Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365005 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »

I've heavily come now to having very particular games where the music never gets old - either from it just being that good (Halo) or for having some kind of mystical achievement sense to it (Kingdom Hearts). I've also come to now having played Split the Atom as an album so much for so many sci fi games it's weird to listen to out of 'context'. That said, Split the Atom is a heavily Sci Fi based album, but still.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »

I generally stay away from albums when playing games from the risk of association.

Oh god, where have you been with that warning 10 years ago? I still friggin dream of playing Morrowind (you know, levitation spell) with Nightwishes walking in the air, and I don't even like band that much anymore.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »

Yeah Alisha's Attic and the original Command and Conquer are inextricably linked, as are the All Saints and (god forgive me) FFVII (back when I had to play it a friends house)
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 23, 2012, 02:14:44 PM »

Oh god, where have you been with that warning 10 years ago? I still friggin dream of playing Morrowind (you know, levitation spell) with Nightwishes walking in the air, and I don't even like band that much anymore.

Odd fact: listening to Nightwish right now. But yeah, I can't hear "Jamie's Got a Gun" w/o linking it with HoMM3 - and all I did was leave it on repeat a few times, oh, what is it, 10+ years ago now? The mind is a terrible thing.

A bit more on topic: hoping to update the notes in the near future :)

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 23, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »

What a tease.  ;D

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 23, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »

A good example of music done right would be FTL. The music is catchy, but doesn't get old quick. Having an ambient and battle variation for each song gives more variation and dynamics, and each sector and species has its own theme. I like the idea of thematic music, because you associate certain styles of music with certain events or enemies you encounter.

While I would love to see something similar done in Starfarer, I realize that the darker mood of the game works best with ambient music providing a backdrop. Sometimes I'll play the Amnesia soundtrack in the background, because it's ambient and unsettling and really accentuates the loneliness of space.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 23, 2012, 05:28:44 PM »

Updated.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 23, 2012, 05:45:42 PM »

:D
Yay!  Lemme read 'em!

EDIT:
THANK THE LORD!!!
That fighter UI bug on the command UI really bugged the hell outta me.  Thanks for fixing it! :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:48:22 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »

Control/Capture: Automatically updated to call in comparable forces to match what the enemy has in the area.

This is great! This and the AI improvements. I was just today writing in the manual how the AI is smart and the player should trust it and not give to many commands (after watching the old totalbiscuit video again). This really makes it easier to believe myself ;D

On second glance: Some kind of avoid order is noticeably absent?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:02:17 PM by Gothars »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2012, 06:31:21 PM »

On second glance: Some kind of avoid order is noticeably absent?

Hmm - let me give that a bit of thought. I'm not sure how useful that would be, since it seems like you only want certain ships to avoid certain other ships, and it gets to be a mess. I may give a global "avoid" order a try, though - or, perhaps, an "avoid it if you're smaller". What I don't want to end up with is multiple flavors of "avoid" orders. I also don't want to go down the road of multiple assignments on the same target, and some flavors of "avoid" may point in that direction.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 23, 2012, 06:33:46 PM »

"avoid if you're smaller" sounds best.  A lone fighter/bomber wing  or a frigate won't stand much chance against a cruiser or a capital ship.

And "Rally Task Force" command, can you get it to rally a control group to it?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2012, 06:55:40 PM »

"avoid if you're smaller" sounds best.  A lone fighter/bomber wing  or a frigate won't stand much chance against a cruiser or a capital ship.

Yeah... my concern there is it might be natural to want to combine that with an "engage" order, to get an "engage with only equal-sized or larger ships". And you won't be able to do it. Although, if you wanted that, you could actually create the avoid order, and then manually assign ships you want to engage the target to it, as counter-intuitive as that sounds :) Ships not assigned would still avoid the target. Hmm. Need to give it more thought/try it out.

And "Rally Task Force" command, can you get it to rally a control group to it?

Yeah, sure. "Rally Task Force" won't get any ships assigned to it by default, but only takes stuff assigned to it via right-click. "Rally Task Force" is also what gets created most of the time when you have multiple ships selected and right-click on empty space. (Exceptions are things like: you only have bombers selected, so it creates "Rally Strike Force", and a few others.)

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »

Odd fact: listening to Nightwish right now. But yeah, I can't hear "Jamie's Got a Gun" w/o linking it with HoMM3 - and all I did was leave it on repeat a few times, oh, what is it, 10+ years ago now? The mind is a terrible thing.

I listen to Nightwish sometimes when I play too! Alex and me have something in common! My life is complete!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »

Hmm - let me give that a bit of thought. I'm not sure how useful that would be, since it seems like you only want certain ships to avoid certain other ships, and it gets to be a mess. I may give a global "avoid" order a try, though - or, perhaps, an "avoid it if you're smaller". What I don't want to end up with is multiple flavors of "avoid" orders. I also don't want to go down the road of multiple assignments on the same target, and some flavors of "avoid" may point in that direction.

Two scenarios spring to mind in which I'd want an avoid order.

A) A big, slow target and multiple smaller target are on the field. I want my ships to avoid the big one and kill the small ones to gang up on the big at the end.

B) A enemy is fleeing and one of my ships is in pursuit. I put avoid on the enemy to make my ship stay in combat.

In both cases a global avoid command would be better than "avoid if smaller". In A) One of my ships might match the big target, engage it, and delay the destruction of the small stuff. In B) my pursuing ship is probably not smaller anyway.

Hmm...How about "avoid if you are not vastly superior"? That would have the intended outcome in case A) and B). And it would eschew strange issues where a battleships tries to avoid a destroyer.

I'm not sure how aware ships of are of their allies, but if they could notice when they are "vastly superior" as a group scenario A) might even play out without the need to revoke the avoid order at the end.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 23, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »

Very excited about the patch notes!

Couple of questions about what to expect, just Feature Request stuff I'm hoping to see:

1.  Will Greeble Objects make this round?
2.  What, if anything, can we expect in terms of Stations?  Will we be able to give them custom graphics or have any scripting we can hook into to build basic interactivity (rumors and the like for now, missions later)?  This is one of the areas I'm really looking forward to, since it's a big step forwards for the RPG side of the game, and I'm itching to be able to be able to enhance and extend whatever's in place.
3.  Are we going to be able to script the Missions used for the default campaign battles yet?
4.  What are your current thoughts, if any, for script events attached to weapon hits (basically allowing us to script really interesting weapons, given the changes in MutableValues I see in the changelog)?

Anyhow, sorry if all this is currently out of scope, I thought I'd ask and see if any of this stuff will make the current round.  I really like what I'm seeing here and I'm eagerly awaiting the next release :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 52