Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: U.I. improvements and customisability  (Read 1426 times)

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
U.I. improvements and customisability
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:22:03 AM »

Now don't get the wrong idea the U.I. we have right now is good but there's a few things that I WOULD appreciate immensely

For starters: a inertia indicator

Now this wasn't really relevant up until things like phase skimmers appeared, phase skimming isn't exactly the most precise of things at the moment due to the fact we have nothing to really "aim" phase jumps, and since the phase skimming is, in short, a boost in the direction of where your inertia is taking your ship, the thing is the way the player sees inertia at the moment is haphazard at best of times and not exactly quite as efficient during combat compared to phase teleporting wich is shockingly precise in comparison...

Don't take me wrong, phase skimming is brilliant when it comes to chasing retreating ennemies but when locking horns with a ship its were the thing becomes much less useful considering you can possibly jump right into an asteroid or jump too far away of your ennemy, in both cases it can majorly screw you over...

second point:

Currently the U.I. has a bad habit of hiding ennemy ship's
"borderline ping"
(the little icon at the edge of the screen of an ennemy/ally ship)

Effetively making you wonder
"what the *** is firing missiles at me ?" an awful lot of times

Now some peoples may never had this problem but it does happen a few times in my case

That covers my remarks on the U.I.

Now for the U.I. customisation

This is more regarding the whole "Wing Commander" mod, wich made me wonder a LOT about things

In the wing commander series the player had two displays whom's purpose he could freely change

Lets say you want to have you Shield and hull to the Left and have your ship's heading instead of your ennemy scan you COULD have that...

My point being there are a few details some peoples would like to see at a glance over their hud and in a second know wich weapons had gone cold, wich are out of ammo and so on...

More aesthetic than vital but still pretty darn handy to know in a flash what's what...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: U.I. improvements and customisability
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:16:43 AM »

+1 on inertia indicator. Would be very useful for skimmers.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:21:52 AM »

I have no problems with the UI elements you mentioned. Of course  I would not mind a customizable UI, but I don't feel its necessary. Frankly, I don't think I would ever use a inertia indicator in the heat of battle when I could just look at my ship and see it move.

The only thing I do miss is an indicator for weapon status, to see if and for how long they are disabled.

Could look something like this, maybe with  the indicators flashing or red. If multiple weapons in a group are disabled, it should always show the shortest time.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 02:57:05 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:08:16 AM »

+1 for a toggleable inertia indicator.

As for MFDs (multifunction displays), I don't know. While there's lots of info that could be displayed in them, I don't think the shortcut they offer is of use in a simulation that can be paused at any time.