Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2211008 times)

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1185 on: February 07, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »

Not at all dude. Like I say, we are learning and need people to be honest about it.

Yeh, I've put the sprite in game to get a better idea of how it looks etc and your on the money. It does need shading and depth adding to it - we hope to do more this weekend so will keep you posted :)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 08, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »

It could be nice to add parts that are sloping or round, many of the parts on the ship are flat on top and therefor your ship might look flat too.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 08, 2013, 03:19:25 AM »

Happy, the ships of the Imperium don't really do round :) They tend to be large blocky ships.

I've resized the ship and had a go at shading the mid section as well as adding some highlights.

Spoiler

[close]

C&C very much desired. :)

Edit: I can now see I have missed some areas on the lefthand side.. Do'h!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:32:43 AM by WhoopieMonster »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 08, 2013, 04:13:40 AM »

increased shafding might also work but for now the finished part looks a bit like picture upon picture.

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 08, 2013, 05:48:00 AM »

I'm not really sure what you mean dude.

Romeo_One

• Captain
  • "Let me do the german dance for you..."
    • View Profile
    • Rejection - The Fight for Unity
« Reply #1190 on: February 08, 2013, 05:49:17 AM »

The aft section looks like it was taken from another image, I believe thats what he meant.

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 08, 2013, 06:04:29 AM »

Like I said ealier, the mid section is the only part we have done. The reset is purely a place holder to help get the correct shape and ratios.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 08, 2013, 06:05:19 AM »

Look at the left side i have shaded it a bit, which makes it look more defined and theHappyFace was talking about the part i circled.(and i know its a placeholder)

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 08, 2013, 06:08:07 AM »

lol, thanks for the clue Pelhamds. :D

Thanks for the shading hints too. Gives me a better idea as to what is needed.

I have explained it several times, its almost like people just look at pictures and ignore the text :P

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 08, 2013, 06:49:12 AM »

lol well i actaully wasnt ,i was guessing he allready knew that part needs some work.
i was talking aout the middle part ,the one that is "finished".
i find it too flat at some parts and gave the advice to make some shading between the higher and lower parts or to add sloping surfaces with shading.

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 08, 2013, 07:37:44 AM »

Ah, apologies for the confusion but no part of the ship is finished :)

Perhaps shading was the wrong word. I had added shadows, I am currently trying to add shading and highlighting to better differentiate between the levels.

We will work on it over the weekend and post a new Image on Sunday. In the mean time happy Starsector-ing :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 08, 2013, 08:05:19 AM »

The mid section still looks too different from the aft section. I've tried to correct that a little:

Spoiler
[close]

WhoopieMonster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 08, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »

I have explained it several times, its almost like people just look at pictures and ignore the text :P

Edit: I appreciate the effort people are putting in to help, but please, please read the text. The aft section and the nose are place holders for reference only they will form no part of the ship.

I think in future I will post finished ships :P
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:17:34 AM by WhoopieMonster »

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »

The mid section still looks too different from the aft section. I've tried to correct that a little:
What did that poor ship do to deserve whatever it is that you did to it? seriously, that effect is horrible, it removes all the detail and makes the ship a vauge black bloblike Thing.
As WhoopieMonster said [several times], the rear is a placeholder, so obviously it's not going to fit with the rest. [do people not read posts properly nowadays?]

comments on the actual ship:
- the light mounts look a bit odd with their current rotations, personally i'd rotate them so they are all "pointing" outwards.
- having resized the ship the mounts don't quite look right.
- I'd suggest that you create the whole ship Before you do any shading, as IMHO it would be easier to see what shading is needed if you wait until the details are blocked out.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 08, 2013, 08:43:16 AM »

What did that poor ship do to deserve whatever it is that you did to it? seriously, that effect is horrible, it removes all the detail and makes the ship a vauge black bloblike Thing.
As WhoopieMonster said [several times], the rear is a placeholder, so obviously it's not going to fit with the rest. [do people not read posts properly nowadays?]

comments on the actual ship:
- the light mounts look a bit odd with their current rotations, personally i'd rotate them so they are all "pointing" outwards.
- having resized the ship the mounts don't quite look right.
- I'd suggest that you create the whole ship Before you do any shading, as IMHO it would be easier to see what shading is needed if you wait until the details are blocked out.

Maybe you should read what people write. The aft section and the bow section are a Work In Progress. Critisism was asked and I've posted visual feedback. I showed a way to make both the aft, mid and bow sections look similar, making the ship seem like a whole. Instead of three separate sections. Then again, if the aft and bow are redrawn like the midship, it will also all look okay.

So take a hike, Amazigh. These forums thrive on constructive criticism. Not people taking a *** on each other.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:49:41 AM by Erick Doe »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 482