Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2222885 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6765 on: April 26, 2017, 03:07:49 AM »

Frigate-sized combat freighter. Crafted from a strong base of fresh Drover and a generous sprinkling of Centurion, with just a hint of Brawler.  ;D

Spoiler

[close]

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: April 26, 2017, 03:28:16 AM »

Wait, it has as many weapons as a Wayfarer AND a flight deck????

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:14 AM »

Wait, it has as many weapons as a Wayfarer AND a flight deck????

Sure, why not? ;) I never said I was making this for any particular mod, so I wasn't worrying about balance. Just mucking around really.

It's a frigate, so it would probably be a built-in fighter wing anyway. Any idea what kind of fighter it might use?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: April 26, 2017, 08:53:59 AM »

It's a good sprite, i think it could get some hangar lightning on the front too, as it seems like the other side of that rear launch bay. I don't think it's too strong either. With crappy weapon arcs, limited cargo space and a weak built-in fighter (mining drone?), that thing could definitely works.

Golliourus, i'm really liking the style of those drawings and i'd like to see more of this. If you're planning to attempt an actual sprite though, i recommend you to start with something relatively small, no bigger than destroyer size. Spriting become exponentially trickier the bigger your ship.

Golliourus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: April 26, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »

Golliourus, i'm really liking the style of those drawings and i'd like to see more of this. If you're planning to attempt an actual sprite though, i recommend you to start with something relatively small, no bigger than destroyer size. Spriting become exponentially trickier the bigger your ship.
Thank you very much, I'll keep that in mind. And I will make more in the future, though it'll be a somewhat slow process. I'm glad you like it!
Do you intend to turn them into sprites?
Despite my complete lack of experience in spriting, I will definitely try. Needless to say, it's going to be a while until I'm good at it. I have a feeling it's going to be much more difficult than it looks though, so I'll follow Helmut's advice. If all else fails, I'll try to render a 3D replica like RavenDarke did.

*insert I Have A Dream speech*

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: April 26, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »

It's a good sprite, i think it could get some hangar lightning on the front too, as it seems like the other side of that rear launch bay. I don't think it's too strong either. With crappy weapon arcs, limited cargo space and a weak built-in fighter (mining drone?), that thing could definitely works.

Ooh, I get what you mean about the additional hangar lighting. That would look much slicker.

Weapon arcs were going to be broadside-ish anyway, but I can further narrow them if that balances it better.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:10 PM »

Inspired by the new reliance on D-class, I decided to go back to my 'Pirate Mining Co.' faction idea. Specifically, using ships that look more like a vague collection of scrap and asteroid plating. These ships are dirt cheap to buy and maintain, and have chunky hull (with reinforced hull hullmod inbuilt) but low armour, are really slow (both in combat and on the campaign layer), no shields, and have pretty shoddy firing arcs. Good if you want to save supplies and fuel, but bad if you actually want to use them in combat.

The one on the left is going to be a junkier, crappier version of the Boar (alternatively, a really crappy version of the medusa), except with good cargo capacity. The one on the right is somewhere between a tarsus in armament and a buffalo in cargo capacity, except worse than it sounds.

Thoughts?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: April 27, 2017, 12:42:07 AM »

@HELMUT A little better?

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: April 27, 2017, 05:26:37 AM »

I really like those Alfonzo. I like more variety for the Independants and Pirates, even if the player doesn't end up using those sorts of ships much.

D00D

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: April 29, 2017, 04:50:30 AM »

Hi, I'm working on porting over some of my sprites from BSF.

In the middle, I finished my Bomber (With payload) and Very Heavy Fighter, they are a faction based on holding ground and striking with heavily armored fighters and bombers so they are slightly bigger then the biggest fighter. Costs a ton at 25 and 20 OP though.

The Destroyer at the top is 30% finished, I'm stuck in a bit of rut on adapting the highly detailed BSF sprites to Starsector and am still deciding on the loadout. I'm more interested in what's used to do the post-processing on most modder's sprites, I assume AA is the obvious answer but anything else that could help?

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: April 29, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »

Wellp, I think I just tricked myself into redoing the SRA's paint job:

Spoiler
Old Style          -vs-        New Hotness
[close]

Also I guess I prepped the Sargasso to recieve vectored thrusters, w/e.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:15:26 PM by MShadowy »

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: April 29, 2017, 12:20:41 PM »

I prefer the paintjob of the New Hotness, but also the shade of green used in Old Style.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: April 29, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

Current plan is have one or the other be available as a downloadable alternate skin pack but I'm not yet decided on which one.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: April 29, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »

Current plan is have one or the other be available as a downloadable alternate skin pack but I'm not yet decided on which one.

That's a great way to do it. I was about to say, I love both liveries, and genuinely can't decide which one I like better... Personally, I'd keep the old livery in the mod by default and have the new one as a downloadable optional extra.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: April 30, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »

With the skin system, can't you like, have both?
Pages: 1 ... 450 451 [452] 453 454 ... 482