Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2211083 times)

Romeo_One

• Captain
  • "Let me do the german dance for you..."
    • View Profile
    • Rejection - The Fight for Unity
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6585 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »

Little update and a new one.

Spoiler
Merchant Man

Bulk Freighter[
[close]

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: March 04, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »

Doin some work on a ship; Skadi-class fleet carrier, inspired by the upcoming fighter changes.  Still in a very early stage, though the original sketch was from some months ago, as I ended up stalled on the sprite work for a bit.

Still quite rough, she requires a good deal of tightening up on the details and color correction work. The shape is pretty obviously inspired by a Manta ray; another inspiration was giving her Battlestar like launch bays on the front which would shoot fighters out of them at high speed, but no idea if that's doable.

E: Man, your style is giving a pretty nice feel Romeo,has a kinda classy old school shooter vibe with just enough modernization (in the form of the glowy bridges, etc) to look stylish.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:56:25 PM by MShadowy »

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: March 04, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »

Doin some work on a ship; Skadi-class fleet carrier, inspired by the upcoming fighter changes.  Still in a very early stage, though the original sketch was from some months ago, as I ended up stalled on the sprite work for a bit.

Still quite rough, she requires a good deal of tightening up on the details and color correction work. The shape is pretty obviously inspired by a Manta ray; another inspiration was giving her Battlestar like launch bays on the front which would shoot fighters out of them at high speed, but no idea if that's doable.

E: Man, your style is giving a pretty nice feel Romeo,has a kinda classy old school shooter vibe with just enough modernization (in the form of the glowy bridges, etc) to look stylish.

Battleray Mantastar? This looks damn good for an early sketch from back then.

I hope those Battlestar bays are possible, at least one faction needs this type of functioning launch bay  ;)
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: March 05, 2017, 06:42:15 PM »

Since I've been working on a mod for a week or three now, and had some interesting feedback already on my sprite work, I thought I'd show another more recent ship sprite here and get some thoughts. Bear in mind very little is finalized here, although the description comes straight from the mod (cough cough spoilers cough). Still working on lighting things appropriately, but this one is much better than my first attempts.

Spoiler

Hydra-class Tanker

"The Hydra Fuel and Hazardous Chemical Tanker is the flagship of Frontier Industrial's fluid transport solutions. It features a strong hull and shield, varied defensive weapons and a flux-handling core that is almost on a par with some combat destroyers. Due to its abilities in a firefight, the Hydra is rarely available on public markets, and is instead primarily sold to the military and private organizations."

[close]

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: March 05, 2017, 08:14:20 PM »

I'm not sure on if it is intentional or not, but the fuel cells/tanks are almost pink. Perhaps readjust the colors to look closer to the normal fuel tanks. The fact you mention hazardous materials transport may be a justification for the different color, but it's ultimately your call.

Also, the mod SCY has a ship called the Hydra. You may want to change it if it will be a Nexerelin capable mod.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: March 05, 2017, 10:21:56 PM »

I'm not sure on if it is intentional or not, but the fuel cells/tanks are almost pink. Perhaps readjust the colors to look closer to the normal fuel tanks. The fact you mention hazardous materials transport may be a justification for the different color, but it's ultimately your call.

Think that might be a bad contrast problem. I dabbed the colours directly from the stock Dram. If they're off, it could just be my useless colouring skills. XD

Also, the mod SCY has a ship called the Hydra. You may want to change it if it will be a Nexerelin capable mod.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA I'mnowherenearintelligentenoughtocodeanexelerinmod  :-X

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: March 05, 2017, 10:43:59 PM »

Axle, have you ever considered making your ships via a kitbash and then paintover workflow?

Edit: Like so.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:51:03 PM by MesoTroniK »

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: March 05, 2017, 11:51:44 PM »

AHAHAHAHAHAHA I'mnowherenearintelligentenoughtocodeanexelerinmod  :-X

It's not that difficult really, basically you just need to make sure your mod doesn't crash the game when
Nexerelin is running its sector creation routine and you're good to go for a start.

whatdoesthisbuttondo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: March 05, 2017, 11:57:29 PM »

Some progress on the Wolf refit from earlier, shiny (or not so shiny) new paintjob.

Still needs some detail work and cleanup, but I think the color works quite well
for the intended pirate freelance captain faction.

[attachment deleted by admin]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: March 06, 2017, 12:10:44 AM »

Axle, have you ever considered making your ships via a kitbash and then paintover workflow?

Nope. Not a kitbash person. I like my stuff to be original. Although I have been tempted...

Also, I get what you're doing in that GIF there (thanks for that, pictures explain stuff so much better than words!) but I'm still not sure what "paintover workflow" means. Query?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:13:18 AM by AxleMC131 »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: March 06, 2017, 12:53:46 AM »

You make a kitbash, and then you paintover it using the kibash as a general guide to lighting and color sampling etc.

Kitbash + Paintover = Original Sprite

Just like that .gif, and it will make your life and producing good results for sprites 100x easier.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: March 06, 2017, 12:58:59 AM »

You make a kitbash, and then you paintover it using the kibash as a general guide to lighting and color sampling etc.

Kitbash + Paintover = Original Sprite

Just like that .gif, and it will make your life and producing good results for sprites 100x easier.

Ehh. My outline, structure, lighting and colouring methods are extremely unique. I doubt that system would work well for me.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: March 06, 2017, 01:16:00 AM »

You can kitbash a base and create something original on top, that is imo the most efficient workflow to get something that fits the game art style. It is also a very powerful training tool to understand how vanilla sprites work. The trick being that the underlying kitbash is only used as a reference for colors, noise, details, composition and overall to keep an eye on vanilla parts to match them. That huge sprite there? By the end of the process the only vanilla parts left were the bridge and the weapon mounts. Everything else was original stuff painted on top, but it closely matches vanilla. It's the same process I used with several other sprites:

Only the engines are visibly partially
repainted vanilla sprites, but the
whole spine section used to be kitbash.

This one is a bit closer from its kitbash
source yet still 4/5th original.

We are not talking about making sprites solely from parts picked here and there: there is no limit to the amount of paint-over you can do on top of a kitbash, so there is no reason to not make that first blockout from vanilla ships. Its also far easier to work from a canvas that isn't empty.

Your "outline, structure, lighting and colouring" are indeed unique, and they might not fit that well into the game because of that. If you want to closely match the original game that is, otherwise forget everything I said.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: March 06, 2017, 02:08:41 AM »

Well, I suppose it's a valid method. And I can't argue with a professional mod creator like Tartiflette, haha! XD I might try to give it a go, but I'm still a beginner at spriting and a lot of the time I'm trying to work to A) something I've drawn on paper; B) a theme I'm continuing in terms of structure and design; or both. I think it'll be a while before I'm confident enough in my ability to be consistent across multiple sprites to start using methods like this. I'll be sure to keep it noted of course.

Sorry if I came across a little resentful of the method MesoTroniK.  :P Definitely didn't mean to.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: March 06, 2017, 02:31:24 AM »

One does not prevent the other, I'm also usually starting from either a thumbnail I drew in the subway or some other sketch that I cut out and then fill up with kitbashed parts. Additionally once you get one ship you are happy with, you can kitbash from it too and ensure your sprites are consistent.

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 482