Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: "Go here" command on the strategic map screen?  (Read 4024 times)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
"Go here" command on the strategic map screen?
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:13:21 AM »

Would it be possible to get a command on the strategic map screen where you'd click/right-click/something on a place in empty space and your fleet would automatically head that way. I'm asking because while right now one can get your fleet to automatically fly towards an object in space, when trying to intercept supply fleets and the like with not-too-fast fleets it often becomes a matter of trying to figure out an approximate interception vector to get between it and its target, then fly manually a bit, then check the map screen again, then fly manually some more, etc. It's a kind of an awkward process if done in empty space with no convenient "landmarks" (planets and the like) nearby, and it'd be somewhat easier if you could just designate a waypoint and tell the fleet to go there.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Re: "Go here" command on the strategic map screen?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:15:58 AM »

There already are waypoints in the game. Click on empty space and it brings up command options.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »

He's talking about the star system view.

I would rather have a live overview map, so that I can control long range flights in real time. But there were some technical issues with that, I remember.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »

I wouldn't consider the way the map works "final". It's got plenty of shortcomings, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to revamp it completely at some point.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »

I would rather have a live overview map, so that I can control long range flights in real time. But there were some technical issues with that, I remember.
I see.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »

I wouldn't consider the way the map works "final". It's got plenty of shortcomings, and I'm pretty sure I'll have to revamp it completely at some point.

Okay. It's hardly an urgent thing, but you did say you wanted people's input on small things they note, and this happened to become a moderately inconvenient missing feature for me a few days ago.

I see.

Gothars got it right. It's why I spoke about the strategic rather than the tactical map.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:11:33 AM »

I see.
Gothars got it right. It's why I spoke about the strategic rather than the tactical map.
I know, haha. :) It was a misunderstanding on my part.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:37:00 AM by GUNINANRUNIN »

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 02:51:49 PM »