Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2223268 times)

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #5535 on: July 31, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »

Another spriting attempt. Support cruiser:

Feedback will be appreciated

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: July 31, 2015, 12:38:42 PM »

Celestis, in all honesty, i was a bit underwhelmed by your previous sprite. This one however is gorgeous! I love everything about it. How did you do it? Hand-drawn? Kitbash? 3D?

Also, seeing Thule's kitbashing from other stuffs motivated me to try some experimentation.

Lighting is completely off but whatever.

Edit : half-baked attempt at fixing it, meh.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:40:25 PM by HELMUT »

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: July 31, 2015, 12:44:18 PM »

Thanks for feedback, HELMUT!
This is not kitbash or 3d, just a 'hand'-drawing. With a graphics tablet, though. Seems I'm getting better with it, because I didn't like my previous ship either...

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: July 31, 2015, 12:46:22 PM »

@Celestis
Quite impressive. I really like all the details and the asymetry.
Your first sprite was not readable imo, this however is quite the opposite, i hope there's coming more ;)

Here's the finished Grimnebulin.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: July 31, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »

@Thule:  That's pretty nice!  I'd like to see a few areas pop a bit better (some edges have lighting that's a little odd, a few minor things) but it's a very very cool design overall and I like the brooding palette :)

@Celestis:  That's very pretty and I like the overall design a lot :)

Critique:
Spoiler
1.  The mass feels very slightly unbalanced.  Moving one of the engines just a bit lower to counter-balance the asymmetry of the front might really help bring it together.  It probably doesn't need to move more than 2-3 pixels, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix up afterwards.
2.  I see a few places where working on the lighting a bit more might bring out the forms better, mainly panel lines and high edges.
3.  Minor:  there are a lot of lights... which is cool and works on this, because it feels nice and big.  For the most part, they're placed very sensibly and look great.  A few, due to their colors, could be white / off-whites and be more effective.  IRL, green / red / Safety Yellow is used for specific purposes on aircraft, ships, etc., so that stands out to me.
[close]

@HELMUT:

Yay, greeble-sausage-robot-surprise!   Fixing that lighting would be way too much like work, lol.  I like it :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: July 31, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »

The Grimnebulin is very cool, feel a bit like your old punk junkers ships. There's some normal turret mounts among the old-tech ones, is it intended? I hope you'll also find some use for the old rainbow version, it was quite unique.

However i'm slightly offended by that triple Hermes bridge thing. C'mon Thule, tell me you just forgot this part !

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: July 31, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »

However i'm slightly offended by that triple Hermes bridge thing. C'mon Thule, tell me you just forgot this part !

Yeah...DAMN, you're good ;)
At first it was a placeholder, and down the line i guess i kind of ignored it somehow.
You have an idea? show me ;P

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: July 31, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »

Need more feedback on this. It somewhat lacks colour variety, but then again, steampunk, ya' know.

Was think of adding sails on the back, or two medium hardpoints on the sides.

Edit: Didn't mention, the grids on the sides blow smoke in game.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:29:54 PM by Lind »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: July 31, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »

Steampunk can mix up some color- black with shine and wrought-iron, coppers and gaudy enamels :) 

That said, hrmm... ideas: 
Spoiler
Jules Verne touches, like some vanes?

Shiplike details, like deliberate ports, rather than tiny windows?  It won't feel SS scale at that point, though; windows are a critical scale reference.

Go full-on Modern Steampunk and reference anime within the style, with some biological touches, like making the "sails" with metal feathers?  It's hard to pull off without ruining it stylistically, but looks cool when it works.

Build a nifty cannon, slightly Orky in feel, mounted spinally or slightly offset? 

Some more obvious functional parts, like some steam tanks, gearing, pistons, old-fashioned vacuum-tube lights with big filaments?

Basically, if you're going for Steampunk, the key is not color so much as functional assets arranged in a pleasing way, with some touches of Victorian filigree here and there; mechanical design that is deliberately Bespoke, rather than the Modern emphasis on making things look very clean and functional :)
[close]
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: July 31, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »

@Thule, hmm, maybe borrowing the Venture bridge just like for the old version? Something like this? Because of the hardpoint on top of it, the bridge should be fairly long to appear even with a weapon on top of it. This is what i did but i probably should have thought a bit more the thing. Perhaps an asymmetrical bridge like the Hound?

