Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The state of starfarer let's plays and youtube videos  (Read 5130 times)

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
The state of starfarer let's plays and youtube videos
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »

You know as Starfarer stands as it is i'm not sure we need too many let's plays of it, now i'm not happy to see a youtuber leave the community*, Ever. But between Faiter and Axiege i think everything is currently covered.  now im not saying YouTube videos featuring Starfarer are bad, not at all im just saying that considering how little differing content in the game there is we don't need as many let's plays as other games that are more feature complete. as of right now Starfarer let's plays follow a simple path , kill stuff, get ships, kill stuff, get ships, refit all the things, kill more stuff. And while that is fun to watch its not as much fun as actually playing the game yourself. Especially since unless you like to use non-standard ships often fleets will end up in a similar fashion to other fleets.

Now that I've explained the problem as i see it, how might you fix said problem?
Well the first and most obvious choice is to use mods but having more ships or more enemies merely prolongs how long it takes for the gameplay to become stale.  now some mods ( mainly ascendency, fleet command, etc) expand on gameplay allowing the player to pick sides, or make their own fleet and such, and while this is also entertaining eventually that does come to an end as well, well everything does you can't fix that. but because combat is the ONLY thing in Starfarer at the moment it comes to an end far too quickly.
The next best solution is to wait for more features to be finished, Character progression, diplomacy, trading, multiple star systems, questing/missions. I personally feel that Starfarer needs more of these things to supplement an LP so it is not limited to just combat thus making this option the more, suitable choice for an LP.

Now i'm sure someone will think i'm mad telling people not to make Lp's of this great game, but that's not what i mean to say is that you can't make an lp of it, i'm merely asking anyone who isn't going to do something drastically different to WAIT for more features, hell character progression seems to be coming along EXCELLENTLY and while i know nothing of actual dates seems it might fall into our laps within 2012 ( we can hope) until then just enjoy playing the game or watch Faiter and Axiege's excellent videos on the subject, we don't need to flood out the game with more series like what people did to slender, or happy wheels.  And once those new features do drop that add more player choice or differing outcomes to the game feel free to start up another LP i myself plan to after i finish off some older projects first and we get more options in game.

As far as mod spotlights and Mod LP's go i have no qualms with them since they DO add quite a bit of content and every GOOD mod deserves at least a spotlight or such but they and the people who would LP them should still look at how many LP's there might already be of that mod and think, does it really need another one?

One last thing i should mention, this is not a GUIDE of any sort on HOW to do an LP those are different subjects i simply intend to point out the flaws of let's playing a mostly incomplete game too much.
*= http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4713.0
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:29:57 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: The state of starfarer let's plays and youtube videos
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »

Despite the somewhat inherent unmotivational topic, you make a good point. I think I have often commented in my series about how there isn't much to the game yet, and I did say in my topic that I want to wait for character progression and mods to catch up to it to start a new series after the current concludes for those same reasons.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:11 AM »

I mostly agree with this, not much need for too many LPs. Even though more LPs bring more attention to the game.

But hey, its their channel and they can do whatever the heck they want to.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »

I don't suppose you guys tried the first build of Vacuum?  It certainly has replay value, due to the way the universe gets built each game; the balance sucked but I'm still working on it and will almost certainly do a bunch of stuff with it when 0.54's out :)

Also a LP of God of Fighter might be cool.

Make LP's talking about the diversity of the mods and how it's about to get a whole lot more interesting; Starfarer's really on the cusp of being an engine that can support a lot of interesting gameplay, imo.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:09:01 AM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »

A lot of LPs aren't original. It's the nature of the beast. It mostly depends on the personality of the person/people commentating on the gameplay. The fact is that a lot of people don't do a lot to differentiate themselves from the pack, which leads to a lot of same-iness. It's good to have variety and for people to do things appreciably differently from other LPers, but that can be difficult and most people aren't capable of doing it.

However, that doesn't mean that having a lot of LPs is a bad thing. It's good advertising for the game, regardless. It's also important to keep in mind that just because an LP exists, you don't have to watch it.

VerifiedN

• Ensign
  • A random person on the internet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 03:31:35 PM »

The thing with LPs I find, is that you need to be able to like the person doing it. Their sense of humour, their skill (or lack thereof), how they go about things.

Although the game is incredibly important too. An LP is a showcase of that game from a (potentially) different viewpoint from your own, and it's critical that the LPer rolls with the game and really shows it off rather than replacing it's character and context with their own (see PewDiePie).

Still. With as many people as there are on youtube (and all the other similar video hosts) anyone can produce an LP and find a niche. It's down to individual taste in the end, and the more variety you have to satisfy that taste, the better. Although to be fair there most definitely are LPs and LPers out there that are terrible to the point that their niche is infinitesimal; they've got no excuse to be doing something they're simply not cut out to do.

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »

Spoiler
The thing with LPs I find, is that you need to be able to like the person doing it. Their sense of humour, their skill (or lack thereof), how they go about things.

Although the game is incredibly important too. An LP is a showcase of that game from a (potentially) different viewpoint from your own, and it's critical that the LPer rolls with the game and really shows it off rather than replacing it's character and context with their own (see PewDiePie).

Still. With as many people as there are on youtube (and all the other similar video hosts) anyone can produce an LP and find a niche. It's down to individual taste in the end, and the more variety you have to satisfy that taste, the better. Although to be fair there most definitely are LPs and LPers out there that are terrible to the point that their niche is infinitesimal; they've got no excuse to be doing something they're simply not cut out to do.
[close]

That was totally directed at me, wasn't it? :( (for the record I'm joking, of course :P ) Also, you are completely right. Even people that do get big like PewDiePie and Tobuscus can be really annoying and get old fast because they can be so 1 dimensional.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:28:11 PM by Axiege »

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »

@faiter119

true more lp's will bring more attention to the game but lots of low quality lp's may garner the wrong kind of attention if you catch my drift.
and yes it is up to the lp'er themselves to decide but hey i just wanted to get my point out there.

@xenoargh
yeah mods like vacuum will certainly change the face of the game and may certainly constitute some interesting lp's but under the skin of a new system its the same game and like all the other mods if it doesn't add really new features the pattern will eventually reassert itself onto the game

God of fighter certainly adds another layer to the game and it could make for an interesting LP
and yes certainly there is room for more mod videos showing off the features of the starfarer engine and what it's modding community is capable of.

When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.