Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 281

Author Topic: Project Ironclads TC (28 of April, 2017) Source files for the mod  (Read 1644524 times)

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Project Ironclads TC 8.6 (3/2/2015) [0.65.1a] 0.65.2 compatible
« Reply #3750 on: March 05, 2015, 09:27:17 AM »

Do pods/batteries have infinite ammo as well?
For example, does a Barracuda LRM launcher have ~4 missiles, and after you fire them off, it reloads 2 at a time? Or does it reload all 4?

Will we get hullmods that reduce the reload time on ships, or are expanded magazines/missile racks considered enough? (it probably is, but NEEDS MORE DAKKA!)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: March 05, 2015, 09:48:05 AM »

Progress update.

Nothing really to report except for ship ordering system introduction for RSF, ISA, UIN and XLE factions. You have money? You are in good terms with a faction? You need ships and don`t want to bother gathering guns for it in the whole sector? Then just go to that faction`s ship yard and browse a list of options. All are 1.5 times more expensive than basic hulls, but all come with guns (and most important - hull mods) already installed.

While testing this feature I found that combats are now completely different whenever ballistics are in play. The new ammo rehaul makes battles difficult. And this is from both perspectives - running out of ammo fast and not running out of ammo entirely. Makes picking guns a whole new experience now.

That sounds cheap, considering they come fully equipped.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: March 05, 2015, 09:55:11 AM »

Progress update.

Nothing really to report except for ship ordering system introduction for RSF, ISA, UIN and XLE factions. You have money? You are in good terms with a faction? You need ships and don`t want to bother gathering guns for it in the whole sector? Then just go to that faction`s ship yard and browse a list of options. All are 1.5 times more expensive than basic hulls, but all come with guns (and most important - hull mods) already installed.

While testing this feature I found that combats are now completely different whenever ballistics are in play. The new ammo rehaul makes battles difficult. And this is from both perspectives - running out of ammo fast and not running out of ammo entirely. Makes picking guns a whole new experience now.

Weapons in this game generally max out at ~5000 for a large weapon. Considering a destroyer hull runs at about 50000, 25000 for weapons is still more expensive. That said, I'd be pretty happy with this system, since it means less flying to all sorts of planets to look for hulls/fighter wings.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: March 05, 2015, 10:16:46 AM »

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/Random.html
nextInt(int n)
Returns a pseudorandom, uniformly distributed int value between 0 (inclusive) and the specified value (exclusive), drawn from this random number generator's sequence.
Plus, according to your code, you would be getting some arrayIndexOutOfBoundsException from Fleetspawner as you randomize some things around an array's size, such as the line:
Code
String target_name = array_targets[rnd.nextInt(array_targets.length)];

If it did randomize from 1 to n, you would have an out of bounds exception when it randomed n, since array_targets[array_targets.length] will always be out of bounds (or have a null pointer exception)

Thanks. Will apply necessary fixes now.
Was looking back over FleetSpawner, namely the code
Code
    private static Script createIllGottenScript(final CampaignFleetAPI fleet)
    {
        return new Script()
        {
            public void run()
            {
                float cargo_left = fleet.getCargo().getSpaceLeft();

fleet.getCargo().addCommodity(Commodities.SUPPLIES, cargo_left/2);

if (fleet.getName().toUpperCase().contains("MARAUDERS"))
                {
                    fleet.getCargo().addCommodity(Commodities.METALS, cargo_left/2);
                    fleet.getCargo().addCommodity(Commodities.RARE_METALS, cargo_left/4);
                    fleet.getCargo().addCommodity("parts1", cargo_left);
                }

else
                {
                    fleet.getCargo().addCommodity(Commodities.LUXURY_GOODS, cargo_left/3);
                    fleet.getCargo().addCommodity(Commodities.DRUGS, cargo_left/2);
                    fleet.getCargo().addCommodity(Commodities.HAND_WEAPONS, cargo_left);
                }

log.info("Added some loot to"+fleet.getName());
            }
        };
    }

Is the fleet tagged as "MARAUDER", or just "MAR"? Right now marauders tend to get a ton of luxuries, hand weapons, and drugs after scavenging, which is probably unintended.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #3754 on: March 05, 2015, 12:39:29 PM »

Progress update.

