Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210777 times)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Judgement thread give and receive comments on sprites
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »

Heres something that actually took me more time, its like doing a puzzle, finding the nice pieces that fit, and do some melding.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32263294/bigalienship.psd

i really like it. is it some sort of ai ship?
now the thing is here, probably need the AO and shading, and maybe a good idea to add some glow to the green light ;)
Fleet construction in progress.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2012, 06:04:03 PM »

How's this? :)

First sort of larger ship that I've made.

P.S. - Yes, it uses the outline of Okim's Omsk frigate, I already asked permission. :)

for me i always add some texture to pure gradient to make it look less vector 8)

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »

All parts i had in hand only allows these type of ships that lookalike AI ships (im using that circle part to resemble an AI or a huge drone)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2012, 06:11:04 PM »

I like it more vector-y, gives some shape to my ship.  Still can't get the hang of GIMP, so that'll be as much gradiant as I can add. ;D

And what's pure gradiant again? :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

some quick shade there, k off to sleep almost 3 am here

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »

I like it more vector-y, gives some shape to my ship.  Still can't get the hang of GIMP, so that'll be as much gradiant as I can add. ;D

And what's pure gradiant again? :)

by vector/pure gradient i mean its a little bit flash like
like the outer red

adding some detail, like the yellow arrow you did to the deck would help dramatically..

posting on my mobile on way to work so no spoiler :P

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »

some quick shade there, k off to sleep almost 3 am here

you make it a bit hard for me :/
first you make a ship resembling the ironclad style and then you add this shading to it.  :P

Spoiler
I will just do like it is mend to resemble vanilla to comment on it  ;)
- even though you added shading to the sides it still is hard to guess its shape. try adding shading to the parts in the middle ,so the viewer can see whether those parts are higher or lower than there neighbours. if they ain't higher or lower i would say that the ship design is quiet flat...
- your earlier version was a lot  brighter. i know you added shading to it which means it should get darker ,but to keep the white color ,i would recomment increasing luminositie (curve tool in paint.net). (ignore this comment if you want your ship to look grey.
- the laser part on the front (i guess it is an built-in laser) seems rather flat ,so do the green lines.
- at a closer look the green lines give light. you might wanna increase the light radius ,since it is not clear on normal zoom that they give light.
- you said the middle core was somekind of ai core. imo i would make it brighter or use some other way to make it catch the eye.
it is an important part of the ship ,so it should obviously attract the viewers attention.
- the frontal lights are a bit shaded away might wanna give them the same brightness. if the green parts are lgiht then they should also give light meaning they are not shaded like the other parts of the ship.
- the parts at the back seem a bit weird to me. i cant figure out what there 3d shape should be. might wanna give the viewer some more hints on that part.
[close]
good start and i see a future for this ship.
might be epic if you could make the frontal spike a built-in laser (if not allready) and make all the green lights glow when it fires.
i done something similar with a ship of mine and it looks quiet good ^^.
 :)

ps. remember the rules people!
- post your ships and descriptions in spoilers.
- just post one ship for comments with the same style ,so we can focus on that one.
thank you all in advance
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:34:04 PM by TheHappyFace »
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2012, 03:05:48 AM »

oh one thing i havent explained before, these are in no way considered final works, theres no shading at all for everyship i made so far, the last one how ever all i did was adding an "shade" effect really fast and checked how it looked with it, i did that effect on the whole image instead of the parts. That *.psd file is a Photoshop file with all the layers i used without any modifications so anyone can do their own "remix" of the ship, or a much better shading on it.

One thing i seen so far from these parts, makes them really hard to create huge ships, all parts are just too small to effectivelly create a huge hull where i can add those "extra details".

I got a huge amount of BSF parts done by their community, ill be creating more ships, im trying to get ideas for the MoO ships but it seems theres no other way then create them from scratch like Okim does.

I sadly suck ALOT on adding those details like shading and light/shadow contrasts, i personally prefered this was done by someone with more expertise on that area.

With that said, feel free to change anything im adding on this thread and i dont feel it requires any need for credits, these are incomplete work that require little to do besides knowing where the pieces fit best then remove/add some pixels so they "mend" togueter.

EDIT: Just noticed i tend to repeat parts of the post again and again argh....

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:17:05 AM by silentstormpt »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2012, 03:09:04 AM »

thats sad  :-[
your off to such a good start.
dont you want to learn it instead of asking people to help you make them?

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2012, 03:24:26 AM »

thats sad  :-[
your off to such a good start.
dont you want to learn it instead of asking people to help you make them?

Well, im more of a programmer kind of guy, knowing how i actually managed to do a "decent" job getting those lego parts to look like an actual alien ship is already an achiv. itself. If theres ppl more experienced on that "area" i would always leave it to them

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2012, 03:33:46 AM »

well if you change your mind i will be happy to help and there are quiet a few guides to help you too.  :)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2012, 03:57:40 AM »

might be epic if you could make the frontal spike a built-in laser (if not allready) and make all the green lights glow when it fires.
i done something similar with a ship of mine and it looks quiet good ^^.

please  teach  me:D

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 09, 2012, 04:14:45 AM »

Yeah the only problem is placing it on the exact place correcly, rest is really easy, maxi, to make it glow you just need to copy the part you want, on my case its that spike and the surrounding green lights, delete whats not needed and leave the green pixels, after that is messing around with making it more bright, after that you make sure you copy your work into the smallest possible image so its easier to actually place it.

on the *.wpn file im sure you noticed the 4 images for the weapon, you just need to add the image you done on it.

the hardest part will be positioning. once set, make a laser or w/e weapon you made for it.

Because its a laser, you dont need a recoil unless you want to create one, on our case the "brighter lights" is our recoil image.

Need to create a specific laser "looks" for this weapon

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 09, 2012, 05:50:54 AM »

Yeah the only problem is placing it on the exact place correcly, rest is really easy, maxi, to make it glow you just need to copy the part you want, on my case its that spike and the surrounding green lights, delete whats not needed and leave the green pixels, after that is messing around with making it more bright, after that you make sure you copy your work into the smallest possible image so its easier to actually place it.

on the *.wpn file im sure you noticed the 4 images for the weapon, you just need to add the image you done on it.

the hardest part will be positioning. once set, make a laser or w/e weapon you made for it.

Because its a laser, you dont need a recoil unless you want to create one, on our case the "brighter lights" is our recoil image.

Need to create a specific laser "looks" for this weapon

so..it cant be a turret with rotation right?

and theres no weapon editor like the ship did, cant quite figure it out yet

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 09, 2012, 06:14:02 AM »

No it cant since the image would rotate with it.

BTW, I used the weapon glow instead of the recoil :-/

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 482