Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2222243 times)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Judgement thread give and receive comments on sprites
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2012, 06:45:42 AM »

probaply gives it perfect shading

huh don't get get it? maybe please point out where you see the problem? ;)
Fleet construction in progress.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »

well if you make a ship in a 3d program you can let the program calculate all the shading which means its closer to perfect
than when you would do it by hand. this way the shape will come out a lot better.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2012, 08:15:25 AM »

That mother ship looks good no matter how you improve it in my eyes. my titan is progressing nicely, half the ship is done now,

but the yellow armor in the middle looks kinda empty.. if you know what i mean, like there should be something there.

Any new pointers? the flatness will be fixed later when everything is done. and i increased the engine size and added more of them. (they need some work since they look like they are directly from the factory)

Spoiler
[close]

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »

well if you make a ship in a 3d program you can let the program calculate all the shading which means its closer to perfect
than when you would do it by hand. this way the shape will come out a lot better.

well it's done in 3D mostly, then i combine the rendered layers of light, ambient and base in photoshop with added little details like text and navigation light.

not much is added outside 3d programe so still don't get where you see the shading is wrong.... :-\

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2012, 08:22:45 AM »

That mother ship looks good no matter how you improve it in my eyes. my titan is progressing nicely, half the ship is done now,

but the yellow armor in the middle looks kinda empty.. if you know what i mean, like there should be something there.

Any new pointers? the flatness will be fixed later when everything is done. and i increased the engine size and added more of them. (they need some work since they look like they are directly from the factory)

Spoiler
[close]

maybe you can add some texture overlay to the centre part?
and adding small text/label like naming the battlestation always work for me, but it's personal taste

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »

well it's done in 3D mostly, then i combine the rendered layers of light, ambient and base in photoshop with added little details like text and navigation light.

not much is added outside 3d programe so still don't get where you see the shading is wrong.... :-\
ow i think you misunderstood me there  :D
i said 3d rendering gives it a good shading which you did!
you did it the right way!
I was just telling someone a good reason for using a 3d program.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »

ow i think you misunderstood me there  :D
i said 3d rendering gives it a good shading which you did!
you did it the right way!
I was just telling someone a good reason for using a 3d program.

ops :-*

need to practice english more too...

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2012, 09:48:24 PM »

This is the first sprite I've done mainly in Battleship Forever... I'm still not used to it :P. A small scout frigate with a decent energy weapons loadout. Its currently uncolored, I'm not sure if I'll give it a tint. What do people think?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2012, 07:01:02 AM »

This is the first sprite I've done mainly in Battleship Forever... I'm still not used to it :P. A small scout frigate with a decent energy weapons loadout. Its currently uncolored, I'm not sure if I'll give it a tint. What do people think?

Looks good, Bit fuzzy though :S
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Piroton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2012, 08:12:13 AM »

It's not terribly interesting, but it's not exactly bad, either. It's rather generic with an overall uninteresting shape. the engine hubs also look a wee bit impractical, unless your ship is intended to have engines mounted on top of it. Honestly there isn't much to say about the general design, but I guess it works - a generic egg-shape.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »

It's not terribly interesting, but it's not exactly bad, either. It's rather generic with an overall uninteresting shape. the engine hubs also look a wee bit impractical, unless your ship is intended to have engines mounted on top of it. Honestly there isn't much to say about the general design, but I guess it works - a generic egg-shape.

no one get the first one perfect :)

engine hub can be

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I need to clean up the black lines in photoshop to remove the "fuzz"... not looking forward to that :P

Hmm, fair enough. I thought that because it is a frigate and therefore really small it didn't need a very unique shape. I do like simpler shaped in general... what would people think if I opened up the sides a bit like this? (note, not edited at all from BSF)

[Edit] New image:

I'm thinking about removing the medium mount energy and slinging a pair of hardpoints between the 'leaves'.

The ship is actually supposed to have top and bottom mounted engines, it just doesn't come across that well.. maybe I'll change the layering so the pods are a bit covered.

[Edit] Good call on the engines! I think this looks much better!

I think this will be the Lotus Class attack frigates...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:01:44 PM by Thaago »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »

Turrets/Hardpoints added, a little bit of cleaning. No tinting yet.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2012, 02:43:46 PM »

Reduce the 2-pixel lines to 1 before you tint it; they make it feel like something smaller you sized up, and the pixelation's pretty obvious.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »

Believe it or not there are no 2-pixel lines on the entire ship - I think that ImageShack  distorted the picture when I uploaded it  :-\. Still a whole lot of cleaning to do, but I think I've settled on this as a design - The only major change is that I completely removed the horizontal segment line in the middle.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 482