Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 75

Author Topic: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (0.62a ALPHA build 34) (TC Mod)  (Read 420473 times)

Mavolio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (new 0.61a ALPHA build 3) (TC Mod)
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2013, 07:30:27 AM »

I haven't seen a computer with less than 4 gigs of available ram for gaming (after os usage) for a while, and 2 gigs on older or very low budget systems.  Memory allocation definitely should be kicked up a notch by default.

52.2% with 4 gig of ram or less

I2 gigs on older or very low budget systems.

14.13% with 2 gigs or ram or less

^^ steam hardware survey.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 07, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »

The vast majority have 2GB+ these days.  I'm still using 32-bit because I haven't wanted to go to Win8 yet.  Anyhow, I'm going to investigate the memory issue in the limited ways that I can.  What I'm seeing, though, is that right now, with the current number of Systems and fleets, the game's using about 800MB. 

Unfortunately, it's using about 500MB from startup, so there really isn't any wiggle-room for 512MB settings at all right now.

What I can do is to see about the fleet sizes; past that, we're talking about having to cut content, which I'd really rather not, or lower the number of Systems, which is not a big deal, although even then, I don't think the 512MB limit's sufficient.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

drakhades

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 07, 2013, 06:48:29 PM »

after playing a few hours i got a out of ram when saving (so my save is corrupted too)

i think there may be a problem with having lots of stations or something.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 07, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »

What are your memory settings?  Have you raised the memory limits to at least 1GB?
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »

In other news, I wrote a new auto-battle system today that will allow me to make a new type of memory-friendly "fleet" that should really help ease memory use and is very fast in terms of resolution.  It basically uses a "dice roll" resolution system, where more powerful fleets get more "dice".  If there is a winner, the other fleet is completely destroyed. 

This gets rid of one of the minor bits of fun- it's no longer possible to "vulture" big fleets by getting them to chase you and ramming them into other ones and then killing off the remainders.  On the other hand, it doesn't leave little groups of fighters roaming around, either, taking up space and eating CPU; battles are completely decisive.

However, for people who really liked that feature, I've even thought about a fix for that one that might work, basically a clone of Mount and Blade's system, where the defeated party spawns a new party of a special type that tries to run for the nearest safe location.

This is a fairly complicated experiment, though; to get it fully working to the point where I can significantly lower memory overhead, I'll have to build a new battle dialog system (which is the hard part).  That will probably take a week.

Ah well, I needed to do that anyhow. 
Xeno's Mod Pack

LostInTheWired

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 07, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »

after playing a few hours i got a out of ram when saving (so my save is corrupted too)

i think there may be a problem with having lots of stations or something.

What are your memory settings?  Have you raised the memory limits to at least 1GB?

This just happened to me, and I have definitely raised the memory limits.  It's pretty frustrating actually.  I didn't even get to build my space station, the most interesting part of the feature list that I really wanted to give a shot, along with the blueprint/construction system.  Not sure what to say at this point.  The balance changes aren't bad.  I love half of the changes, hate the other half, but it's an interesting change of pace either way.

But the memory issues are hitting like a brick wall at this point.  The first thing I may suggest is force only 1 station per celestial body.  The pirate moon/gas giant had 4 stations around it, which seems kind of excessive.  Stations seem to have a major impact on memory, so doing some limiting may help.  I would still make sure a world or two are empty for the player to build, just for fun.  Honestly, I don't know how to fix it other than reducing the systems/stations just in general.  Possibly fleet numbers.  But losing so much progress is killer.  I had 300k credits. ;-;

Garmine

• Lieutenant
  • We're The Borg. Every resistance is futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2013, 07:16:35 AM »

This just happened to me, and I have definitely raised the memory limits.

There's a backup save made automatically!

Go to the starsector/saves/save_SaveName_587165789165178547867/ (or similar) directory and look for two files - either campaign.zip.bak or campaign.xml.bak and descriptor.xml.bak. Save the two non .bak files (e.g. campaign.zip and descriptor.xml as something like campaign.zip.bug and descriptor.xml.bug) and then copy the two .bak files over the non-bak files (e.g. campaign.zip.bak to campaign.zip and descriptor.xml.bak to descriptor.xml).

You should have the last save before crash restored now! Depending on how often you saved you have lost from a few minutes to a whole day of progress.

Unfortunately this (obviously) won't fix the out of memory issues, so the same bug may happen again. :(
I went outside one day, the graphics were amazing, but the gameplay sucked...
Prepare yourselves for miscapitalization errors! *evil laugh*

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (new 0.61a ALPHA build 4) (TC Mod)
« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2013, 08:26:37 AM »

Build 4 is now available:

• Players can now choose lower numbers of Systems if they're low on RAM.
  • Players start with a "buddy".
  • Various minor fixes for weapons (mainly, stuff with a shot-charger that needed to be fixed, and a couple of minor buffs here and there).
  • Various other little cleanups, fixes, and polish things.

Still working on further measures to lower memory use, but this is probably a good first step :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:29:24 AM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (new 0.61a ALPHA build 5) (TC Mod)
« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »

Build 5 is now available:

• Player start choices effect starting faction relationships.  Oh, and the Factions' initial relationships are set up and all that.  Detailed diplomatic events are still not happening quite yet (i.e., relationships are static, other than what the Player does), but the stage is now set.
  • Fixed a buggy weapon setting (one of the PD pulse lasers had 1/10th of previous damage after the last build, lol, sorry bout that).
  • Other minor stuff I can't be bothered to document.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2013, 11:44:40 PM »

On memory I have mine increased to at least 2gigs so that helps with memory issues.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

Bucktail

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 10, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »

I set my ram usage to 2gigs but when I try to open starsector nothing happens. Is there a way to fix this?

OhNoesBunnies

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 10, 2013, 04:11:11 PM »

For whatever reason...

...Whatever I click defaults me to five star systems with the newest build of this. Is this a bug? D:

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2013, 04:15:05 PM »

I set my ram usage to 2gigs but when I try to open starsector nothing happens. Is there a way to fix this?

Use this solution,  http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=431.msg119610#msg119610
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:37 PM »

For whatever reason...

...Whatever I click defaults me to five star systems with the newest build of this. Is this a bug? D:
I'll check it out.  Probably :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum - Build a Stellar Empire. (new 0.61a ALPHA build 6) (TC Mod)
« Reply #269 on: December 10, 2013, 08:53:49 PM »

Build 6 is out.

Fixed the bug with the Systems not being generated as requested, and learned a weird factoid about how Java works along the way.

To set up the System generation code, I had to build a "singleton", which is basically just a fancy way to store data I want to access globally, across many scripts.  This is something that is a little different in every language I've ever learned, and in Java's case, it's (imho) especially weird.  Anyhow, I figured that out, wrote the code that's supposed to build the multiple Systems and the Faction relationships... and when the bug was reported, I tested... and the Faction relationships part worked, but not the Systems code.

After a lot of testing, I determined that, in CharacterCreationPluginImpl.java, if one attempts to modify a singleton's data without moving to at least one more stage, it doesn't get set. 

So you need a phantom "stage" to catch the last choices made, if they're going to impact persistent data, right there at the start of play. 

Which is weird, because I'd have thought that the operations used to change the singleton's data would have to run before we return and exit this little program and enter a new game, but it's how it works.  I'll probably go look the "why" up tomorrow, if I have time.  Anyhow, bug is fixed; if you have 3-4GB and were just dying to play with 24 Systems, now you can.
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 75