Yeah, my mistake.

Basic hulls means basic variants. So that`s 1.5 more expensive than a standard variant INCLUDING all it`s weapons.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: March 06, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »

BTW, regarding missile ammo overhaul that I`ve mentioned. I think that these requires a few words to be said to clarify things.

Missiles/rockets/torpedoes are now divided into launching system types:

- single missiles/rockets/torpedoes and launchers have finite ammo without clips. Fire projectiles one by one and never replenish ammo.  
- pods and batteries use ammo clips. These fire projectiles in salvoes. Usually 1-4 quick salvoes before the need to reload the clips.
- systems. These have infinite ammo, fire in salvoes and have long reload times. Currently these are alien missiles and RSF rocket systems.

Sounds great - I tried a similar system for vanilla and it worked really well.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #3756 on: March 07, 2015, 02:37:04 AM »

Releasing a new Ironclads 9 version (7/3/2015): http://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/Sector/ironclads9.zip

Changelog: http://www.lordsofthestars.com/other/Sector/readme.txt

This update introduces ship ordering system with which you can supply yourself with standard variants of most military -grade ships the major factions have to offer (RSF/ISA/UIN/XLE). YOu need to be at least favorable by that faction to get access to ship ordeing system.

To order a ship you need to visit any shipyard of the given faction. There will be an option that opens up fighter, frigate, destroyed and cruiser options. Note that currently you have a very limited amount of ships to pick (4 wings, 3 frigates, just 2 destroyers and only 1 cruiser with no capitals at all), but i`ll be expanding these options later.

There is also a major missile rehaul took place resulting in significant shift in missile balance. You now need to think of some pretty good PD coverage if you are about to engage fleets with dedicated missile ships.

---

Enjoy, report, give feedback - all as usual :)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Project Ironclads TC 9 (8/3/2015) [0.65.2a] - ship requisition system
« Reply #3757 on: March 07, 2015, 11:05:29 AM »

I don't know what is causing it, but when I try to load a game with this mod the game goes nuts.
Log:
Spoiler
Code
171208 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog$1.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog$1.compare(Unknown Source)
at java.util.Arrays.mergeSort(Unknown Source)
at java.util.Arrays.legacyMergeSort(Unknown Source)
at java.util.Arrays.sort(Unknown Source)
at java.util.Collections.sort(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.?0?000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.title.D.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.thisnew.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.H.processInput(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.new.?0(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.oOOO.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.?00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]
I don't know either if it's caused by sole presence of mod or by something that Ironclads does, since I get an error too when I try to go to saves' screen with Valkyrie+LazyLib+Shaderlib.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #3758 on: March 07, 2015, 01:05:20 PM »

I'm getting a CTD whenever I try to load a game (not using the Continue button, using the Load Game button on the menu). I click it and the game crashes.

Below is the last bit of the log file, (I think this is everything for loading the load game menu)

