Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210822 times)

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #930 on: January 10, 2013, 10:09:34 PM »

@thule
all really nice weapons and nice way of presenting them ;)
are there projectiles just as good looking  :D

ps. spoilers plz
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 11, 2013, 12:52:18 AM »

Your destroyer pictures  don't work: 
Error (403)
It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.
^

Refined the new weapons.

from left to right, Bulwark Small Launcher and Pod Lauchner
High Velocity Pulse Cannon, small and medium. Large one will come later
Barbarossa Cannon refined

Spoiler
[close]

Very nice, Especially the Barbarossa cannon, When you add the recoil, Make a little back panel recoil with it :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #932 on: January 11, 2013, 01:01:39 AM »

Howdy i have 3 sprites i need some ideas on, i noted on the OP it says one sprite at a time and yet many others have posted multiples at once so i'll just put them each in spoilers. the last two i rather like, the first one is in danger of becoming a recycled file so if anyone wants it go ahead. or if you can give me a tip on how to make it better im not sure what about it i don't like i just don't.
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

( please note i'm using Gimp to edit my sprites and i'm totally clueless at most times with it so please keep that in mind)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:09:26 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 11, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »

hmm they look a bit generic at this moment (if generic is the right word)
they seem to be made with bsf and are mirrored.
two things which can make your ships look boring and uninterresting.
myabe you can color one and show it to us again.
this way i can give a better comment,
but remember to make it interresting by not making it look too much like any other standart space ship.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Romeo_One

• Captain
  • "Let me do the german dance for you..."
    • View Profile
    • Rejection - The Fight for Unity
« Reply #934 on: January 11, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »

*snip*

I think the Barbarossa needs a venting animation after it fired, that would be pretty cool.

Howdy i have 3 sprites i need some ideas on, i noted on the OP it says one sprite at a time and yet many others have posted multiples at once so i'll just put them each in spoilers. the last two i rather like, the first one is in danger of becoming a recycled file so if anyone wants it go ahead. or if you can give me a tip on how to make it better im not sure what about it i don't like i just don't.
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

( please note i'm using Gimp to edit my sprites and i'm totally clueless at most times with it so please keep that in mind)

Reminds me of Master of Orion 1/2 sprites, which is nice!

Is that the actual size? They seem kinda "blurred", thats what throws me off the most, I would say the shading is good
but I can't really tell since the images seem blurred.

The first two seem to establish a theme, however the third one kinda stands out. Since I prefer rectangular, triangular or trapezoidal ships, the shapes aren't really my cup of tea, however I think they have a rather interesting shape. "Effective, minimalistic machine styled" is the feeling I get from these.

In order to give suggestions I need a little more information; what look are you going for? Is there a theme unique to the faction that uses these ships?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:37:44 AM by Romeo_One »

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #935 on: January 11, 2013, 01:45:06 AM »

hmm they look a bit generic at this moment (if generic is the right word)
they seem to be made with bsf and are mirrored.
two things which can make your ships look boring and uninterresting.
myabe you can color one and show it to us again.
this way i can give a better comment,
but remember to make it interresting by not making it look too much like any other standart space ship.

The ships are made with Bsf and mirrored so i suppose that could cause a few issues. but at the moment im not really good enough to do anything else but i do have a few ideas for the future.
I'm not sure what you mean by coloring it since they are already colored....

-snip-

Reminds me of Master of Orion 1/2 sprites, which is nice!

Is that the actual size? They seem kinda "blurred", thats what throws me off the most, I would say the shading is good
but I can't really tell since the images seem blurred.

The first two seem to establish a theme, however the third one kinda stands out. Since I prefer rectangular, triangular or trapezoidal ships, the shapes aren't really my cup of tea, however I think they have a rather interesting shape. "Effective, minimalistic machine styled" is the feeling I get from these.

the actual size is roughly bigger than a paragon. these are shrunken, significantly originally i was going to make them all fighter wings or frigates so they'd end up being shrunken even more. interesting you noted that, they are all 3 for my mod, the first 2 are civilian ships thus they are lighter marked, the third is a military ship thus darker. also they are all machines they have no flair its all for performance. So i guess i got that part right if that's what you got out of it.

edit: noticed your edit, the faction that uses these ships focus on absolutely giant carriers and massive fighter fleets with frigates-cruisers few and far between
the third one might become a frigate or destroyer the first two if i decide to use them will be heavy fighters.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:48:21 AM by Doom101 »

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »

the actual size is roughly bigger than a paragon. these are shrunken, significantly originally i was going to make them all fighter wings or frigates so they'd end up being shrunken even more. interesting you noted that, they are all 3 for my mod, the first 2 are civilian ships thus they are lighter marked, the third is a military ship thus darker. also they are all machines they have no flair its all for performance. So i guess i got that part right if that's what you got out of it.

