Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210654 times)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Judgement thread give and receive comments on sprites
« Reply #225 on: October 09, 2012, 07:24:17 AM »

Heres something that actually took me more time, its like doing a puzzle, finding the nice pieces that fit, and do some melding.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32263294/bigalienship.psd

a quick work at a break during OT at 10:15pm...
since your psd is perfectly separate into layers you can simply add drop show and inner shadow to get it done quickly, don't give up ;)
Spoiler
[close]

ps forget to remove the outer shadow....but you get a bit of the idea(easier than just text i hope)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:30:08 AM by maximilianyuen »
Fleet construction in progress.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 09, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »

Oh, sorry, you can make it glow on the glow image file, and make it glow even more on the recoil (since its firing)

the placement is a matter or trial and error, on the Try's shipbuilder you place the weapon then quickly check ingame where its showing, and correct it slowly.

Also i just noticed some really bad ship melding i did when you posted the image again, as you may noticed, the *.PSD has no melding in, so its really just parts, ill probably release a huge *.PSD and a *.PNG file with all parts seperated and with that "shadowing"/shade on each piece so you guys can knock yourselfs on building your version of the ships, im thinking of making some weapons and place it here for you guys use/learn/modify and make your own versions of it.

Right now im not home, probably will be in 3h or so, ill get to it once i get home

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »

That would be nice but i would rather have you placing that at the spriters thread since this one is just mend for comments. ;)
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 09, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »

That would be nice but i would rather have you placing that at the spriters thread since this one is just mend for comments. ;)

Noticed i hijacked this thread, errr, sorry about that

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 09, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »

You guys really helped me on my last sprite! What do you think of this one? Its supposed to be the same faction as the previous one I posted.

Thistle class attack destroyer:

I plan to put turrets on the empty side bits on the very front and I think I might needs  a little texturing on the middle front as well.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »

Seems a bit dark at the front, no?  Your previous one was a bit lighter. :)

And for a destroyer-class vessel, mainly around ~200 pixel long axis.  Yours is a bit short (~150), perhaps a Heavy Frigate or a Light Destroyer?

Other than that, it looks fine by my intrained eye. :P
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »

I think you're right about the Light Destroyer thing, but I'm ok with that. I was comparing sizes and ended up making a nice image:

I ended up darkening the old one, but maybe I went a bit too far :P.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »

You guys really helped me on my last sprite! What do you think of this one? Its supposed to be the same faction as the previous one I posted.

Thistle class attack destroyer:

I plan to put turrets on the empty side bits on the very front and I think I might needs  a little texturing on the middle front as well.

looks like a highly maneuverable destroyer given so many engine

but probably need something unique to make it and your previous ship connect and stand as the same fraction?

right now the style is a more BSF than your own?

just my 2 cent :P
Fleet construction in progress.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2012, 12:52:16 AM »

I got to agree with maximilianyuen.
Spoiler
- Also the wing like parts on the side dont seem to match the other parts of the ship.
they seem to be placed on top of it with no connection at all  :-\
-the back part seems a bit off too ,since it is in-line with the wing parts ,but doesnt match those.
maybe make them shorter so they are in-line with eachother and make the style of that part resemble that of the wings
(or the other way around).
- is this the final version? if so it misses a whole lot of shadingwhich makes the middle look flat.
- and you might wanna make a mount for the turret instead of just placing it on it. In my opinion its nice to see that the mount is really part of the ship instead of just sticked on top of it.
[close]
Good luck!  :D

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 04:13:32 PM by silentstormpt »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2012, 08:40:33 PM »

I like the designs, here are my takes. 

I think the main thing that I'd like to see from you is more attention to light and shadow; when you have outlines like that, use them to denote areas in a new layer, and build the light up so that we can really see the forms of the object clearly. 

I feel that you're going for a "worn" look, but you need to look at what distressed metals actually look like; generally speaking, they aren't black on gray, because metals change colors when you heat them up or stain them and most metals aren't true gray to begin with.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »

(remember to put sprites, descriptions and "large" comments in spoilers, thanks in advance)

I agree with xenoargh.

One other thing.
The grey looks a bit boring in my opinion ,but the other one is really interresting.
just where did you wanna put the weaponry?
In my opinion its important for a sprite to have visible weapon mounts on the hull.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2012, 03:34:20 AM »

They will probably have custom made hardpoints, actually, was trying how i could create a military like painting on the ship, and tested out how would look with only black and white, thats the result, that wave like shadow, i really like how you managed to get the light on that frigate xeno:

Heres another quicky:

I also noticed my Photoshops using a wierd monitor color, making grey into brown  :-\

Ive been doing really simple shadow with only one layer on top with inner shadows

I think ill try bluring the lines, ive noticed that on the vanilla ships..

Also debating how the hell im going to create a Titan with these small sized pieces, unless i leave a giant hole inside :/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:35:22 AM by silentstormpt »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57:22 AM »

Will probably be fine for you, im stuck on my titan, no idea how to fill the brown spots and anything empty to make it look good, and making new parts from scratch is out of the question, i suck at shading.

Spoiler
[close]

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2012, 04:40:03 PM »

Will probably be fine for you, im stuck on my titan, no idea how to fill the brown spots and anything empty to make it look good, and making new parts from scratch is out of the question, i suck at shading.

Spoiler
[close]
the shading around the "bridge" looks really bad, you'll want to smooth that out or something.
and the lighter area looks lower than the dark edge because of how you've shaded it, and that shading is also quite bad and could do with some smoothing.

Generally this ship is a victim of gratuitous pillow shading.

As a suggestion you could try finishing the ships layout and detailing before you try shading if you lack confidence in your abilities at shading.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 482