Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2224381 times)

dogboy123

• Captain
  • Boron military barracuda
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #960 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:28 PM »

My first try at spriting for Starsector. I have sketches drawn up for much larger ships, but I have to start somewhere...

Spoiler
[close]

It's just a simple Low Tech Fighter/Interceptor with Dual LMGs at the front. It's made for speed but has low maneuverability.

EDIT:
I also made this one right here:

Spoiler
[close]

It's a high tech fighter with two PD Lasers. Has quite a bit of maneuverability due to the three engine setup.
The high tech one looks quite good, I would love to have a wing of those in my character's fleet :D
"I'm expecting an all-out tactical dogfight... followed by a light dinner.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 11, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »

My first try at spriting for Starsector. I have sketches drawn up for much larger ships, but I have to start somewhere...

Spoiler
[close]

It's just a simple Low Tech Fighter/Interceptor with Dual LMGs at the front. It's made for speed but has low maneuverability.

EDIT:
I also made this one right here:

Spoiler
[close]

It's a high tech fighter with two PD Lasers. Has quite a bit of maneuverability due to the three engine setup.
The high tech one looks quite good, I would love to have a wing of those in my character's fleet :D

Why thank you  ;D Do you have a suggestions or anything to make them better?

Romeo_One

• Captain
  • "Let me do the german dance for you..."
    • View Profile
    • Rejection - The Fight for Unity
« Reply #962 on: January 12, 2013, 12:08:16 AM »

You might want to add some shading, this would give the sprite more depth ^^

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 12, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »

You might want to add some shading, this would give the sprite more depth ^^

Can you give me an example of shading? I've only just begun spriting.

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 12, 2013, 01:16:03 AM »

You can take a look at my sprites *points towards his signature*,
or the several tutorials we have right here : http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3342.0

If you are using Photoshop and do not know what colors to use yet, you could create a new layer, set it to multiply, set your color to black and reduce the opacity to 30%, this will add a very nice shading effect, regardless of the color, since the multiplied color will adapt accordingly.

If you don't use Photoshop there is an open source project called GIMP that offers similar functions.

Lastly if you still need help just say so ^^

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #965 on: January 12, 2013, 01:34:45 AM »

Here's a missile-based fast-attack craft. The first ship I've made besides a kitmash of a Daedalus class.

The bit in front of the engines is a bit fugly, but hey, I'm just starting out -_-

3 small (forward facing) hidden missile turrets on the inner wings, mediums on the outer pods. A hidden medium Omni on the front, gunboat style.

[attachment deleted by admin]
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 12, 2013, 02:15:59 AM »

I like the the overall style, the aft section has a white orbish looking object, that looks unfinished though. I would clean that up and maybe add some markings, or color.

While the metallic look is somewhat realistic, it tends to look a bit "boring" since its mainly grey. Nonetheless I like it!

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #967 on: January 12, 2013, 02:18:51 AM »

So i've got the other 3 ships where i want them but on my new ship i tried something a bit different, and would like some feedback because im not sure what i like more... there's 4 images,  image one is just the ship , the 2nd is the same ship with a tad bit of blue in there, the third is the first image with a few adjustments and the last is the 2nd image with the adjustments from the third. if that made any sense.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

For the sake of letting you know what the ship is designed to do, it's a prison ship designed to transport human scum ( that'd be the entire human race as far as these machines are concerned) this is for important humans IE congressmen, generals, business tycoons, and the like. it can defend itself well to prevent humans from freeing those interned.

@ romeo i think that white unfinished bit is a hole, like an orb of empty space, im not sure though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 02:22:11 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 12, 2013, 03:12:35 AM »

@doom
there unfinished right... right?
the overall color in this case isnt too important as long as the detailed coloring you will add fits properly with the overall one.
the ship looks a bit messy which is not a big issue but do understand that you gonna need to put some efford in the detailed painting to make the shape more clearly.
lastly could you add parts that we can recognize as mounts and engines, i cant seem to find them except the large thing at the right side which might be a mounts.

@SpainardSlayer
you could also use paint.net which is also free and is fully focused on drawing instead of editing photo's.

as i can see on your sprites i would suggest drawing them at larger scale and them decreasing there size. they could use some more detailing and shading,
since i can see a lot of parts which are the identical color. for example see the window on the low-tech fighter and compare it a bit with the one from the broadsword.