Mind posting the .png files? It would be easier to give suggestions if I had the actual file infront of me, since it would not be as blurry.

That would explain the difference in appearence than. I think I would like the military ship more if the bow would be longer, or rather the connecting shaft. Although due to the shape of the bow this might look a bid phallic. Which btw is nothing unusual with ship designs.

Is the "pilot" the ship? If so you might want to add some sensor equipment, this might spice things up a bit.

Its possible that they might look more interesting if you would add a feint blue to the overall color scheme.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:54 AM »

If you are going to use Battleships Forever to create ships, I recommend looking at:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3342.0

And viewing the third topic(Mine lol)

Your best bet is to start off small with BSF and then work your way up to kitbashing. After that you can then learn to do pixel by pixel spriting :)

I kind of don't like the lack of colours, and this is one of the main problems with BSF, Your best bet is to go into paint.net/photoshop and start changing the colours around, learn shading and such. Also a lack of detail due to the nature of BSF parts.

None of these problems are you fault, though. It is just the nature of that particular method :/
- Albert Einstein

Doom101

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #938 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26:29 AM »

@sproginator
i actually learned to use BSF from your guide, otherwise i wouldn't even be here today. kitbashing is just utterly out of my league i tried it once how anyone can make something remotely decent is beyond me entirely.

Mind posting the .png files? It would be easier to give suggestions if I had the actual file infront of me, since it would not be as blurry.
Its possible that they might look more interesting if you would add a feint blue to the overall color scheme.

Is the "pilot" the ship? If so you might want to add some sensor equipment, this might spice things up a bit.

The .png's have been posted along with a slightly blueish versions of the third one
The pilot is a sentient robotic entity inside the ship that is heavily interconnected with the ship but not enough that it can't leave the ship.

Edit: the files are too big for a .zip and yet they show up as images by themselves oy veh

[attachment deleted by admin]

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:08 AM »

I am liking the blueish one!

However I see now what my problem with the sprites is, the blurriness. I assume that is due
to the Battleship Forever Editor? Or did you change the size afterwards?

Because if thats the case, you might want to consider "cleaning" them up, since they look kinda muddy the way they are.

Won't lie to you, thats a lot more work than creating them from scratch.

So here is my proposition:

Place any of those ships as the bottom layer in GIMP and then draw on a seperate layer, outline and everything.
That way you will learn a lot about how these sprites work and will not only receive a cleaner, better looking version of these ships, but you will also learn a lot.

Which will propably improve your future creations.

However, do what you see fit, I honestly don't know what you could change, besides the things I already mentioned.
If they fit your theme, thats good, if you don't like it, well just do a new one, maybe you will like that one more.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:52:48 AM by Romeo_One »

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 11, 2013, 03:12:28 AM »

Error (403)
It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home.

Well... reupdated the links, I hope they work fine now.

Spoiler

Sabre

Sagaris
[close]

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 11, 2013, 03:15:34 AM »

@sproginator
i actually learned to use BSF from your guide, otherwise i wouldn't even be here today. kitbashing is just utterly out of my league i tried it once how anyone can make something remotely decent is beyond me entirely.

Oh, Cool.

Well, I used to design the main pieces of the ship in BSF, Then load it up in paint.net, adjust the colors, Sharpen it. Then proceed to add more detail through layers and such until I had what I wanted :)
- Albert Einstein

Romeo_One

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 11, 2013, 03:20:08 AM »

Error (403)

Spoiler

Sabre

Sagaris
[close]

Somehow I feel like the Sabre needs to be a bit longer and a bit thinner at the bow section, right now I am thinking "broadsword" when I look at it. Colorscheme seems interesting, complementary contrast can be really cool. The ships look very "alien" I like that. What are the two red sections at the sabre's bow?

I assume the Sagaris mounts a big beam weapon at its bow, is that right? Because that would make an interesting shape.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:56 AM »

Error (403)

Spoiler

Sabre

Sagaris
[close]

Somehow I feel like the Sabre needs to be a bit longer and a bit thinner at the bow section, right now I am thinking "broadsword" when I look at it. Colorscheme seems interesting, complementary contrast can be really cool. The ships look very "alien" I like that. What are the two red sections at the sabre's bow?

I assume the Sagaris mounts a big beam weapon at its bow, is that right? Because that would make an interesting shape.

& im like the "bulky" design plus i think they look cute (dunno why :D)
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Dr. Death[Lexx]

• Lieutenant
  • Solar Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 11, 2013, 03:35:07 AM »

Error (403)

Spoiler

Sabre

Sagaris
[close]

Very cool looking destroyers, Machine. Nice work. I can see that the engineers who worked on those ship designs loved the Medusa's blueprints. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, I really like both of the designs. Good stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 482