Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 281

Author Topic: Project Ironclads TC (28 of April, 2017) Source files for the mod  (Read 1638642 times)

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Project Ironclads, version 2.8 (0.53.1a with campaign)
« Reply #660 on: September 04, 2012, 08:06:49 AM »

The new sprites look great. Will you add ship descriptions in the new version? Feels rather empty without them when you're looking over the ships.

I second ship descriptions!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: September 04, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »

I offered to help, but he said he'll do them later on in development.

Whether or not they come, more lore never hurts. ;)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 04, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »

Warning, Wall of text and some poor grammar (possibly) incoming...

While i love how the XLE ships look, they somehow give me the felling of a special private army due to their extremely snake like look and coloring, its nice that your focusing on a reptile like ships while representing those countries but there's 2 big flaws on them, being military ships they tend to "blend" into w/e they are meant to be, military tanks are usually yellow if their main battlefield is a desert while most is a forest like cammo, right now those ships are incredibly light green like a traffic light post, its like they painted to look cool instead of symbolizing their task, the Russians are a perfect example, they feel like military ships due to their dark color and the red is not as imposing.
The second problem but might be just me, is that, there are 2 type of Asian countries that would never blend the same way much like the Russians and EU or US, Japan and South Korea, both of them would have the most advance looking ships in any game with only Germany as a possible comparison, while Asia countries like China, North Korea, Mongolia, Taiwan, etc... have a very strong military connection with Russia's, Their ships should be more standard base while having that "Dragon" lookalike your trying to achieve.

Also i know you have been making sure every ship as a specialty, how about making the XLE ships a version of the Russians but be more maneuverable and less expensive (smaller hulls), possessing a the massive burst and high speed but having very weak hull, the so called hit and run or zerg in since the ships are cheap and well... China has the biggest army and economy in the world... not like losing ships and crew matter much..

About their looks, dark green with a brownish color would be great, also ur trying the make them look different so:
Spoiler
[close]

If you notice, the U like front resembles of a claw, the long back takes from reptiles like tail, by adding those scale like your using on the ships you made and a few outer scales with a razer look.

Take this as an opinion, i personally wished i could have the patience and perseverance to create ships dot by dot...

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #663 on: September 04, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »

What kind of descriptions you `d like to see for ships? I`m surely not the best writer out there and i wont write as much text as Alex did (the count of ships currently in game makes it difficult to write stories about each). But i feel that simple "created in.. best used.. role.. etc." might not be enough.

XLE. Well, Japan can become a part of ISA or be conquered by XLE pre-warp. Or just see that becoming a part of XLE is their only way to become starfaring faction while not being consumed by others.

XLE looks should be different from those that RFS have. Look at moder CPR military - there is nothing Russian there. Most of the modern vehicles and weapons are unique. Its really difficult to trace anything AKMish in QBZ weapons.

All these talks around color schemes is a bit tricky. In space you most of the time will see a ship at long ranges either by its IR or electronic emmitions and other such things. I really doubt that visual contact is all that necesarry (BTW, during skirmishes most of the time ships should shield their bridges with blastpanels to avoid losing it). In any way you`ll spot a ship at long range by its bright exaust rather than decals, painting etc.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 04, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »

What kind of descriptions you `d like to see for ships? I`m surely not the best writer out there and i wont write as much text as Alex did (the count of ships currently in game makes it difficult to write stories about each). But i feel that simple "created in.. best used.. role.. etc." might not be enough.

Quite the contrary, that would definately be enough for the moment. There's no need to fill a few pages of several paragraphs of lore, but a few sentences about the ship and its purpose and design would be good. Something to give the player a sort of idea of what the ship is for.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »

All these talks around color schemes is a bit tricky. In space you most of the time will see a ship at long ranges either by its IR or electronic emmitions and other such things. I really doubt that visual contact is all that necesarry (BTW, during skirmishes most of the time ships should shield their bridges with blastpanels to avoid losing it). In any way you`ll spot a ship at long range by its bright exaust rather than decals, painting etc.
Well as long as you got the Photoshop/Paint Layer files, making more ships of the same type with different decals would be easy and gives out more choices to the player as well as, different fleet types in the same faction just how you did those awesome civilian ships with those different systemtypes.

