Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210833 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6225 on: April 15, 2016, 10:25:14 PM »

I had a nice sit-down to look at my rendering setup I was messing with last year, and this popped out.  No real time for proper art atm but hey, I'll take it.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: April 16, 2016, 06:59:01 PM »

This one :)
BUT i thing ship is a bit TOO long, smaller ships will have trouble hitting it

I think Alex changed how collisions worked at some point (more of an ovale collision radius than a circle), making long ships easier to hit. Can't find it in the patch notes though.
Yup. So ships that can sort of fit in an ellipse work - you still want to avoid big voids in the model, afaik.

Those ships look pretty nice, very WH.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: April 16, 2016, 07:11:54 PM »

I was configuring GIMP today and ended up throwing together this little gunship.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: April 16, 2016, 08:08:55 PM »

Console Commands ShowBounds command (though I added that red line).

White circle is collision radius, teal circle is shield radius, red ellipse is the elliptical targeting radius which is what the AI uses these days to decide when to fire or not.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:42:14 AM by MesoTroniK »

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: April 16, 2016, 08:45:26 PM »

White circle is shield radius, teal circle is collision radius, red ellipse is the elliptical targeting radius which is what the AI uses these days to decide when to fire or not.

So long ships are now more viable? Up to a point anyway.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: April 16, 2016, 09:13:08 PM »

So long ships are now more viable? Up to a point anyway.

Yes, but extreme cases are still not good especially hourglass type shapes.

Also extremely narrow vessels can still mess with the AI somewhat in regards to it exchanging fire with a more normal shaped ships in a broadside engagement as the narrow one would have an advantage with the fact that the effective range of the other ship is less if the narrow one has its shields up.

Basically, I would still recommend avoiding cases more extreme than the Odyssey and similar vanilla ships.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: April 17, 2016, 09:13:55 AM »

White circle is collision radius, teal circle is shield radius, red ellipse is the elliptical targeting radius which is what the AI uses these days to decide when to fire or not.

Spoiler
[close]
WOW  :D thanks for the effort MesoTroniK
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Peace_Destroyer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: April 18, 2016, 08:17:38 PM »

I'm working on some portraits, if anybody could give me some feedback it would be helpful. Trying to match the vanilla artstyle is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

Spoiler

download: Here
[close]

I was thinking about doing some ships but between getting things in game, and balancing them it seems pretty overwhelming right now.
 Silhouette and colors taken from the original sprite, but everything else is pretty much drawn by hand. I'd like to see what peoples' thoughts are on that too. 

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: April 18, 2016, 09:54:22 PM »

On the portraits, other than a few areas where I think your blacklining might be improved, it's quite good and it's not too far off of David's loose, brushy style.

On the ship, there are a lot of things to say, but first, a complement:  it's nice to see a solidly old-skool feel like that executed cleanly.

That said, critique:
Spoiler
1.  The lighting is inconsistent both with Vanilla (where it's vaguely overhead but forward a little bit) and internally to the piece; the "crystal" isn't lit like the rest of the ship, which creates a flat, unrealistic feel.
2.  It's not quite noisy enough, detailed enough or dirty enough.  It doesn't have that lived-in look that helps sell the SS style.
3.  It doesn't feel functional yet; right now it's just some greebles that don't appear to point at function; try and think through the functional whole and break down what needs to be present to feel convincing.
4.  It lacks the micro-details that establish scale really clearly; it feels like it could be a fighter, a cruiser, or anything in between.  Little pixel lights alone help a lot, by establishing a scalar relationship.

Anyhow, I hope none of this sounds too harsh; I get the impression that you're an experienced enough artist to take some real critique and are confident enough in your skills to take this as it's meant, as some information on why a piece didn't work, rather than tearing you down. 

I really want to see your work continue to grow and improve here and I really see a lot of depth here overall.  I also think that if you take the brushy style you used on the portraits and apply it to ship paintings, you'll come very close to David's style and we'll all be pretty amazed by what you do here, frankly!
[close]
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: April 19, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »

This one :)
BUT i thing ship is a bit TOO long, smaller ships will have trouble hitting it

I think Alex changed how collisions worked at some point (more of an ovale collision radius than a circle), making long ships easier to hit. Can't find it in the patch notes though.

On a side note, i felt like screwing around with some of my oldest sprites.

(welcome to greeble city)

Not for uses though, just wanted to experiment.

My goodness... Those ships look absolutely fantastic.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: April 19, 2016, 05:39:02 PM »

I'm working on some portraits, if anybody could give me some feedback it would be helpful. Trying to match the vanilla artstyle is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

Spoiler

download: Here
[close]

I was thinking about doing some ships but between getting things in game, and balancing them it seems pretty overwhelming right now.
 Silhouette and colors taken from the original sprite, but everything else is pretty much drawn by hand. I'd like to see what peoples' thoughts are on that too. 

good job
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: April 22, 2016, 10:40:37 AM »

How do I make my sprites look less dull/fit more into starsector?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:54:21 AM by Volken »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: April 22, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »

Cool ship :)

I would say ... don't be afraid to be bold with bringing out form using light and shadow. Try and keep some colour in the shadows / lightness to avoid pure greys.

The above is just a quick 3 minute pass over with a lasso / airbrush to try and make it 'pop' a bit more - but it could afford another few notches up - and still wouldn't be overdone.

Get a layer, and experiment with making the form come out. Once you think you have got it right - duplicate the shading layer. Be bold :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: April 22, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

That does look much better, thanks! I guess my weakness is not knowing photoshop well enough - I have concepts in my mind which I don't know how properly implement. But that ofcourse doesn't stop me from trying :)

Peace_Destroyer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: April 22, 2016, 05:52:07 PM »

On the portraits, other than a few areas where I think your blacklining might be improved, it's quite good and it's not too far off of David's loose, brushy style.

On the ship, there are a lot of things to say, but first, a complement:  it's nice to see a solidly old-skool feel like that executed cleanly.

That said, critique:

Thanks a lot for the feedback, for the ship sprite I am literally just copying a Big Core sprite from the arcade version of Gradius, changing everything to single flat colors, then re-drawing everything using that as a guide. I'll likely be sticking to portraits for the time being, adding in a ship seems really overwhelming.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 482