@Lind, as Xeno said, a bit more colors would be welcome. Brown/gold/red and even green are colors that usually works fairly well with the Steampunk style. Oh and +1 for the victorian filigree thing. I did this for a couple of ships back then to give them some more "bling", it's fairly easy to do.

Here's my (very quick) attempt. If i had read xeno's post earlier, i would have tried to add some gold filigree on the rear plates.

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: July 31, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »

Steampunk can mix up some color- black with shine and wrought-iron, coppers and gaudy enamels :) 

That said, hrmm... ideas: 
Spoiler
Jules Verne touches, like some vanes?

Shiplike details, like deliberate ports, rather than tiny windows?  It won't feel SS scale at that point, though; windows are a critical scale reference.

Go full-on Modern Steampunk and reference anime within the style, with some biological touches, like making the "sails" with metal feathers?  It's hard to pull off without ruining it stylistically, but looks cool when it works.

Build a nifty cannon, slightly Orky in feel, mounted spinally or slightly offset? 

Some more obvious functional parts, like some steam tanks, gearing, pistons, old-fashioned vacuum-tube lights with big filaments?

Basically, if you're going for Steampunk, the key is not color so much as functional assets arranged in a pleasing way, with some touches of Victorian filigree here and there; mechanical design that is deliberately Bespoke, rather than the Modern emphasis on making things look very clean and functional :)
[close]

That's some great feedback as usual xeno, thanks a lot. You gave me some pretty neat ideas to work with. I especially like the biological reference, it's true, steampunk machines are often animal/insect shaped, perhaps adding more greyish and golden metals will do the trick colour wise.
Then again, it's gonna be an hard game on frigates, given how little space I can work with, probably cruisers and destroyers will work much better.

@Lind, as Xeno said, a bit more colors would be welcome. Brown/gold/red and even green are colors that usually works fairly well with the Steampunk style. Oh and +1 for the victorian filigree thing. I did this for a couple of ships back then to give them some more "bling", it's fairly easy to do.

Here's my (very quick) attempt. If i had read xeno's post earlier, i would have tried to add some gold filigree on the rear plates.

I like what you did with the gold, it sure adds something, visually speaking. I'm 100% adding golden details from now on.

Gotta say I'm not so keen on the red on the back section tho, but then again that's meant to be a sketch, so I see what you're trying to tell me. Perhaps I can add some reddish copper greebling, after all steampunk is basically all about showing what's under the hood.

Thanks a lot for the feedback once again!

On a side note, looking up steampunk stuff is helping a lot.

Edit: I just realyzed. This thing needs more weapons, it's gonna get obliterated as it is right now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:13:32 PM by Lind »

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: July 31, 2015, 08:12:22 PM »

@Lind, thanks for the criticism, it really helped a lot.  ;D

Now time to move on to other projects.
BTW, i can't find any mounts on your steampunk ship, would be awesome to see some custom steampunk mounts on that.
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: August 01, 2015, 12:56:50 AM »

Thanks for critique, @xenoargh, here are some attempts to fix the issues:

Applied more accent on some edges, added a new hull part on the right to compensate mass asymmetry (looks okay now, assuming weapons mounted on hardpoints). But I didn't quite understand the advice about the engine, moving doesn't seem to help...

@Thule, your ship looks awesome, that rust&scratches are so realistic!
But the small central hardpoint right above the bridge doesn't really fit there... In @HELMUT variant too. I would remove it, it doesn't seem to make a big difference for firepower. And I like @HELMUT idea about the asymmetrical bridge.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:30:49 AM by celestis »

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: August 01, 2015, 07:21:14 AM »

Thanks for critique, @xenoargh, here are some attempts to fix the issues:

Applied more accent on some edges, added a new hull part on the right to compensate mass asymmetry (looks okay now, assuming weapons mounted on hardpoints). But I didn't quite understand the advice about the engine, moving doesn't seem to help...

I love it.

It has that nostalgic alien-theme scheme rolling inside my head, saying "Surrender, human. Or I will eat you" kind of afterthought.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: August 01, 2015, 09:07:05 AM »

@Lind, thanks for the criticism, it really helped a lot.  ;D

Now time to move on to other projects.
BTW, i can't find any mounts on your steampunk ship, would be awesome to see some custom steampunk mounts on that.

Aaaaand something leads me to believe my weapon mounts aren't as obvious as I though.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 482