Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.54a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 365066 times)

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.54a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »

- A "75%" player ship damage option

What if it was a scale?  That would be much cleaner on UI with lot more options.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »

Well I am waiting with baited breath for this release good sir!
- Slightly decrease the flux consumption on the Plasma Cannon, otherwise it is really not even on par with the Autopulse
Do I need to make a thread explaining how energy weapons work, why they work, and why high flux/damage ratios isn't a damning trait?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »

Guess I came a little late to the party. :)
Patchnotes!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »

Well I am waiting with baited breath for this release good sir!
- Slightly decrease the flux consumption on the Plasma Cannon, otherwise it is really not even on par with the Autopulse
Do I need to make a thread explaining how energy weapons work, why they work, and why high flux/damage ratios isn't a damning trait?

Ghoti, I am also aware of the way energy weapons get increased damage from maintaining high flux levels. The problem with the Plasma Cannon is the the flux consumption per barrage is so high that even the Paragon can't link fire 2, let alone 4 Plasma cannons once it's reached a certain flux level. So there's no point in having 35% more energy damage when you can't shoot your guns :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »

FWIW, my feeling is that the Plasma Cannon is borderline too good, even considering the OP cost. The flux consumption is high, but it absolutely wrecks anything it hits. Doesn't even compare with the Autopulse - which is decent enough now, but not in the same league damage-wise. Having more OP to play around with due to skills is only going to make the PC better.

Edit: although, this is based on using it prior to the bug fix with the flux damage multiplier. I'll take another look and see how it feels.

Edit #2: An Apogee with one still mauls a pair of Enforcers, even with a terrible loadout otherwise and with me playing extremely badly. Doesn't feel that much different than before.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:56:00 PM by Alex »

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »

The amount of instant damage you can do with a sunder with high flux and high energy focus is just silly. Almost one shots an enforcers hull.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »

I must admit that I have a newfound love for the Plasma Cannon.

I put one on the Odyssey and with ITU hull mod and High Energy Focus I was just decimating everything. When flux was an issue I just turned sides and 2x Autopulse unloaded for more yummy damage.

Its very flux heavy but a SINGLE Plasma Cannon can solo entire ships all by itself - if you've got enough flux dissipation it can fire nonstop and you'll never build-up any flux and yet no enemy can keep their shields up for long under a maximum fire rate Plasma Cannon.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »

uh i dont think that would work because he would be skilled in/at helmsmanship for example

sadly it will probably be harder than that

I'm not sure, but if you google for example "skilled with craftsmanship" you get lots of results. So I think it might be uncommon, but possible. But hell, whatever, I will get over it either way.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »

FWIW, my feeling is that the Plasma Cannon is borderline too good, even considering the OP cost. The flux consumption is high, but it absolutely wrecks anything it hits. Doesn't even compare with the Autopulse - which is decent enough now, but not in the same league damage-wise. Having more OP to play around with due to skills is only going to make the PC better.

Edit: although, this is based on using it prior to the bug fix with the flux damage multiplier. I'll take another look and see how it feels.

Edit #2: An Apogee with one still mauls a pair of Enforcers, even with a terrible loadout otherwise and with me playing extremely badly. Doesn't feel that much different than before.

But I like my 'Iron Fist' Apogee.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »

If you're going to nerf the Plasma Cannon I hope you do so via OP so as to preserve its niche as the ultimate burst damage weapon (aside from torps and stuff that is).

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »

Alex stop being so attentive and receptive to your community and go back to your dimly-lit hacker den.  :D

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »

I have to agree that plasma cannons are great weapons - a dual plasma Odyssey can destroy an Enforcer in one broadside. I think they are not overpowered though - I have to really specialize the Odyssey build to pull off dual plasma. :P

On topic:

I'm very excited about the fighter AI updates - could be just the boost they need to bring them back up to par with post-system ships. Its cool to see how even minor updates to fighters drastically changes their power.

I like having perks at 5 and 10. It makes the choice of having a half filled or fully filled skill much more meaningful than just a linearly increasing percentage - mixed builds are more interesting.

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »

And this is why I think AI Apogee's need their base loadout to have a Plasma Cannon. Because as it stands now, an Apogee in the AI fleets is more of an annoyance than a threat (the MIRV can kill a frigate if you're not prepared, but other than that its fairly harmless). With a Plasma Cannon in its base loadout, its damn scary.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »

lol Thaago. Here's 5 eggs. How many chickens do you have?

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »

- A "75%" player ship damage option

What if it was a scale?  That would be much cleaner on UI with lot more options.

This is a fantastic idea! But if Alex does a scale, I would put forth that the upper limit of that scale be 200% :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52