support to work well - especially in conveying these hidden rules to the player. Without that, it'd just be frustrating and appear broken. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it's not something I can justify spending time on, given that it's in the "adding features that only mods can use" category. When I have time to improve the game's modability, I'd rather spend it on exposing existing core features to mods.

I also didn't understood from updates, will some serious size projectiles have more health then some small bullets and missiles?

As far as I remember, nothing has changed about that.

WarStalkeR

• Captain
  • Per Aspera Ad Astra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 22, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »

Re: hats - Everything is funnier with hats. It's like a universal constant.
It still will take time before hats will be on same level of universal constants as 42 :P

Just ship system AI for now, mind you :)
Oh, it's already enough to cause total destruction with Systems I already implemented :)

When I have time to improve the game's modability, I'd rather spend it on exposing existing core features to mods.
Ready and waiting :)

"Happiness for everybody, freely, and let no one to leave unhappy!" (c) Strugatsky Brothers
Independent Defense Force is here! And they already in Sector Xplo.

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 23, 2012, 01:07:38 AM »

Silly people...

On the contrary! Valve and Alex are already working on an Onslaught hat for Team Fortress 2.

It's, uh, it's a little unwieldy. Takes up about half the map.

Leyammon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 23, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »

Silly people...

On the contrary! Valve and Alex are already working on an Onslaught hat for Team Fortress 2.

It's, uh, it's a little unwieldy. Takes up about half the map.

Pahahahahahahaha! I think that ship needs a monocle, I mean... If I was blown into space by a ship with a top hat and monocle I would be nothing but charmed... and dead... maybe a little dead...

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 23, 2012, 06:17:59 AM »

Latest update on that: you should be able to detect when stuff explodes. No callback for it, but you can query the state of the engine every frame and figure it out based on that (I.E., is the projectile still in play? If so, does its didDamage() method return true? If so, what did it do damage to?)
That's cool; can we just check didDamage() or is that going to return true for any projectile ID whose explosion lasts for more than one frame?  What about beams? 

Just wondering how we're going to populate our event table and compare it with the game's internal one; that sounds like it'd get pretty expensive if we have to do a for-each check for every single projectile vs. every table entry.  If an explosion lasts multiple frames, we'll have to exclude it from the table on future frames and do a fair amount of table maintenance, too. 

Sorry if any of that sounds stupid in Java terms, just trying to work out what we'll be looking at here in terms of finding out which projectiles haven't had a unique event yet.  Might be cheaper to simply have a function that gets called for any projectile if it has a name value other than null when it detonates and let the end-user define that code in the .proj, like how it's handled for .systems.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 52