Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365038 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #360 on: October 31, 2012, 12:52:23 AM »

id prefer status updates to a solid release date....something along the lines:
just started
adjusted some values
fixed some bugs
making final adjustments
etc.
But with bold step you could get: BUGS. So you are back on:
"fixed some bugs"
and then you could be back on:
"adjusted some values"
etc.
And that would produce: "WTF is going on?! Why he didn't finished yet?! He write FINAL ADJUSTMENTS!!! AGROAH!!!"
And nobody want that.  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 31, 2012, 03:05:16 AM »

I will say in point of fact that my interest in Dwarf Fortress was significantly high every time Tarn posted a daily update. Now that Tarn has reduced his devlog update frequency to approximately once every three days, my interest has waned.

However, a daily devlog is not for everyone. I did one of those for one of the games I was programming as a hobby and eventually it got to the point where I had to keep making excuses for why I didn't get any development done on a given day, and when I ran up against a particularly devastating bug or discovered I was going to have to gut a feature to line up with my new plans (because I forgot rule #1: NEVER CHANGE PROJECT SCOPE), I prattled on for days complaining about how difficult it was and how much I was losing interest. Plus, getting a full time job sort of killed any further interest in the project.

I deeply, truly envy Tarn's ability to hash out major program features and test them in times that put most of the industry to shame. Such is the benefit of not having to worry about anything but the actual game logic, I suppose...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:08:40 AM by JT »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 31, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »

Guys, let's keep this on-topic. A rehash of "when is the patch coming out", an explanation of "soon (tm)", suggestions re: updates, etc, are all potentially interesting but don't belong here. I'd like to keep this a place for discussion related very specifically to this patch - questions and comments about certain items on the patch notes, questions/comments about items related to those but not mentioned, etc. I.E, stuff to do with the game itself, rather than patch logistics. If you look at the last page, it's almost entirely off-topic.

Thank you.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:01 AM »

Well, this all seems pretty exciting.  I suppose I'll have to consider updating my mod when this comes out, lest it descend forgotten into the murky past of no longer compatible mods.  Have to admit, I was suspicious that my plasma flak modules (the PD-LPBC's) weren't working as they should. 

Overall, looks like a lot of good stuff.  I'm excited to try out the character building aspect (especially since I've actually tried Mount and Blade (exhausively) which several people have made approximations to (and yes please, more of that sort of thing, in space, would be excellent.)) Improved Fighter AI seems like a big boost in particular.  Going to have to get Starfarer reinstalled on this PC and perhaps playing less Gratuitous Space Battles. z: )
Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »

What happens if the enemy fleet has more ships than you and orders an assault on a point?  Will the friendly AI send all the ships it has to capture that point and have nothing capture other points?

e.g. the enemy sends 3 lashers to capture a single point.  You have only 3 lashers deployed, will the friendly AI send all those to one point if you have other points set to capture?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 01, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »

What happens if the enemy fleet has more ships than you and orders an assault on a point?  Will the friendly AI send all the ships it has to capture that point and have nothing capture other points?

e.g. the enemy sends 3 lashers to capture a single point.  You have only 3 lashers deployed, will the friendly AI send all those to one point if you have other points set to capture?

Capture orders have the same priority, I'm sure the other Lashers would first capture the other points and then come to aid their friend.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 02, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »

Yeah, it'll send one to each point.

Now, if you had 4 ships deployed, where the 4th one would go would depend on the order the assignments were created, and on whether any captures were being contested. More recently created assignments draw ships first, and the old priorities are completely gone.

The good thing, though, is that if you didn't like the initial assignments, you could adjust them without it costing any more points (until you exit the command UI or about 5 seconds of unpaused game-time pass, that is).

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 02, 2012, 09:33:13 AM »

Thanks, both of you. :)
Any progress so far?  After Sandy (still running off of a car battery here), still got no power, and I'm trying to find something to read to pass the time.  Read the same book about three times already. -_-
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Barracuda

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 03, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »

So... You reduced the base command points to 3.... What frigates go within that small ammount

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 03, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »

So... You reduced the base command points to 3.... What frigates go within that small ammount

Commands Points =/= Fleet Points. Command points are what you use to give orders to your fleet, Fleet Points determine what you're able to deploy at a given time.

Barracuda

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 03, 2012, 08:25:45 PM »

Commands Points =/= Fleet Points. Command points are what you use to give orders to your fleet, Fleet Points determine what you're able to deploy at a given time.

Sorry about that i got confused between the two.

rada660

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 03, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »

wished there was more game update with small content that happen more frequently, than big patch with much content ( that maybe be bugged... dont know ) once in 2 months =/

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 04, 2012, 01:00:14 AM »

wished there was more game update with small content that happen more frequently, than big patch with much content ( that maybe be bugged... dont know ) once in 2 months =/

There's a very simple reason the Fractal Softworks updates don't work that way: quality control. When they release a new version, its bug count is very low and there are rarely any significant mistakes in game design, and that's because they take their time to test things out fully before releasing a new version.

Personally, I like this approach, especially since new versions don't tend to be backwards compatible with saves. How annoying would it be to have to hesitate every time a new patch comes out whether to apply it or not, because it would break your saves yet might actually make the game worse?

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 04, 2012, 01:48:16 AM »

Totally agree on all points :)

Although I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the more 'involved' development process

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 04, 2012, 06:32:42 AM »

The Starfarer 12 Step Program:
Step 1: Patch Release
Step 2: Bug Fixing
Step 3: Alex hints at a new feature.
Step 4: "Blog update?"
Step 5: Patch Note Update