Spoiler
17893 [Thread-5] DEBUG com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Loading [graphics/backgrounds/background4.jpg] as texture with id [graphics/backgrounds/background4.jpg]
19673 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_ISA_2860150983201958622\descriptor.xml]
19693 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_ISA_4280613728685656513\descriptor.xml]
19697 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_Marauder_3796784851702082626\descriptor.xml]
19701 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_Marauder_9052977166574747763\descriptor.xml]
19705 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_Pirate_5941511467710026007\descriptor.xml]
19708 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_Pushover_2068349950204205850\descriptor.xml]
19710 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_Pushover_3255637077103969081\descriptor.xml]
19715 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_Pushover_3297244045037606027\descriptor.xml]
19719 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_Pushover_6577186991409177843\descriptor.xml]
19721 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_UIN_1174907327118915071\descriptor.xml]
19724 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_UIN_3581518363292742120\descriptor.xml]
19728 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_UIN_3774010816566530225\descriptor.xml]
19732 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_UIN_5080432996449776673\descriptor.xml]
19736 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_UIN_6210720955057940361\descriptor.xml]
19739 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_UIN_7435524200204287658\descriptor.xml]
19743 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_XLE_6294411504117355374\descriptor.xml]
19747 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_XLE_6389780564723588735\descriptor.xml]
19750 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Reading save data from [..\saves\save_XLE_6843993122467714097\descriptor.xml]
20264 [Thread-11] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [music-miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
20264 [Thread-11] INFO  sound.OooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  - Playing music with id [music-miscallenous_main_menu.ogg]
20316 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.D  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog$1.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog$1.compare(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.Arrays.legacyMergeSort(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.Arrays.sort(Unknown Source)
   at java.util.Collections.sort(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.LoadGameDialog.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.??00(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.D.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.thisnew.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.H.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.new.?o000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.?0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

I had this problem, but not from the mod.  I think it was due to me having a ton of saves, some from older versions of the game.  I just deleted all of the save folders other than the ones I wanted from my computer, and it fixed it.

Try deleting the very old games first leaving your most recent Ironclads save intact.

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: March 07, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »

Economy:
The economy feels much better. Things actually have differences in prices for a lot of goods, and trading is more than just abusing trade disruptions. (and/or abusing the save context bug). However, it still seems like high stability ports are a 'sell anything here' position. Medicaments should probably get sold to lower stability worlds, since they probably lack the medical supplies they would need, but instead they are best sold to high stability planets. Food is sold roughly for the same price everywhere, whether it's a high or low stability world. Metals are worth a lot more now, which makes combat pay a little better.

Missile Changes:
The 122mm Rocket System seems super strong now. I already thought it was strong before these changes, and now it's even stronger. While it's 6 OP, its 2400 HE damage on a 12 second cooldown is amazing for a small slot. 12000 DPM if you can hit everything. The 300mm Rocket System by comparison is 3200 HE damage, 16000 DPM at 10 OP and a Large Missile slot. The 220mm Rocket System is almost the same as the 300mm Rocket System, it has the same damage per volley and same reload. The only difference seems to be that the 220mm Rocket System fires twice as many rockets at half the damage. Is there a good reason to use a Large Missile slot for a 300mm Rocket System?

On a Small Missile slot, it seems that the Micro-missile Pod is better than every other small missile system (excepting the 122mm rockets). It's only 2 OP, has 800 HE damage worth of rockets, and reloads over time. The Strela-6 by comparison, has just 4 missiles, each of which do 100 damage, the same as a Micro-missile. I don't know about the tracking on each of them, but the Micro-missile Pod beats the Strela-6 in capacity and still has the ability to reload.

I've been flying a Germany class Battlecarrier with 4x122mm Rockets on the front and 8xMicro-missile Pods, as well as 1xBarracuda-PRX, 4xParticle Beams, 4x50mm Autocannons, 4x42mm Flak Cannons, and 2x60lb Dual Siege Cannons. The Particle Beams to eat away at a ship's shields, combined with the 122mm Rockets/Dual Siege Cannons can make short work of just about everything. The only reasonable counter I can see is heavy Blastguns/Bofors/Flak, since anything less than very heavy dedicated area of effect point defense will just get overloaded.

Requisition System:
Danbridge should probably have the requisition system, as it's the ISA capital, and usually has the greatest selection of ships.

I really like the system, since it allows me to pick up most fighters.

Escape bug:
If you mean that the escape key no longer closes the planet's dialogue, that's been an issue since before this update. I think it may be part of the Starsector hotfix, since it stopped working when I updated my Starsector to RC2. Otherwise, none of the other menus have a problem with the escape key.