@romeo-one
the ships look pretty nice.
one thing that bothers me is the section in the back. i never liked large parts that stick behind the engines
,but if i dont count that in i would want to point you at the part that conects the pipe-like parts with the main body.
this part could use something more... smooth. it looks a bit like you took one part and kit-bashed/ welded it to the other one.
maybe use the same thing you used to connect the pipes to the back side where one pipe is clearly connecting to the back part.
(feeling limited in my description... need to learn to use english better!)

Ps @all. try using @[name] instead of quote where its sufficient.
and personally i would suggest not to use "attach" to show your sprite,
instead upload it and use insert picture. this way i and others can see the sprite even when commenting.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 12, 2013, 03:22:17 AM »

@Doom101:

I like the fourth one best, the blueish tint gives it a more interesting look in my opinion.
I also like the stronger contrast with the lineart.

Keep it up, you will learn the more sprites you are doing, I think you are on the right track :)

One thing I would like to add though, I think that the left roundish area of the aft section looks a bit "barren".
A dome structure might fit well with the design, just a suggestion though ^^

@TheHappyFace:

Hehe the engines on the sides are auxiliary engines, the main engine is located at the aft.
Yeah I justed wanted to show my current WIP. Since its not finished yet there are some parts that lack polish.

Just wanted to get some feedback regarding the general shape.

@Elmokki:

Sorry seems I missed your ships ^^"

I think you picked an underused color palette, the color creates a nice contrast to the "metal" sections of your ships, I really like that.

The Tiera is a bit short for my taste and I think it needs some sort of sensor equipment, maybe add in an animated sensordish, or a bridge?

The Lemminkäinen, now there is an interesting name for a ship, is it able to kill the swan on the river? :P
Not much to say, I like it, if I had to add something I propably would add a bridge at its bow.

I think the Tapio fits well with the rest, nothing more to add really ^^

The Ilmatar strikes me as odd, especially the middle section. I think it could do with some sort of elevated platform.

Overall, really nice.

Oh and btw, welcome to the forums :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:45:34 AM by Romeo_One »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 12, 2013, 04:36:15 AM »

Sketch of a docked Antediluvian ship. It is no ship in particular, but it captures the overall style of Antediluvian frigates.

Spoiler
[close]

Romeo_One has inspired me to perhaps do a wiki on the Antediluvians. There's plenty of lore to go around, that's for sure. Thought I'd draw up some artwork for the wiki.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:01:36 AM by Erick Doe »

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 12, 2013, 04:38:52 AM »

Very nice picture! That little thing reminds me of a cricket, it looks like it could jump away at a moments notice.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 12, 2013, 04:45:18 AM »

@ Erick Doe:

Nice Im liking it, looking forward to read some lore ^^

BTW I wondered why no one has done a wiki before, since its basically the best place to explain the lore behind your factions, weapons and basically everything.
Squeezing all that into a forum post seems kinda overkill to me ^^.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #973 on: January 12, 2013, 04:47:33 AM »

@ thehappyface,
yes their unfinished otherwise i wouldn't be posting here?
i mean that is the idea right? to get help or ideas from your fellow modders/spriters. wouldn't be much point if i posted a finished sprite and then just ignored everything that was said.
Your issue with mounts is part of the way i design ships the vast majority of my ships use hardpoints and hardpoints alone, and even more then that they usually restrict what weapon is used in a slot so the parts of the ship that looks "gun like" are where hidden hardpoints would be, actual turrets that i intend for players to be able to customize DO actually have discernible mounts, most of the time. sometimes >.>  <.<  >.> as for engines this ship does not currently have engines, so that may be why you can't find them...
as for the messiness i was thinking of dividing the front " armor/ gun area" and the prisoner transport area in the back more clearly with some red or yellow.

@ romeo,

thanks!
i hope im getting better, but the roundish area you say looks barren that is a flight deck i guess i should add some yellow lights or something to make that more clear.

@ Erick doe,

..... is there a way i can like suck the skill out of your brain or something? like a vampire?
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 12, 2013, 04:59:55 AM »

@ Erick doe,

..... is there a way i can like suck the skill out of your brain or something? like a vampire?

Not really, no. But I appreciate the compliment.  :D
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 482