Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2223983 times)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Judgement thread give and receive comments on sprites
« Reply #240 on: October 12, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »

Will probably be fine for you, im stuck on my titan, no idea how to fill the brown spots and anything empty to make it look good, and making new parts from scratch is out of the question, i suck at shading.

Spoiler
[close]

not much suggestion I can give....probably you can try sketch it on pencil to get a general idea before you actually do it and limited by what you are using now
Spoiler
i somehow believe function decided form. might need to decide a more concrete role of your ship so that you KNOW what are in those space instead of trying to figure what to put in the space

if you can do it this far you already got more then enough skills to make it good design-wise, worry shading when you get the parts ready later
[close]

and you are having some pretty long range small mount weapon seems :P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:17:48 PM by maximilianyuen »
Fleet construction in progress.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »

@ValkyriaL:  I can see that you're putting a huge amount of work into this beast :)  Suggestions:

Spoiler
A.  Follow Amazigh's advice, in terms of smoothing the shading between higher and lower areas.
B.  Darken the lower areas slightly and shade from there, it will help create a greater sense of depth.
C.  Add some shading to suggest some bumps and holes in the major structural components, and break it up a little bit with color; right now, it's a Big Brown Flat Shape, which, if you add enough little details, will look OK, but it won't look really awesome until there's a greater sense of 3D form to it.

As a suggestion you could try finishing the ships layout and detailing before you try shading if you lack confidence in your abilities at shading.
Generally, I like to suggest that the opposite works better; shading may create curvature that panel lines, etc. should naturally follow, so it's often better to get it shaded how you want, and get the forms you were aiming for, then add in panel lines and final detailing, imo, simply because it's faster :)
[close]

@silentstormpt:

Big improvement there, the overall form is a lot stronger.  I might be able to do a quickie on it later this evening, see if I can do something whacky to it just for fun :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2012, 04:15:40 AM »

As a suggestion you could try finishing the ships layout and detailing before you try shading if you lack confidence in your abilities at shading.
Generally, I like to suggest that the opposite works better; shading may create curvature that panel lines, etc. should naturally follow, so it's often better to get it shaded how you want, and get the forms you were aiming for, then add in panel lines and final detailing, imo, simply because it's faster :)[/spoiler]
not completly agreeing.
best he could do is first try to figure out the overall shape within the border of his sprite.
at this moment his sprite is flat not only because of lack of shading but also due to no large shapes on the sprite.
first try to figure out those shaped,
Add some hand drawn lines in a different layer that give you the shaped borders then start adding kitbashed parts that fit in to them,
add shading on each part, add details like vents and other smaller stuff if it isnt allready added with the kitbashed parts (same with the shading).
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2012, 09:36:14 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I changed some of the structure of the ship and enlarged it by a bit, let me know what you think:

This is not at all a final version (no cleaning, shading out of BSF, or turrets/hardpoints). I hope the wings now look like they are a part of the mid structure and underneath the lighter shaded areas.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »

Will probably be fine for you, im stuck on my titan, no idea how to fill the brown spots and anything empty to make it look good, and making new parts from scratch is out of the question, i suck at shading.

Spoiler
[close]

Was browsing this post and figured I might have some helpful advice in regards to this general "artist's block" issue. While I am certainly not an artist, a few techniques I learned from a high school drawing class years ago have really come in handy with starfarer spriting.

1) So you are having difficulty fleshing out your design with detail after the basic sketch has been made? Take the starfarer ships already designed and put them under a microscope in a matter of speaking. Enlarge them to around 800% or more and look at the individual pixels. Look at the types of colors and transparency of each pixel and how it blends into one another. Now zoom back out and see what affect that has on the ship. Most of the time it will be miniscule details but that is what you are going for anyway. Once you get an idea of how detail comes together it will be much easier to fill in those empty areas with interesting texture

2) Shading: Once you have your base color established, to shade all you really need is a dark grey or black with a high transparency to shade. First shade the outline a dark version of the grey, then the adjacent area a slightly lighter shade of the same grey. Repeat this process up the sprite until realistic shadow is created.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »

Just spriting and kitbashing. Wanted to create a light cruiser based on the Falcon and Eagle. Came up with the "Vulture".

On the far right is a sleeker look that I abandoned. Currently working on number three and four. Can't decide whether I should keep the bridge section, or just go for the more symmetrical look. Which one do you guys like better?

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »

Oh, I absolutely love those!

I think the one in the middle is best (of the vultures that is, ignoring the vanilla ships). I think the bridge section in the others looks a tad out of place, after all it's a symmetrical design with an asymmetrical bridge... what?

I think the best bet for bridge placement would be something more akin to the enforcers bridge, I.e; integrated into the hull so that you can only see the windows, and perhaps a slight bulge. in the middle? Scratch that, I think the ideal place for the bridge on this would be right next to the large(?) mount at the front.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 13, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »

And while we're on 'bashes, I'd like to throw one of my own in for consideration:

Spoiler
[close]

this is the Bakoros, compared to my other 'bashes it's quite odd. My brain is convinced it's flying backwards. what do you guys think? (anything that i could improve?)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

I'd like to see a bridge, I like the one on the right. :) But then again, Hyph's idea, I like.  Go for either, see what happens. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 13, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »

@The Soldier, Hyph_K31

I think I'll add a bridge at the front of the ship, replacing that mount. You'll see.  ;)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 13, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »

Tada!

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »

Hrmmm...

I'm not entirely sure about that. But I also don't know how to put it into words! >.<

I think those new small points look out of place. Perhaps if you moved the whole thing down a touch and made it slimmer?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

Hmm...it looks awkward.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »

Shortened the neck, made it broader. Looks more in line with the rest of the ship now, I think.

Spoiler
[close]

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2012, 12:01:03 AM »

Shortened the neck, made it broader. Looks more in line with the rest of the ship now, I think.

Spoiler
[close]

that's quality stuff that I will remember and use as reference :)

seems 2 large hardpoint ballistic canon at the front?
Fleet construction in progress.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 482