XLE. Well, Japan can become a part of ISA or be conquered by XLE pre-warp. Or just see that becoming a part of XLE is their only way to become starfaring faction while not being consumed by others.
Being XLE and RFS allies, they shouldn't have a problem becoming a space farer faction, since it would be of the best interest by both parties to expand, one for proving funds (XLE) in turn of tech (RFS)
I can see Japan and South Korea joining up the ISA to protect themselves from the XLE and RFS, or simply making a smaller factions like the "Japan and Korean Protectorate" JKP allied to the ISA and UEN with a few Frigates, Destroyers and a Cruiser type

XLE looks should be different from those that RFS have. Look at moder CPR military - there is nothing Russian there. Most of the modern vehicles and weapons are unique. Its really difficult to trace anything AKMish in QBZ weapons.
I never Said XLE should look like RFS in terms of how their ships hulls but instead on how the weapons and shield are placed, sorry for not being more specific

Hope its more clear on what i meant  :-\
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:02:26 AM by silentstormpt »

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #666 on: September 04, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »

XLE and RSF use flares (XLE active ones), both have frontal shields. Both like lasers and ballistics, though XLE use more rapid fire weapons instead of heavy punching as RSF. Their lasers are mostly continous unlike burst beam lasers RSF use. They also rely on armor more than on shields. They just look absolutely different and unique.

The same with ISA and UIN. Both have strong shields and advanced energy weapons. Though UIN are also good with ballistics (but thats mainly influenced by European history).

I think that XLE swallowed all those who refused to joing them peacefully. And given their power and size - there are few who actually refused to join :)

A little lore-wise info. Ironclads are going to use a bit different timeline. The current era is called FTL. So currently its 208+ FTL. The countdown starts from the development of the first FTL drive. There will be some events that predate this. Those will be reffered to as happening pre-FTL or simply STL. For example - moon base was constructed around 250 years STL.

The real date of those events will remain a mystery, but its something like 500+ years from curret Earth date. I`m working on timeline sicne 250 STL to 200 FTL. I need to acomplish this first before i`ll start putting info on ships.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #667 on: September 04, 2012, 10:25:27 AM »

Oh. Forgot one thing :)

That`s a miner. A DE sized ship with two frontal weapons - a drill (oh yeah!) and a cutter laser. Other toys are going to be carried mining drones and remote mining drones. Mining drones all will have lasers. Those that act like fighters will carry charges and drop them like current bombers in the original game.

I`m thinking to add two more variants with only two drills and only two cutters.

Now, can someone point me to a free video capturing prog? I`ll get you a nasty video of this baby in action :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 04, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »

I WANT TO MINE MY ENEMIES!

And it sounds excellent!  Similar to he Apogee, no?  Tech miner?
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #669 on: September 04, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »

Scrapper is a standard issue space asteroid miner supplemented with several automated mining drones to cut small pieces of asteroids and drag them into cargo bay. Miner can carry remote controlled charge deployers for cracking medium sized asteroids.

Cutter beam and drill are used to deal with large asteroids with drill being used to dig inside the asteroid and hold it in place while cutter does the rest of the work.

This model was designed in late 64 FTL as a part of RSF 'Remote Mining Program'. During the following years it was modernized several times. The latest upgrade featured spaced blastshields on the cocpit to protect the bridge from debris being produced by drilling.

Scrapper is a reliable and sturdy vessel that is seen all around the known space.

Hm... Is this the description you`d like to see for the ships?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 04, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »

That's excellent!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 04, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »

I am loving this. Definitely loving this. When i am not playing BF or modding Caelus, i am playing this, all the way. No vanilla at all. :D

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 04, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

when are gonna release update/uddare main page

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 04, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »

Great description for the miner! A bit of perspective like that does wonders for immersion.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #674 on: September 04, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »

The update is ready. All i need is to add descriptions. But this will take a long taking into account the amount of ship hulls and variants in the mod.

So its up to you, guys. If you wish an update - it will be ready today eve. If you wish descriptions - those are gonna delay the update ;)
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 281