Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2225010 times)

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #5730 on: October 04, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »

Some ships variants.

I honestly like the black color scheme better than the white for Templar, I think you should make the teal details glowing orange though, as teal does not go so well with black imo. Maybe also add some gold and a pentagram somewhere for good measure. :)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: October 04, 2015, 12:28:21 PM »

Some ships variants.
I honestly like the black color scheme better than the white for Templar, I think you should make the teal details glowing orange though, as teal does not go so well with black imo. Maybe also add some gold and a pentagram somewhere for good measure. :)

Spriting in pure black is so fluxing hard though. I'm sure there's some parts where the lighting is screwed.

Orange stripes works surprisingly well, not as Templar-ish tho.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: October 04, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »

I prefer the teal one, the Black+Red+Orange spells "Boo00OOOh00hoohoo, I'm a cartoon villain" too me...

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: October 04, 2015, 01:02:01 PM »

Seconding that the teal one is awesome, and would look great on Templar ships in general; I think it works better than the orange version because the teal balances out the red so nicely.  I also really like that Beholder variant - I'd like to see that off-white/tan and brown paint scheme applies to some other high-tech ships.

Someone above mentioned adding gold; I don't think that particular sprite needs any new colors, but gold-on-black is pretty much my all-time favorite color scheme, and I bet some ships would look pretty boss in it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:31:51 PM by Adraius »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: October 04, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »

While the black is nice, I feel the current Templar color scheme fits the faction better.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: October 04, 2015, 03:10:06 PM »

That midline Beholder is hawt!  I really like the paint job on it.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: October 05, 2015, 07:14:39 AM »

While the black is nice, I feel the current Templar color scheme fits the faction better.

It's definitely not a replacement. But maybe DR will find a use for the black one for his new bounty system?

That midline Beholder is hawt!  I really like the paint job on it.

You have no idea how hard i struggled to find a decent paintjob for it. I almost posted the previous unicorn rainbow vomit paintjob but decided to go for something more sober.

Also, as i learned some new tricks to sprite in black and white, i just tried something with the AI war sprites.

old                                                                        new

Edit: alternatively :

Spoiler

It glow in the dark!
[close]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 07:47:02 AM by HELMUT »

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: October 05, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »

I think we need to look at those on a black (e.g. space-like) background.  Right now I have no idea if those will look good or terrible in-game. =P

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: October 05, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »

Orange stripes works surprisingly well, not as Templar-ish tho.

I, I touched your sprite...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:36:09 PM by Zudgemud »

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: October 07, 2015, 08:19:09 AM »

I'm back once again with some new sprite designs. They're (very slowly) starting to look half decent >_>

Pchela - Alfa

OLD (They are from different points so they look a bit different):
Spoiler

[close]

As always, what should i do differently? Moar greebles? Colours? I've tried real hard to imitate the style of vanilla ships but it's still not great.  ;D

EDIT: Gawd those massive sprites put mine to shame ahahaha
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:30:57 AM by CrazyDave »
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5740 on: October 07, 2015, 10:31:47 AM »

I may be strange, but I actually like the old ones better. Its the color variety more than anything else - your new ships seem to be a single, mostly grey color, which isn't very interesting to me. The '3d' veel of the new Alfa is nice though.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: October 07, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »

I suggest increasing the contrast between the light (e.g. flat) and dark (e.g. rounded) sections of the ship, probably by making the light sections a little brighter - it's already a darkish-colored ship so you don't want to lose any detail by deepening the dark end of the scale.

They do feel a little... generic? but I'm not quite sure what to do about that.  I don't think greebles are the answer.

EDIT: Okay, thinking on it more, I think the problem is the lack of any interesting color or visual scheme; The mono-color could work on a ship that has a unique visual shape/feel (ex. I could see an "nuclear submarine in space" ship in that color), and the shape could definitely work if paired with a flashier color scheme (Blackrock Drive Yards's Mantis or Scarab come to mind) - but without either of those things, they come off a bit blah.  See the Beholder ship skin earlier in this thread?  It uses some different-colored detail lines to keep things interesting.  I could see you using white/light blue/light brown/etc. to do something similar - maybe rings/brackets around the weapon mounts, and some marks on the inside/outside of the twin hulls of the right-side ship, for example?

If you want to keep the mono-color blue scheme, the ship on the right reminds me vaguely of the Daedalus from Stargate.  You could add a conning tower/bridge area (the Mantis actually kinda has this) or some sensor struts like the Daedalus has at the front. (huh, now that I look at it, the Scarab uses a bit of this method itself!) Here's a pic that shows off both the sensor struts and the conning tower (towards the rear): the Daedalus.

Applying these things to the roundish ship would be trickier, as there's even less space to work with.  Perhaps if you do go in and increase the contrast, you could also add some detail in and/or darken the two divots/areas just below the far-left and far-right weapon mounts.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 01:01:18 PM by Adraius »

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: October 07, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »

Okee thanks for your comments! here's a colour scheme that i was toying with a while back:

>

It may be a bit overboard but i can see how the colours make a sizable difference. I also tinkered with the contrast and lighting a bit.
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

D00D

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »

Hey there, I was a BSF contributor a long time ago and I stumbled across this game. Thinking of bringing back some of my better creations as a minor faction as well as to contribute to this wonderful community.

So this is the ship I want to convert:

Glowing bits are anti-grav engines so it would look like a skiff in 3D

Aside from ripping out the weapons and replacing them with universal mounts, what else can I do to make it more vanilla looking? I'm thinking off further increasing shadows and depth. There are some doodads like pipes, wirings etc. which I would like to add, is there an easy way/sprite set that I can use?

Also, is there a way to incorporate gifs ships? I have some good transformers that I would like to port over.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: October 11, 2015, 09:38:15 PM »

I've been looking forward to being able to post in this thread again:

Work in progress, I've only got the top 40% of the ship painted up reasonably. Still need to go over the remainder and then do proper shading and misc post work.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 482