Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210659 times)

Romeo_One

• Captain
  • "Let me do the german dance for you..."
    • View Profile
    • Rejection - The Fight for Unity
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1200 on: February 08, 2013, 09:13:52 AM »

Just ignore him Erick, you provided feedback if that upsets some people, tough luck.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 08, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »

calm down people, he obviousely misunderstood it.
these things happen in text based communication.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 08, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »

Who needs to calm down? xD

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 08, 2013, 09:49:06 AM »

Shhhh. Everybody troll sleep time! This forum is a nono for any bastards (apart from me), also as people are so techy about this ship and i will guess any more WH40K why doesn't whoopiemonster post them in my thread? (just so we don't have this happen again, and so i can control him)(MUHAHhaha...ha..ha!)

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 08, 2013, 09:51:48 AM »

sooo.... maybe some new sprite, hmm ? anyone ?
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

Haha. Thats not a bad idea Pelhamds ;)

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 08, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »

Did you get upset because of the respones? If so sorry for that!

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 08, 2013, 10:20:50 AM »

Right, might as well get the ball rolling again, with moar dakka!

Annihilation Pulser
Spoiler

A truly devastating weapon, the Annihilation Pulser rapidly fires highly unstable energy bolts, which upon contact with matter, breaks up the atomic structure. This, rather predictably, has an effect not unlike a nuclear explosion. However the effect is much less pronounced in space than it would be in an atmospheric condition, though still a very dangerous weapon to be sighted by
[close]

Antimatter Conversion Devastator
Spoiler

This weapon is quite literally a weaponised version of the Lost's ship reactors. The premise of this weapon is that it shoots a beam that converts matter into antimatter and vise versa. Originally used to create self-sustaining generators, the device has also been turned to a horrific weapon that upon contact with an enemy hull, turns it into antimatter, causing subsequent annihilation reactions between the matter and antimatter around the borders of the impact.
[close]

Electron Destabiliser
Spoiler

A simple, energy efficient and effective weapon. The Electron Destabiliser has a high rate of fire and manipulates the magnetic field of whatever it hits so that electrons are repelled, changing the makeup of the hull. This weakening of the structure very often causes parts of the hull to "flake" off.
[close]

Molecular Purger
Spoiler

This unusual device is surprisingly deadly for its small size. It projects a blast that upon contact with any object, tears apart the structure of the material it is made up of, turning hull plating into hydrogen and similarly simple elements. Due to the nature of the weapon's operation, the shot must be produced outside of the gun, lest it be consumed by its own effects
[close]

Neutron Lance
Spoiler

As the Electron Destabiliser began to lose traction as a reliable anti-ship weapon due to larger ships being found, the Neutron Lance was developed. Similar in technical concept, the Lance instead ejects neutrons from the atomic structure of ship hulls. Such a seemingly subtle difference made a huge effect on the power of the weapon.
[close]

Null Field Projector
Spoiler

A highly enigmatic weapon that not even the creators fully understand how it works, the Null Field Projector quite literally "deletes" whatever the beam touches from existence. The details of where and/or when the matter that gets erased goes to is still unknown, and may never be known. This detail, however, is unimportant to the eyes of those people who use the weapon. All that matters to them is that it is a reliable way to cause heavy damage to an enemy ship, and that's good enough for them. For a more utility use, a similar device is used for garbage disposal.
[close]

Yeah, I'm getting heavy with the technobabble with my new project. It's surprisingly fun

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 08, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »

looking really good ,only thing i might advice to you is decreasing lining a bit, except that its look really great and vanilla. ^^
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »

Did you get upset because of the respones? If so sorry for that!

It would take more than that to scare me off ;)

Really cool weapons. They look great and the fluff you've written to go with them is really good. Are you planning on doing any fx to go with them?

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »

The aft section and the bow section are a Work In Progress.
Just want to clear things up here:
you said Work in progress, I said Placeholder.
WIP means that it's partway done, and just needs further detailing etc.
Placeholder means that it is just there to block out the shape, and any detail is irrelevant.
Does this help to explain my point of view?

I was not trying to "take a ***" on you, but rather point out that what you'd done was not an improvement in my opinion, I guess it sounds more angry than I meant it to looking back on it, but w/e, it's no big deal.

Let me further my thoughts on that effect you applied to the ship by using another ship you applied it to as an example:
Spoiler

After applying the effect lots of detail is lost and the high contrast between dark and light areas strains my eyes to look at.
Take the front left large? turret mount as an example, after the effect is applied most of the detail is removed as all but the lightest areas are converted to almost solid black.
I really would like to know your rationale behind using this effect on ships.
[close]

Back on topic, a Support Fighter:

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:11 AM »

The aft section and the bow section are a Work In Progress.
Just want to clear things up here:
you said Work in progress, I said Placeholder.
WIP means that it's partway done, and just needs further detailing etc.
Placeholder means that it is just there to block out the shape, and any detail is irrelevant.

That's your opinion but not the definition of a WIP. A placeholder can be a part of a WIP. But as you say, it is your point of view. I understand what you're saying.

Let me further my thoughts on that effect you applied to the ship by using another ship you applied it to as an example:
Spoiler

After applying the effect lots of detail is lost and the high contrast between dark and light areas strains my eyes to look at.
Take the front left large? turret mount as an example, after the effect is applied most of the detail is removed as all but the lightest areas are converted to almost solid black.
[close]

Back on topic, a Support Fighter:

That's an oldy. The rationale here is that it increases the contrast between the lighter and darker parts, resulting IMO in a better looking sprite. The loss of detail is neglectible and sometimes even desirable.

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »

Spoiler

[close]

That's an oldy. The rationale here is that it increases the contrast between the lighter and darker parts, resulting IMO in a better looking sprite. The loss of detail is neglectible and sometimes even desirable.

The reason that I feel that it's a bad choice is that the first ship is more or less the same style as vanilla ships, and the second one is significantly different, and it is a bad idea to have greatly differing artstyles in different factions.
Speaking on contrast, IMO there is much too much after the effect is applied. Personally to add depth to such a sprite i'd darken the "lower" areas and lighten the "higher" ones.
Also the effect makes the ship look rather shiny, almost plastic-like, not exactly the look I'd assume you were going for.

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 11, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

This is the finished article.

No place holders, no WIPS ;)

Constructive criticism desired please.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 11, 2013, 01:11:37 AM »

It's getting there, but your line thickness in the bottom bit is still too heavy. Zoom in on your lines, and erase some of the thicker bits. And you'll need to decide on a consistent lighting source. If you have a reference for your battlefleet gothic ship, literally shine a flashlight on it and see which bits are dark and which are bright when viewed from above; it'll help you a lot as you decide what to shade to make it 'pop'.

Good luck!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 482