Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365069 times)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #405 on: November 07, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »

Err... what about... uhh... getting mercilessly slaughtered without a proper fight? :P

I'm sure you could manage if you really put your mind to it :)

When will we get a better auto-resolve?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »

When will we get a better auto-resolve?

Poking at that is not a high priority just now.

Though it may not be related to this patch in particular, but how are ships/weapons/fighter availability gonna be like in release? like 1 ship for sale every 3 systems? possible ships as rewards for missions?

That's going to take some playtesting to nail down. I'd expect it to be *much* less than what it is now, though. The upgrade curve gets out of hand very quickly in Corvus - once you get up to a destroyer, capitals aren't so far off.

Comparatively, are additional captain skills going to be added when real trade mechanics are introduced?

Right, non-combat skills will get filled out along with non-combat gameplay.

And would every system get their own supply fleet? or is it possible for a player run supply fleet to help out a system? meep :D

Not really prepared to discuss the details right now. Sorry :)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 08, 2012, 06:22:01 AM »

Your game is dying, updates are WAAAAY too slow. I know people who work part time on mods for other games that put out content faster than this. I am not trying to discourage you from working because the game is quite enjoyable. But it is still lacking in content and functionality. I do hope that your update is very large and provides more content then you have listed because the game has potential. A few months ago you had 30+ posts per day in some of your threads(mods for example) despite the split i still think that 2 posts a day is an indication of significantly less traffic and interest in the game. I think its more important to release your updates every few weeks then it is to make giant releases months and months apart. Generate continuous interest. I hope you do decide to continue working seeing as how i have purchased the game. Good luck, put in the work!!!

Not sure where you got those numbers, I just wanted to say that last month the forum had 2675 posts and just these 8 first days of November we have had 645 new posts. So no, its not like 2 a day. Its more like 90.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 08, 2012, 07:54:41 AM »

And another thing, even if updates are slow, thanks to the big modding community who keeps making new content, it fills some of the void. I do agree they do take a long time

Kreyesh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 08, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »

Your game is dying, updates are WAAAAY too slow. I know people who work part time on mods for other games that put out content faster than this. I am not trying to discourage you from working because the game is quite enjoyable. But it is still lacking in content and functionality. I do hope that your update is very large and provides more content then you have listed because the game has potential. A few months ago you had 30+ posts per day in some of your threads(mods for example) despite the split i still think that 2 posts a day is an indication of significantly less traffic and interest in the game. I think its more important to release your updates every few weeks then it is to make giant releases months and months apart. Generate continuous interest. I hope you do decide to continue working seeing as how i have purchased the game. Good luck, put in the work!!!

Not sure where you got those numbers, I just wanted to say that last month the forum had 2675 posts and just these 8 first days of November we have had 645 new posts. So no, its not like 2 a day. Its more like 90.

If you reread my post you will note that not only did i NOT say the whole forum but i listed a specific place that i got my numbers from. So saying you dont know where I got the numbers from is mildly, well, i refrain from insult or escalation of conflict. In hindsight i should have referred to the Sub-forum Mods and not the "thread" mods, however my meaning should have been clear.

Alex, yes I do have a sort of, pessimistic, view on the developmental speed of the game. Part of it is impatience and the rest is a worry that you my lack the motivation to in a reasonable amount of time add everything to the game that it really deserves. Some developers use the statement "its just an alpha its not really out yet" as an excuse to collect money and lay back, taking their time to implement new things. In reality the game is OUT, I purchased it, therefore it is a product that you are saying is or will be soon(well, I cant put an exact time frame on this but soon is kinda flexible here)worth the money spent. Therefore i have every right to expect the game to be playable and enjoyable to the degree advertised on the site. If not immediately then certainly soon(again, well, you get the idea). I may have been overly harsh in saying straight out that the game is dying, however my pessimistic view of things points to a significant slow down over the last month+.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:58:06 PM by Kreyesh »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 08, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »

Well when you buy the game, you agree that you buy the game in its current state, and you have no entitlement to updates at all. So Alex could just seize developing right now, and you couldn't say anything about it.

Alex can pace the development the way he wants, and he does, nothing has ever rushed him into releasing anything, and I would rather having him work on each update for years, than rushing unfinished garbage that turns into some rushed game. We are just lucky to be along for the ride.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 08, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »

I really get rather bored with these discussions. It is Alex's game, not yours. None of us (apart from a few really active modders) have anything much to do with the development of the game, other than play testing (which nonetheless is a vital function of the forum).

Everything that Alex does is his choice, and the topic of his slow. Methodical pace has been raised a number of times, with the exact same result, albeit with new wording. It is quite frankly arrogant of anybody who is not Alex, or on the immediate development team to call their methods into question.

Developing an indie game is dangerous! Alex has invested a significant portion of his life into this game, and I think it is really quite rude to tell him, or even suggest that he do things with HIS game the he has said time and time again that he is not going to!

Yes, you've bought the game. And in doing so you have more, or less agreed to accept the pace of development, and that the game is in alpha! That is not an excuse, or even a reason for slow development, it is the way fractalsoftworks works!

I'm fairly confident in saying that Alex wants to build and deliver the best gaming experience he can, for you, and for us. And yet, people would question the methods of a man who has more or less devoted a part of his life to our entertainment.

How foolish.

I am now finished with this particular subject, I have had my rant, and I will say nothing more.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 08, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »

Technically, the "Mods" section is a place just for mods, literally.  All threads there have a download for that mod somewhere.  And every thread is a mod, whether or not it's still alive or dead.