On another note, fighter balance:
Can something be done about normalizing the fighter deployment (supply) cost? Most ISA fighters are very cheap to deploy, specifically the A110 and F171 wings are under 3 supplies per deployment and quite effective. Most fighter wings cost between 9 and 20 supplies to deploy. UIN fighters take at least 9 supplies to deploy, although they are fairly powerful.
The FFS fighters have massive deployment costs unlike all the other FFS ships. Regulator Wings are 7.2, and Keepers are 20! A Justice destroyer has a 2.4 supply cost per deployment, by comparison. Even a Themis Carrier is only 4.5 supplies per deployment.
Claw Wings (Black Widow fighters) are the only fighters to leave a dead fighter on the field when destroyed. All other fighters just explode into nothing.
The best fighters in the game, in my opinion, are the HE rocket fighters (A110, AC300, Harpoon, SU-252) since they all have the potential to cripple a significantly larger ship. The other fighters tend to have a large problem with AFM missiles or beam weapons, and don't get to do a lot of damage given their relatively short range, unless there is an overwhelming number of them.

Other:
Marauders still salvage hand weapons, luxury goods, and recreational drugs.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:28:47 PM by Pushover »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: March 07, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »

30mm Linked Assault Gun says "DPS (sustained) 50 (75)". I don't think that is quite how it works.

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: March 08, 2015, 08:34:56 AM »

Whan ever i buy a novgorod cruiser in the requisition thing it just gives me a kursk mod.2 destroyer

i feel like that's not supposed to happen

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: March 08, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »

Missile Changes:
The 122mm Rocket System seems super strong now. I already thought it was strong before these changes, and now it's even stronger. While it's 6 OP, its 2400 HE damage on a 12 second cooldown is amazing for a small slot. 12000 DPM if you can hit everything. The 300mm Rocket System by comparison is 3200 HE damage, 16000 DPM at 10 OP and a Large Missile slot. The 220mm Rocket System is almost the same as the 300mm Rocket System, it has the same damage per volley and same reload. The only difference seems to be that the 220mm Rocket System fires twice as many rockets at half the damage. Is there a good reason to use a Large Missile slot for a 300mm Rocket System?

On a Small Missile slot, it seems that the Micro-missile Pod is better than every other small missile system (excepting the 122mm rockets). It's only 2 OP, has 800 HE damage worth of rockets, and reloads over time. The Strela-6 by comparison, has just 4 missiles, each of which do 100 damage, the same as a Micro-missile. I don't know about the tracking on each of them, but the Micro-missile Pod beats the Strela-6 in capacity and still has the ability to reload.

I've been flying a Germany class Battlecarrier with 4x122mm Rockets on the front and 8xMicro-missile Pods, as well as 1xBarracuda-PRX, 4xParticle Beams, 4x50mm Autocannons, 4x42mm Flak Cannons, and 2x60lb Dual Siege Cannons. The Particle Beams to eat away at a ship's shields, combined with the 122mm Rockets/Dual Siege Cannons can make short work of just about everything. The only reasonable counter I can see is heavy Blastguns/Bofors/Flak, since anything less than very heavy dedicated area of effect point defense will just get overloaded.

In my experience the new missile system suffers from the same problem the vanilla one does - non-regenerating missiles are simply not used, because of two reasons: Regenerating missiles are better because the ship using them never becomes useless and Regenerating missiles are simply more fun to use. In my opinion the solution would be to make more/all missiles regen (I've tried this in vanilla, it was awesome and balanced) so they're all fun and then tweak them from there so they all have unique quirks that are fun in different ways.

In terms of balance, I'd agree with the cooldown-only rocket pods being too good. Not because they're cooldown-only mind you - just because the cooldown is too short. There's too much damage flying out of there too often. They're especially crazy on fighters. Fighters would probably benefit from getting special fighter versions of the rocket pods that fire fewer missiles faster (as in the salvo is over faster, not necessarily more cycles in the same timeframe) - that would tune down their power some and also reduce the incidents of huge sprays of friendly fire rockets flying all over the place because the fighter started to break off his attack run while the rocket pods were still cycling.

