Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2223180 times)

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #5745 on: October 11, 2015, 10:19:08 PM »

Psiyon: AWesome ship!  I might have to "steal" the way you have the colors there. :)

as for you D00D....

Good god that is awesome to watch, but it'd be a nightmare in practice potentially LOL~!

D00D

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: October 11, 2015, 10:27:25 PM »

I have the original files for the transforming ship but is that possible ingame? Having a gif for a ship sprite as well as a changing hitbox. Weapon mounts could be hidden underneath the ship so it shouldn't be that bad.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: October 11, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »

Also, is there a way to incorporate gifs ships? I have some good transformers that I would like to port over.
Transformable ships are hack-ish at best and very complicated to implement. The issue here is that you can't easily change the collision bounds of the ship on the fly, meaning if you change the silhouette of the ship, the animated part would be decorative animated weapons "transparent" to projectiles. You can cheat some mobile parts using Twig-lib like I did with my Nemean Lion in Scy; but it's simple, and has issues too like colliding with projectiles but not with other ships and asteroids and slightly messing up PD weapons. At very small scale though you can just ignore the wrongly positioned bounds but then again there are issues with the damage decals showing on top.

Long story short, it kinda can be hacked in, but there will be a lot of limitations and glitches, and it's a hell of a lot of work.

As for Starsectoring your sprite, you should read the Blackrock thread from the beginning: Cycerin started his faction from BSF sprites but entirely redid them over time to match this game.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:52:57 PM by Tartiflette »

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: October 14, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »

I did my first kit bash of a tarsus from kitbash database, would like critique:

Sorry if its a bit low res.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 12:47:24 PM by gruberscomplete »
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: October 14, 2015, 10:26:06 PM »

Carolina-class Fleet Command Ship

Yay done. (Specifically, good-enough-for-a-demo done)

I like how this one turned out. This is actually the first (large, anyway) ship I've painted 100% from scratch, so I'm really glad my technique can produce good results (which is somewhat similar to David's). Also having a Cintiq helps. A lot.

So anyway yeah, that's the first test ship for Archangel Stellar Hardware. I've got 3 more style-test ships for the other corporations to paint up, I'll post some WIPs when I start the next one. If anyone is interested in the technique (or maybe even me streaming me making one of these), ask away.

Sneak peek at some of the potential monstrosities that will eventually be made: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71512473/images/DroneControllerConcepts.jpg

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: October 15, 2015, 03:44:59 AM »

This looks surprisingly down to earth compared to its alien looking friends.

But yeah, it's looking good. It doesn't seems very armed though, i can only see two small mounts.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: October 15, 2015, 04:03:57 AM »

Some interesting looking ships in there, but I fear those spikes will become a liability when it's comes to armor strengh.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: October 15, 2015, 09:43:56 AM »

Derp, I forgot to mention that those ships aren't actually being made for Starsector--which I guess probably makes you ask "Why the hell are you posting them, then?" Mainly because A: Maybe I'll give someone a good idea or inspire them to do something different with their designs, and B: Because this is the really only relevant place I can show some off my work and have people actually see it; tidbits of feedback are always nice XD
But yeah hopefully that clears things up. Hey, one day, when my game is closer to being done, I might throw together a kitbash parts database from all my ships for you guys--ain't nothing better than more bits to 'bash with.

This looks surprisingly down to earth compared to its alien looking friends.

But yeah, it's looking good. It doesn't seems very armed though, i can only see two small mounts.
Thanks! "Down-to-earth" is definitely the idea for all the non-player-faction ships. Being 450 years in the future, technology has advanced significantly, but not /too/ significantly, so you'll still see things like rotating rings for gravity. For the player's faction, their ships are less of a meticulously-engineered and designed vessel, but rather an assemblage of necessary parts. Those giant ships in that link are ideas for the Drone Controller, which is the player's most integral ship, and is responsible for beaming ungodly amounts of nanites down to population centers, with the end goal of mind-controlling entire planets. So naturally, their designs needed some inhumanity because the player's job is stripping away free will, perhaps the most important part of what makes us human.

Armament-wise, in my game, individual weapons aren't actually visible, which removes the big burden of intelligently placing weapon slots and thinking about it only from a top-down perspective. The ship is actually very well armed with a lot of missile and long-range standoff/support weapons.

Some interesting looking ships in there, but I fear those spikes will become a liability when it's comes to armor strengh.
Indeed, for their size (Think like, 3 Onslaughts strapped together), they definitely won't be able to take the beating you'd expect them to. They're not weak by any means, but if the player doesn't keep it properly defended, it will definitely be ganged up on and killed by hostile fleets.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: October 15, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »

Made another one:

it is a kitbash from kitbash database, the ship in top left.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 12:31:55 PM by gruberscomplete »
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: October 16, 2015, 06:01:16 AM »

Lastest version of my ridiculous Maelstrom Cannon. So far I like it but it gives me the feeling more detailing wouldn't hurt.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: October 16, 2015, 06:27:03 AM »

If by more details you mean more texture then yes it could use some of that. Dirt, scratches, pait, burn marks, oil... There is also the small issue that all the parts are equally shinny. Maybe you could try to have some duller than others.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: October 16, 2015, 05:24:44 PM »

I am using photoshop to make my ship sprites. However, the last one I made is "jaggy." In its left hand it has 3 rings, but if you look closely, they have holes in them. Is there a way to make the loop "continuous?"

And I was thinking of putting a big hyperspace portal in the center of the ship, though that is a moving sprite.

PS. with the update coming up, will it drastically change the way to make a mod?

I also made another ship:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:52:32 PM by gruberscomplete »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #5757 on: October 16, 2015, 08:13:08 PM »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: October 16, 2015, 08:18:16 PM »

What is going on here? ???

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: October 16, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »

I know you're not supposed to explain the joke, but:
Spoiler
DR is comparing the colors and composition of the ship to Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 482