Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365077 times)

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 04:29:53 PM »

I have to agree that plasma cannons are great weapons - a dual plasma Odyssey can destroy an Enforcer in one broadside. I think they are not overpowered though - I have to really specialize the Odyssey build to pull off dual plasma. :P
Oh MAN I'm having alot of fun with this load out!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »

I have to agree that plasma cannons are great weapons - a dual plasma Odyssey can destroy an Enforcer in one broadside. I think they are not overpowered though - I have to really specialize the Odyssey build to pull off dual plasma. :P
Oh MAN I'm having alot of fun with this load out!

Right? I like to laugh maniacally while unleashing waves of death.  ;D

OT:
MutableStat getZeroFluxMinimumFluxLevel()

I'm totally modding the nav buoy to give a boost to this!

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 05:20:56 PM »

Hah, I was going to post almost the exact same thing. Plasma Cannons are perfectly fine the way they are. You can choose to go with autopulses for efficiency or plasma cannons for dps+burst damage if you have the dissipation and OP to spare. From my experience, it seems balanced.

Some of my strongest designs for ships make use of plasma cannons, but the AI doesn't handle them terribly well so I only use them on one ship- the Odyssey (it basically has ONLY plasma cannons and some Burst PD).

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »

Why don't you say what the skills do :(

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 06:35:04 PM »

They're not set in contret yet.  Something could go "horribly wrong" ~ Alex, and it'd have to be taken out.  Anyways, more for suspense. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2012, 12:16:42 AM »

I'm not sure, but if you google for example "skilled with craftsmanship" you get lots of results. So I think it might be uncommon, but possible. But hell, whatever, I will get over it either way.
good / bad / excellent / brilliant / hopeless (16) AT (doing) something:
I'm not very good at repairing things.
full version:
http://www.english-4u.de/adj_prep.html

as these are usually some kind of action you would probably use AT  ;) sorry it was the only link i found but you should be able to find this in any good grammar book....sorry for the OT.....as an english teacher i sometimes cant help myself...

Plasma cannon is really interesting weapon but in the current version they dont seem all that great....after the patch that surely could change but im afraid they might end up being dead weight like the Tach Lance.....anyone here using Tach Lance?

xanderh

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2012, 02:20:01 AM »

Looks cool as usual. I'm looking forward to trying this out, I haven't been disappointed by a feature so far, and it doesn't look like I will in the near future :)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2012, 02:28:27 AM »

... But if Alex does a scale, I would put forth that the upper limit of that scale be 200% :D

I shudder at the thought. I've only just got over the shock of going to '100%' ...  :D

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2012, 03:24:17 AM »

Looks cool as usual. I'm looking forward to trying this out, I haven't been disappointed by a feature so far, and it doesn't look like I will in the near future :)

Alex has gotten into the rather bad dual habits of a) not disappointing his fans and b) making other devs look bad by comparison.  ;)

This is, of course, a very bad thing of him to do, raising our expectations of video game quality so.  ;D

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2012, 04:21:15 AM »

Plasma cannon is really interesting weapon but in the current version they dont seem all that great....after the patch that surely could change but im afraid they might end up being dead weight like the Tach Lance.....anyone here using Tach Lance?

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2012, 09:13:16 AM »

Apparently I missed all this talk about synergies. Where can I go and read up on the original concept?

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »

Both my Paragons have Tachyon Lances in the large turret slots. They can already take on any other capital ship, so throwing on the Tachyon Lances gives them some ability as fire support. Since it takes so long for a Paragon to get into battle, this lets them be useful sooner. They're also really good at taking out fighters (and Hounds) and can cripple a frigate or destroyer if it manages to catch one with its shields facing the wrong way. They also pretty much hard-counter phase ships, though the HIL has it beaten in that regard. Tachyon Lances are also really good at disabling all the weapons on enemy capital ships, which can drastically reduce incoming damage.

The Tachyon Lance may have high flux requirements and it's damage/flux ratio is, I believe, the worst in the game, but it provides such good utility to a fleet that it's still worthwhile. I'm thinking of stacking a fleet with Lances, since I haven't actually tried that strategy since the nerf. I think it could still be effective, but I need to do some Science on it to be sure.

There are designs for the Paragon without Tachyon Lances that are better at fighting other capital ships, but they drastically limit their usefulness against anything smaller than a cruiser- it takes forever for a Paragon to get into battle. Besides, a Paragon can already beat any other capital ship; giving it a Tachyon Lance doesn't make noticeably worse 1v1 and gives it some uses aside from winning a slugfest.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2012, 11:04:51 AM »

Why don't you say what the skills do :(

Why, to fuel rampant speculation, of course.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »

The BEST kind of speculation.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52