Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2222824 times)

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6375 on: August 29, 2016, 08:11:22 AM »

The lighting and general design looks great. However it could use a lot more greebles on the armor to match the SS art style. As of right now its ridiculously clean and smooth look looks rather...cartoony.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: August 30, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »

Meanwhile, I've been working on a ship that'll help support my 'racecar' faction fleet. In the process of making it...things happened. Behold my scattered progress:

Spoiler

[close]

So the fleet, thus far, looks kind of like this:

Spoiler

[close]

Thoughts?

Dude, that, looks, awesome. I like the colors and while yes, a bit cartoonish. It has good design and it's fun to see your design process... Mine, is a little more in the works and on the fly. Though I did put a Gif together of how I built a ship before. But... to add to this pile of pixles.

This is NOT sprite design, however it's something a coworker asked me to do. He wanted me to do a dragon tattoo for him. I've been procastinating though and not gotten to it. Now, I;ve finally pulled my crap together and gotten to it! What's your thoughts oh grand community?

Spoiler

[close]

I'm not too sure on the claws of the dragon, but, I'll push on and touch on it later after I've finished the back.

Back finished~!
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:44:37 PM by Azmond »

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: August 31, 2016, 03:42:50 AM »

This is NOT sprite design, however it's something a coworker asked me to do. He wanted me to do a dragon tattoo for him. I've been procastinating though and not gotten to it. Now, I;ve finally pulled my crap together and gotten to it! What's your thoughts oh grand community?

Spoiler

[close]

I'm not too sure on the claws of the dragon, but, I'll push on and touch on it later after I've finished the back.

Back finished~!
Spoiler

[close]

I like the head, and the back musculature is amazing, but I am squiffy on the claws (which seem to be misplaced in reality) and the wings (which seems very, very thin at the base). How is the image going to be constructed? On shoulder to chest or elsewhere?

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: August 31, 2016, 10:27:27 AM »

... SNIP ...
Spoiler

[close]

I like the head, and the back musculature is amazing, but I am squiffy on the claws (which seem to be misplaced in reality) and the wings (which seems very, very thin at the base). How is the image going to be constructed? On shoulder to chest or elsewhere?

Thanks, the head is the proudest bit I have. The wings, it's going to take me a bit to get right. Haven't had to draw wings in such a way... the claws/feet/paws look off because that's the right paw being mirrored without the left and the talons on that same paw are too stubby. I honestly do not like it. I don't hate it, but it's just no good! xD
The construction will be from shoulder (left or right I don't know) and the image actually has a mock-up placement  to fill some of the space. (See the bottom Right corner of the page) The shoulder will have the dragon's head and claws. The back, will have the back of the dragon.

I actually haven't drawn like that in a while really. Most times it's been in a Traditional medium. Marker, Ink, Ball-point pen, and I've usually stuck with just ink. For some reason I love to play with ink.
Spoiler

[close]
So, considering I nailed the head and a few other things; I'm quiet happy regardless. Going to get some food in my gut though and tackle it again today.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:57:03 PM by Azmond »

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: September 01, 2016, 04:07:35 AM »

So, considering I nailed the head and a few other things; I'm quiet happy regardless. Going to get some food in my gut though and tackle it again today.

It's going to be a pain in the neck to get the claw right if it's on the edge of the shoulder, not to mention the region where it's going to be most likely seen from. Still, it's a pretty good design; I envy how a tattoo artist can do a coherent piece on curved surfaces.

In other news; does this kind of greebling help to reduce the 'cartoony' feel from the armour?

Spoiler
[close]

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: September 01, 2016, 06:57:19 AM »

New part of my sprite work.

And bonuses:
Capital class ship sketch.
Spoiler
[close]
Dragonbot for portrait.
Spoiler
[close]

P.S. All my sprite or pic are free for use.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 07:01:35 AM by DrakonST »
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: September 01, 2016, 07:36:22 AM »

In other news; does this kind of greebling help to reduce the 'cartoony' feel from the armour?

Spoiler
[close]

Much better. The armor lines may possibly be a bit too obvious though, the ones on Tartiflette's race-car are very subtle in comparison. Some opacity tweaks might yield better results i think.

DrakonST, not as impressive as your first "marble" cruiser, sadly. You're definitely better at drawing smooth armor plates than greebles. On another note, you should post your "free" sprites on the Spiral arms thread, so they don't get lost here.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1131.540

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: September 01, 2016, 07:53:52 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

Much better. The armor lines may possibly be a bit too obvious though, the ones on Tartiflette's race-car are very subtle in comparison. Some opacity tweaks might yield better results i think.

DrakonST, not as impressive as your first "marble" cruiser, sadly. You're definitely better at drawing smooth armor plates than greebles. On another note, you should post your "free" sprites on the Spiral arms thread, so they don't get lost here.

I know that it not especially impresses. But. Most interestingly ahead. 4 destroyers, 3 cruisers and 4 battleships for this fraction.
 I will transfer sprites to the link specified by you.
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: September 01, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

You advised to draw approximately so?

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: September 03, 2016, 12:02:21 AM »

@DrakonST Those guns are VERY close together. You're gonna get some horrendous overlap.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: September 03, 2016, 12:40:09 AM »

@DrakonST Those guns are VERY close together. You're gonna get some horrendous overlap.
I have already corrected it.

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: September 05, 2016, 05:29:16 AM »

3 new destroyers and the updated old destroyer.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: September 05, 2016, 05:34:01 AM »

3 new destroyers and the updated old destroyer.

Wow, pointy.

Good job. They seem vunerable from the sides while having very strong forward facing firepower.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

AUTOMATIC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: September 07, 2016, 04:55:30 AM »

Here are my ships.

The theme is they are premium class civilian ships repurposed for combat. With the amount of engines slapped on they have higher top speed than normal ships of same size but horrible deceleration. The planet geared for production of those civilian ship is in the sector because of tax evasion reasons.

[attachment deleted by admin]

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: September 07, 2016, 05:09:53 AM »

Very nice and clean, but the armour needs to be greebled / dirtied a teeny bit / broken up with paint or patterns to fit in with the rest of the ships. Otherwise they're pretty boats.
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 482