Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 364998 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2012, 05:37:25 AM »

I'd rather see the rare update brimming with content, than a frequent barrage of small patches. Especially when there's no save game compatibility.

However, video updates on the development of the game could keep people hooked, without having to release a new version for every little change, tweak or fix.

Then again, I'd rather see Alex working on actual dev work than having to split his time between that and making videos.  :)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 10, 2012, 06:35:54 AM »

I'd altruistically volunteer to make videos of the def version ;D

Another thing: we are almost back at the release/update discussion again. Maybe a mod should open an extra thread for release cycle discussions to keep them out of here? It just doesn't seem to stop otherwise...
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 10, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »

2nd'd. I'm REALLY tired of reading the same three recycled posts about the time it takes for the Starfarer to be developed. If there was another thread for it, I wouldn't have to read it anymore.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 10, 2012, 08:44:53 AM »

Yeah, it's not exactly neat and tidy, but the idea is that there's something in that perk for both low and high ammo missiles. Standard Harpoon racks (let alone single-shot missile racks) hardly benefit from the increased rate of fire, but the +1 ammo is very cool for them. On the flip side, the rate of fire matters a great deal for Pilums, Annihilators, etc.

Ah, right. I knew I musta missed something.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 13, 2012, 09:04:12 AM »

Did you find time to look at greeble objects yet, Alex? Any insights?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 13, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »

It's on my list of things to look at :) Nothing concrete yet, either way.

xcom91

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 15, 2012, 09:02:35 AM »

Is there a possibility for a fourth faction or more?  :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:04:30 AM by xcom91 »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 15, 2012, 09:09:16 AM »

Is there a possibility for a fourth faction or more?  :)

Im very sure there will be several factions down the line. Such as the Cult of Lud.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »

More factions will likely come in once there are more systems, since IIRC Corvus is crowded already by "finished" standards. At least, I remember that being said at one point.

However, that's not really something we should be going deeper into with this topic. We've already been told off enough for going off-topic :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 15, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »

Updated patch notes.

I should add, the notes don't include a large amount of playtesting and skill tweaking - time consuming activities that don't lend themselves well to being bulletized :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:43:48 PM by Alex »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 15, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »

Sweet! Looks like some great changes!

New graphics for Gauss Cannon, Railgun, and Storm Needler

Pics or it diddnt happen!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 15, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »

Can add custom ship system AI (warning: it requires a decent understanding of Java)

See fastmissileracks.system for commented-out example:
        #"aiType":"CUSTOM",
        #"aiScript":"data.shipsystems.scripts.ai.FastMissileRacksAI",

Added ShipSystemAPI, FluxTrackerAPI,AssignmentTargetAPI, CombatAssignmentType, made enhancements to ShipAPI, WeaponAPI, ShieldAPI

I am incredibly excited for this. I have about a half dozen modification of the existing ship systems to try and tweak the AI for... We'll see whether my understanding of Java is decent or not (I suspect not :P).

[Edit] Read the old change log stuff again, and I'm still excited for the fighter improvements from 2 months ago... why do I have the feeling that when this patch comes out I will fall mysteriously ill for a few days? If this happens to come out over the US Thanksgiving weekend when I have nothing else to do except eat I might explode from happiness (It will come out Soontm and I like it that way, I'm just saying...)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:13:45 PM by Thaago »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 15, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »

Pics or it didnt happen!

(Click for full-size).

I am incredibly excited for this. I have about a half dozen modification of the existing ship systems to try and tweak the AI for... We'll see whether my understanding of Java is decent or not (I suspect not :P).

:)

This is probably going to take a few iterations to get completely right, as far as the API available to the AI. I did implement one of the simpler systems as an example, so it technically works, but I may have missed something obvious that's necessary for something more complex.

Also - you wouldn't be tweaking the AI for any of the systems, as much as writing new AI from scratch. The original AI is still in the core code - extracting it to scripts would be time-consuming (never mind adding to the game's loading time), even though, as far as I can tell, it's not doing anything (or much) the API wouldn't let it do.

Chancellor Meatsteak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 15, 2012, 01:22:59 PM »

What exactly is the rationale for bonus XP for losing ships in combat? Is it there to minimize the loss of XP you could have gotten if the ships were alive? If you can get more XP than normal by losing ships or battles it may lead to some odd scenarios; for example, a player might purchase a bunch of cheap, weak ships for the sole purpose of losing them in combat.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 15, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »

What exactly is the rationale for bonus XP for losing ships in combat? Is it there to minimize the loss of XP you could have gotten if the ships were alive? If you can get more XP than normal by losing ships or battles it may lead to some odd scenarios; for example, a player might purchase a bunch of cheap, weak ships for the sole purpose of losing them in combat.

To give you an incentive to play through a loss instead of reloading. Roleplaying wise, it represents "learning from defeat". I don't think the reward is high enough to justify the trouble of doing it on purpose, though, and it won't kick in at all if you keep respawning just to lose your starting ship.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52