Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 364993 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »

It's the "always save on exit, no reloading" mode.

It's probably to relieve some of the overly heated debate we've seen surrounding such a thing, haha.

It's actually not in response to the debate(s) - was always a planned feature, and since I was working on character creation anyway, seemed like a good time to add it.

Also don't rush the man. I expect a few more weeks of tinkering/bug fixing and new features.

Oh, the irony of that being intended as not rushing me :)

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »

Well, it's both - don't underestimate the impact of being able to dissipate soft flux while phased.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think it'll be worth 17FP with the changes to phase cloaking, I was just hoping it would keep the 20FP cost and receive some other buffs- something like a built-in weapon along with some minor buffs to dissipation and/or OP. Make it live up to the name "Doom", sorta thing.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »

I'd actually love to see the sensor-stuff on phase ships that was previously suggested in the suggestion boards. But, i can understand alex not wanting this - and if that's the case, then i hope we can see some moddability of that system :)

Anyways, i like the way the skills are forming, and the way characters are created now does indeed make for a few interesting modding solutions, hmmm ;)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »

It's the "always save on exit, no reloading" mode.
Sweeeeeeeet.  :D

Also don't rush the man. I expect a few more months of tinkering/bug fixing and new features.

Oh, the irony of that being intended as not rushing me :)
There I fixed it. ;P
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

erynr73

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

"Augmented Engines no longer has flux dissipation penalty, engines take 2x longer to repair instead"

I'm a max flux dissipation max speed style pilot and this makes me giggle like a Japanese schoolgirl on speed.  Wants to play it noaws...

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »

I don't get why they need arbitary penalties to the modifications.  But whatever.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »

I don't get why they need arbitary penalties to the modifications.  But whatever.

One would assume to not make them no-brainers.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »

Yeah, choices aren't real choices if they aren't aren't interesting.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »

So a hullmod can have bigger a benefit without its OP cost being prohibitively expensive. Otherwise it would be a no-brainer rather than an interesting decision.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »

One would assume to not make them no-brainers.

Then why don't all hull mods have penalties.  The only reason I can think of is penalizing popular mods because they're popular.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

Yeah, we can lower the OP cost of all hullmods down to zero, and remove penalties. But where's the fun in that, when you know that you don't really have a choice to make other than spam-click on every hullmod

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »

Then why don't all hull mods have penalties.  The only reason I can think of is penalizing popular mods because they're popular.
Some of the choices are interesting enough just with op cost. Usually the weaker ones.
- Voltaire

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »

Some of the choices are interesting enough just with op cost. Usually the weaker ones.

So instead of making the less useful hullmods more useful you nerf the better ones so that they're just as mediocre as the rest of the mods? 

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »

So instead of making the less useful hullmods more useful you nerf the better ones so that they're just as balanced as the rest of the mods? 

Fixed it for you. Take a deep breath before posting ;)

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »

So instead of making the less useful hullmods more useful you nerf the better ones so that they're just as balanced as the rest of the mods? 

Fixed it for you. Take a deep breath before posting ;)

I'm perfectly calm, what gives you the idea otherwise.  I just saw this all happen before where whatever was good was nerfed until you were flummoxed by indecision because everything was terrible.  I recommend you watch this video at least:  http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/perfect-imbalance
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 52