Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: .ship/.variant editor  (Read 79904 times)

Redbull

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: .ship/.variant editor
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »

Dumb question: If I make a mod and add weapons to it, will it show in the weapons tab?

It won't, the lookup just displays the standard weapons. The weapons are still just files and not actually in the database which makes it iffy to add custom ones at the moment.

*ahem* i am having the same problem killvanya. i've made my first ship with .ship and .variant files in respective folders with different names (batbarge.ship and batbarge_Broadside.variant) tried adding it to a mission and the game crashes at the loading screen  >:(  also i've done all of this on a mac.

edit: fixed

I can't help you with adding the ships/variants to missions since I don't really know much about that part. I just provide a tool to make the actual creation of them easier.

In addition, I watched this video from your thread and just to be clear; the json parser does not care about whitespace (spaces, tabs, linebreaks) - unless you're planning on editing the json directly the step of prettifying it is not needed.

Hey Redball, I have a problem where when I try and select a weapon slot, it selects all of them. I've tried restarting my browser and also a different browser. Is there an issue with having more than 20 slots on a ship? Or having more than 3 launch bays? Just wondering?

Mago

Edit: Fixed just needed to name the weapons

Yeah it doesn't check to make sure the weapons have unique IDs, which is required. Should probably add that.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 12:55:29 PM »

Btw, has anyone checked this Editor to see if it still works with 0.5?  I am hoping so, but I forgot to test it last night due to having too much fun with 0.5, ha ha.   :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »

It still works with 0.5. The new weapons are not yet available in the weapons tab though, IIRC.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »

I am having a problem with this. I can upload a ship and an image, and the editor itself works fine. But, when I try to upload a variant (on that I saved, on the same computer, for the SAME ship), it tells me "DENIED - NO SHIP WITH THAT HULLID EXISTS". Also, if I try to upload the ship, it says "DENIED - INVALID IMAGE".

EDIT: The ship editor also does not seem to support universal weapon slots. This is not a big problem (as I can just edit the JSON directly) but it is kinda annoying.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:15:34 PM by catattack998 »
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »

You also need to add support for universal slots, OPs, and hullmods.

StickyNavels

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:10 AM »

Everything's working here - except boundaries (they don't seem to work?) and hardpoint and engine coordinates (X seems to be about 10 pixels off-left?). I wager those are easy to fix manually. Strange though!

That aside, it's a lovely editor. Very slick UI to boot! Keep up the good work!

EDIT:: I just realised that my problems probably stem from the editor not properly updating with the rotated coordinates (when you've set center).

I've had to determine the coordinates in an image editor and then enter them into the SSE. It's still very useful for setting up weapons and weapon groups.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:00:13 PM by StickyNavels »

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »

You also need to add support for universal slots, OPs, and hullmods.

Yeah, I can't wait till Redbull finishes adding in all this new functionality, I'm completely spoiled, and it hurts to use anything else to mod/screw around with ships now, ha ha.  :)  I love this editor a ton.   ;D  I can't wait to redo some ships with tons of Universal slots, awesomeness.  :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 04:26:28 AM »

Spectacular tool! Very user-friendly and pretty!  ;D ;D ;D

Is there any way to know how much manually fix is needed to make the boundaries work? (they seems a bit off in game)

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 05:03:17 AM »

Can't wait to see what this develops into!

Maybe a fully fledged ship maker? :) (from scratch I mean.. or rather from bits and pieces of old ships :P)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »

I use this tool myself, as it's more feature-complete than mine. Keep up the good work

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »

Feature request: Zoom

It's hard to work with smaller ships at 1:1.

Arrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »

Feature request: Zoom

It's hard to work with smaller ships at 1:1.

Agreed, this would make working on fighters and such so much easier.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »

Spectacular tool! Very user-friendly and pretty!  ;D ;D ;D

Is there any way to know how much manually fix is needed to make the boundaries work? (they seems a bit off in game)

There is nothing wrong with the boundaries, they are dead-on. To prove it, load a stock ship. You'll see that it's the same. A common problem I see a lot on here though is setting the collision radius too low. If your collision circle omits part of the ship's polygon, the collision detection code will miss that part of the ship, and you'll get visual intersection of collideable objects.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2012, 04:55:29 AM »

I can't seem to be able to upload ships, keeps giving me a big fat "DENIED - INVALID IMAGE!"

I've checked that it has the right path to the image of the ship but still the same error.. is it the wrong filetyp? .png?

Would make fine tuning ships easier if I could just load them directly from the site..

Also something seems to be odd when trying to move/add hardpoints or turrets..

When i hit set from clicked, it adds 14 decimals.... 14! As far as I'm concerned there don't need to be any decimals..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:31:44 AM by Plasmatic »
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Redbull

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 01:57:11 AM »

I can't seem to be able to upload ships, keeps giving me a big fat "DENIED - INVALID IMAGE!"

I've checked that it has the right path to the image of the ship but still the same error.. is it the wrong filetyp? .png?

Would make fine tuning ships easier if I could just load them directly from the site..

Also something seems to be odd when trying to move/add hardpoints or turrets..

When i hit set from clicked, it adds 14 decimals.... 14! As far as I'm concerned there don't need to be any decimals..

I fixed the invalid image error, it was just firing all the time for no particular reason.

I've been busy, and still am, with real-life stuff but I'll try to update the editor reasonably soon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10