And this game is indeed still in alpha, with a remarkable amount of progress. :) I can't wait to see the final product.

EDIT:
The only thing that's rushed Alex all these years was talking about hotfixes and bad karma. ;D
Quote from: Alex
… and that’s what I get for talking about hotfixes. New version is up – there was a bug having to do with built-in weapons – using “strip” from the refit screen or loading a variant would permanently remove them. This is now fixed, please re-download the new version if you got it already (links below updated, new build is RC5).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:41:40 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 08, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »

In reality the game is OUT, I purchased it, therefore it is a product that you are saying is or will be soon(well, I cant put an exact time frame on this but soon is kinda flexible here)worth the money spent. Therefore i have every right to expect the game to be playable and enjoyable to the degree advertised on the site. If not immediately then certainly soon(again, well, you get the idea). I may have been overly harsh in saying straight out that the game is dying, however my pessimistic view of things points to a significant slow down over the last month+.

If you look at the preorder page, specifically the bolded and underlined parts, you'll see that I'm not obligated to provide anything other than the current version. The reason that provision is there is to cover events outside my control - such as, say, being hit by a bus - but nonetheless, that's the reality of it. I'm truly sorry if you're unhappy with the pace of development - that's certainly your prerogative. On the other hand, it's my prerogative to do it the best way I know how, and honestly, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want that. There's no magic button I can push to make things go faster - I'm already working as much as I possibly can. Not because of any feeling of obligation, but because this is what I love doing. "Motivation" is so far from being an issue that it's not even on the map.

As a side note, I find the notion that I've got enough money from the alpha to "lay back" amusing. I've been very, very fortunate - thanks to your guys' support - to essentially get a full-time salary over the time I've been working on the game full-time. That's awesome - it takes some immediate financial pressure off - but worry about the future is pretty much a permanent fixture, nonetheless.

Now then - all this off-topicness must stop now. I mean it this time! I'd imagine most folks come here for relevant news about the upcoming update, not a rehash of stuff that's been hashed (and re-hashed) a few times elsewhere. Further off-topic posts will be deleted, and offending parties will be talked to in a stern voice, by yours truly.

To provide an on-topic nugget, by way of apology to the folks hoping to see something relevant: I've spent today playtesting a combat character build in the campaign. Many bugs were fixed, and much fun was had. As a teaser, here are some more details on one for the skills:

Spoiler
Missile Specialization
+5% missile speed and maneuverability per skill level

Autoloader Reprogramming (level 5)
+50% missile rate of fire
+1 missile weapon ammo

Increased Yield (level 10)
+50% missile damage
[close]

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 08, 2012, 03:49:06 PM »

Wa...what?  50% missile damage?  I know it's a massive investment, but a reaper torpedo...or a Harpoon, for god's sake, would absolutely CRUSH everything! ;D What tree is it part of (I can't think of that work right now, the Industry, Technology, Combat, etc.)?  I'm gonna dump every skill I have in there, outfit my Enforcer with 4 Harpoon Racks, Expanded Missile Racks, and terrify the enemy with 24-odd Harpoons. 8)

And finally, something to benefit the 1 OP missile launchers.  A Single Harpoon with the Level 5 will get another, right?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:52:19 PM by The Soldier »
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 08, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »

Wa...what?  50% missile damage?  I know it's a massive investment, but a reaper torpedo...or a Harpoon, for god's sake, would absolutely CRUSH everything! ;D What tree is it part of (I can't think of that work right now, the Industry, Technology, Combat, etc.)?  I'm gonna dump every skill I have in there, outfit my Enforcer with 4 Harpoon Racks, Expanded Missile Racks, and terrify the enemy with 24-odd Harpoons. 8)

And finally, something to benefit the 1 OP missile launchers.  A Single Harpoon with the Level 5 will get another, right?

Yeah, it does seem quite high at first, but look at the level of the skill there. I'm guessing to get up that high, you'd have to work your arse off, and then some. Plus with that kind of power increase, AoE missiles are something that are even more risky to use in a furball :P

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 08, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »

Question about the +1 Missile ammo: Is the +1 factored in before or after the expanded missile racks hullmod? I know you talked about multiplier bonuses, but I can't remember if you talked about addition/subtraction in combination with multipliers.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 08, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »

Yep.

Yeah, +50% is very significant. The number may change, of course, but the idea is that the perks are all things that matter, and enhance the effectiveness of some action the player takes, where possible. So the question, really, isn't whether 50% is "too good", but how it stacks up compared to the other level 10 Combat skill perks.

Question about the +1 Missile ammo: Is the +1 factored in before or after the expanded missile racks hullmod? I know you talked about multiplier bonuses, but I can't remember if you talked about addition/subtraction in combination with multipliers.

After. So, a single-shot Reaper gets 1 + 75% from the hullmod (still 1) + 1 more from the perk = 2 missiles. Considering an Enforcer can pack *eight* of those (and get them out 2x faster, thanks to the level 5 perk), that's still scary good.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 08, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »

Hmmm....8 Reapers in one second, without human click time.  Now that's devastation, and with the Level 10, that's 36,000 HE damage.  I'm sure an Onslaught or a Paragon will have fun player with an Enforcer. >:D

And as a side note, more fun with the Doom-Class and it's Reapers and Expanded Missile Racks. :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:35:53 PM by The Soldier »

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 08, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »

Alex, not sure if you have the time or stuff to do it, but i would love it if you posted videos on your channel, like a developer comments on your game, or some spoilors on the new stuff, like what was done before. Also I want to see how you play the game yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 52