AoE point defense has become even more important, that's true, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

As an aside, I've found that in practice small RSF ships (smaller than destroyer or possibly smaller than cruiser) are really quite bad compared to ISA ships. Especially ISA gunships just completely demolish RSF ships in comparison - I'm not entirely sure why but they can tank stream gun shot after stream gun shot without overloading, while other gunships overload after one or two shots from a decent kinetic. Shields seem like a trap for small RSF ships - turning them on is liable to get you killed much faster then leaving them off entirely.

Edit: Also wanna add that RSF destroyers with missile mounts are really cool when you mount rocket batteries on them. It just fits both visually and in terms of gameplay - straight up fixed forward pure firepower without a backup plan if things go sour.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 09:26:12 AM by DatonKallandor »

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: March 08, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »

Missile Changes:

In my experience the new missile system suffers from the same problem the vanilla one does - non-regenerating missiles are simply not used, because of two reasons: Regenerating missiles are better because the ship using them never becomes useless and Regenerating missiles are simply more fun to use. In my opinion the solution would be to make more/all missiles regen (I've tried this in vanilla, it was awesome and balanced) so they're all fun and then tweak them from there so they all have unique quirks that are fun in different ways.

In terms of balance, I'd agree with the cooldown-only rocket pods being too good. Not because they're cooldown-only mind you - just because the cooldown is too short. There's too much damage flying out of there too often. They're especially crazy on fighters. Fighters would probably benefit from getting special fighter versions of the rocket pods that fire fewer missiles faster (as in the salvo is over faster, not necessarily more cycles in the same timeframe) - that would tune down their power some and also reduce the incidents of huge sprays of friendly fire rockets flying all over the place because the fighter started to break off his attack run while the rocket pods were still cycling.

AoE point defense has become even more important, that's true, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

As an aside, I've found that in practice small RSF ships (smaller than destroyer or possibly smaller than cruiser) are really quite bad compared to ISA ships. Especially ISA gunships just completely demolish RSF ships in comparison - I'm not entirely sure why but they can tank stream gun shot after stream gun shot without overloading, while other gunships overload after one or two shots from a decent kinetic. Shields seem like a trap for small RSF ships - turning them on is liable to get you killed much faster then leaving them off entirely.

Edit: Also wanna add that RSF destroyers with missile mounts are really cool when you mount rocket batteries on them. It just fits both visually and in terms of gameplay - straight up fixed forward pure firepower without a backup plan if things go sour.
I can't help but feel that a balance could be struck between non-regenerating missiles and regenerating missiles. In vanilla, fights take a long time compared to Ironclads, things generally have more armor, weapons tend to produce more flux, and ships tend to dissipate flux slower. This makes it more likely that a fight takes over 2-3 minutes of firing weapons. The problem is that the regenerating Micro-missile launcher is roughly equal to other options before regenerating ammo. 800 HE damage from the first volley is very good, and beats anything you could fit at 2 OP. I think that significantly reducing the damage to 50 or less per missile would open up choices in the small missile department.

I'm fine with AoE point defense being a thing, but the amount of it that you need to handle something like a Harpoon or SU-252 attack run is quite high. Also, the rockets have quite a massive range, as they run out of power, but still drift forward for at least twice the range indicated.

RSF ships smaller than a Cruiser are very bad against ISA ships. Flares don't handle ECCM very well, and destroyers generally don't have enough point defense to handle missile spam. That said, RSF ships should not be using shields for more than tanking HE missiles. RSF cruisers and the Moscow are generally better than the ISA counterparts. The ISA has the best frigates and destroyers of the 4 main factions, but I think they have the worst cruisers and battleship.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: March 08, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »

Either an OP nerf or a damage nerf would probably fix micro-missiles. Currently they're just the best at all jobs, while also being cheaper. They're incredible anti-fighter, they're fantastic straight up damage dealers and they're amazing harass tools (thanks regen ammo) all for less OP than other non-regen missiles and generally with better accuracy too.

As for flak I've found two 42mm Flaks are sufficient to beat rocket pod salvos, and two small ballistic slots isn't too much to sacrifice for that.
Really the entire 42mm and advanced 42mm lines is amazing.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 281