Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New Shield system  (Read 2499 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
New Shield system
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:33:43 AM »

I originally wanted to put this in the U.I. improvement thread but figured it would make no sense, hence this topic

The idea is mighty simple actually

Once again the whole Wing Commander mod made me think about this, the way the shields on fighters works is kinda borked if anything, I can understand flux build up on a massive ship like Frigates and Destroyers and all thoses but a fighter doesn't have a freaking masive reactor like thoses ships so why would it work the same way  something thats ten times bigger ?

My suggestion on this would be to have a special shield type for fighters that makes them completely immune to effects of flux and flux build up and instead give them a Quadrant shielding system

It would work like a Overshield of somesort, starts out with a maximum charge level and loses this charge when taking damage, when too much damage is dealt to the shield it is brought offline for some time so it can build back a charge, see it as a secondary armor plating

However each ship has up to 4 of thoses shields one covering each vector

Front, Left, Right and Rear

Since it would be a different shielding type it would also have a different weakness wich would be energy weapons...

There I said it...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: New Shield system
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:05:41 AM »

I know that system from Freespace. It makes sense if you control a fighter yourself and can shift energy between shield-sectors and stuff. For those AI controlled fighters it would make things only needlessly complicated and not more fun. Not to mention the effort to teach the A.I. a new system. I see nothing wrong with the current system.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:43:56 AM »

I like to see this shield as a variant that would be more suited to ships using ballistic weapons

Of course my intent is to originally get this as a fighter exclusive but having such a shield on, lets say a Hound, would make sense for it would also allow the hound to straight up ignore the effects of flux wich means no "0 flux speed boost" no "Flux damage bonus" but on a side note it'd also get to use its weapons with no restraints since there would be no flux at all...

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:48:53 AM »

I think this has a way to low "Bang for buck" ratio. A completely new system would require new AI and would effect the entire game.

Dosnt seem worth it.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:19 AM »

A fighter is too small to have a quadrant shield system IMO. It would make more sense in a dog-fighting game (oh, X-Wing, how I miss you). Besides, this would affect something like 5% of the ships in the game.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:23:13 AM »

I'd just like to point out that with this we could make a MOOII mod that had the same shield system as the original... but at the moment it doesn't seem worth the time to implement new AI etc.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 11:09:45 AM »

I'd just like to point out that with this we could make a MOOII mod that had the same shield system as the original... but at the moment it doesn't seem worth the time to implement new AI etc.
T'would be an epic mod indeed.  ;D
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »

I'm not really going to be happy with any game until I'm secretly just playing MoO2. Shame I don't have time to start up a new game before bed.