Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2223241 times)

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Judgement thread give and receive comments on sprites
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »

they are the same size

also the angled mounts were made as a balance issue, as I didn't want a frigate that could easily be used for 4 reapers, however, I did want 4 missile mounts.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:28:43 PM by medikohl »
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Sr. Coronado

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 24, 2012, 11:25:10 PM »

Here is my first attempt at doing some hand(mouse?)-spriting from scratch. I'm extremely new, so any pointers are super-appreciated!!

Ship Info:
It is a Free Planets Alliance Destroyer from Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and I hope to make a conversion modification for Starfarer that will focus on the series' huge ships with an emphasis on tactics - an Alliance Ajax Flagship will likely be between ~200 x 1100 pixels (as opposed to capital ship dimensions being around 200ish x 500ish in Starfarer) and boast an enormous array of firepower.

The Destroyer is one of the smallest ships of its class and will be a frigate armed with 6 forward beam cannons, a box missile launcher near its center and 14 5.5 cm PD lasers along its broadsides. Like many Alliance ships, it lacks a shield system and, compared to its Imperial counterparts, is outgunned. As a result, an Alliance Destroyer captain relies on a strange combination of sturdier armor and speed to maneuver around the firing angles of his enemies and destroy them.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:31:51 PM by Sr. Coronado »

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2012, 11:31:54 PM »

it's flat, brighten the center, make it contrast the edges
"Watch me"

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »

something I'm plotting on adding to starfarer plus.
"Watch me"

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »

@ Xenoargh
You are awsome!
what else is there to say.
Thanks, but I didn't really do that much; most of the things that made these ships awesome was already there, just waiting for some touchup to make it come to life :)  

That said, one of the things I'm trying to help people to get a better understanding of is how that final pixel-work really makes a huge contribution.  That, and proper lighting, are the main keys.  A lot of people just try executing at large sizes and shrinking it, which doesn't work, even if you sharpen the results a bit.  

You really should expect to do about half of the work on a ship at the final scale, and quite a lot of work on individual pixels.  It's unavoidable, but it gets pretty easy once you've mastered the basics.  

Just bear in mind simple rules, like the fact that if you draw major panel lines at a large scale, which is generally a little easier (imo) they need to be roughly at a scale that's going to still be 1 pixel plus edge shading when shrunk.  So if it's 900 pixels now and it's going to be 250 pixels in the final scale, using 3-pixel lines will give a good result, but 2-pixel lines may or may not work well.  But there simply is no avoiding having to do work on pixels, specifically when it comes to blacklining and other things.

@medikohl:
they are the same size
Check the numbers; I pushed it out 14 pixels side-to-side, and it's 7 pixels longer.  Makes a difference.

That isn't very important, though; what's important is where the center points of the hardpoints are now, if you put them in about 3-4 pixels from the end of the launcher booms.  It doesn't matter if you want to angle all 4, either, they should now be far enough out that they won't overwhelm the ship sprite.  You can't do that with the way it was before, because they were aligned on the Y axis and you didn't have freedom to push them sideways.

Oh, and that last one is really sexy, nice work!

@Sr. Coronado:  Welcome, neat first sprite design, love the details :)

Crits/Hints:
Spoiler
It needs a lot more attention spent on relative height, specific lighting and shadows and it's using a lot of pure black, which you generally want to avoid.  

I see a lot of hull edges that are bright where they should be dark, which makes the whole thing feel flat, and the whole outside needs to be carefully blacklined and have all the fuzzies removed.

Also, it's generally a bad thing to fuzz the point light sources, if they're on the hull; it makes them muddy where you want them to be sharp.  Only when a light's casting rays onto a given surface do you want some of that light's color there.  Outside the hull, it's actually totally inaccurate (in space, lights don't have any halo) but it looks better to us humans, for the same silly reasons why space games have sound :)

Personally, I think it also needs more color variation, too; some grays in various areas would break up the ship a bit more and give its greebles a bit more character.  But that's just me :)
[close]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:02:18 AM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sr. Coronado

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2012, 11:51:17 AM »

Thanks for the help, xenoargh & medikohl! Here's a (hopefully) somewhat fixed version, I don't think I have enough practice yet to be able to tell but hopefully it's a bit better than the other posting. I'm a bit stuck on color variation, since I'm trying to stay as true as possible to the original design from LoGH but I'll definitely try to add some visual interest once I get the lighting down.

Edit: Just noticed that I forgot to separate the two engine levels with a black line.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:08:41 PM by Sr. Coronado »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »

Here's my take on it, hope it's useful to study (to learn more about lighting and pixel cleanup techniques).  

Before/After:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:28:47 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »

Here's my take on it, hope it's useful to study (to learn more about lighting and pixel cleanup techniques).  

Before/After:

I had an EPIC idea, Connect two together! :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »

Rate this?  Was my first "custom" ship, whether or not it's a fighter, I like it. :)

Yea, kinda tiny.  I've been attempting larger ships, but I never get the right shape or outline.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »

Well, I'd like to see stronger lighting, personally.  It basically looks black with a teeny blue window over here.  Good design, just can't see the details :)

I had an EPIC idea, Connect two together!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:07:53 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sr. Coronado

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »

Thank you very much! Much appreciated, xenoargh! I still have a lot to learn with pixel work  ;D

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »

No problem, if you have questions about how to Do Stuff, ask :)

@The Soldier:  OK, got bored and did a version of your fighter.  Check it out, it's still very dark, but should be mainly visible on most people's screens and have some details.

Before/After:
Xeno's Mod Pack

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »

hmm...I'll take a look. :) I was trying to get a stone-grey and brownish-red feel to it (sort of like the RSF ships from the Ironclads mod).  The one you made looks a bit better, and thanks!
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »

Well, if you wanted it gray / brown-red, then you can just color-shift it a bit, after selecting the body pixels:

What I'm mainly showing here is that you need to use light to denote form; without some contrast, you just have a dark shape against a dark background, which doesn't look all that great.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:08:16 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2012, 06:27:28 AM »

That one second form the right is the kind of thing I was looking for, with a gray center.
(is there a difference between grey and gray?)
Anyways, how'd you get it to be red?  Did you just use a pencil tool and color over it or did you use a color-shift?  I'm not sure if I set the satuation all the way down (which means you can't color change) or I left a little for that reason.

EDIT:
How's this?

Took out the MG barrles form the wing, moved to to built-in to the frame itself (look at the F-14, has a 20mm Minigun built into the hull) on each side, gave it a much better paint job. :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:20:10 PM by The Soldier »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 482