Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2226929 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #4680 on: October 12, 2014, 04:38:54 PM »

@ Kazi, that guy is all like...

"I am going to destroy your ships."

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: October 12, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »

After the terrible battle in the Coral nebula, the Onslaught class HSS Incorruptible managed to get back to the nearest Hegemony base only to discover the damages received were too great for repair. Most of the ship was salvageable but restoring the two arms housing the TPC's would require to effectively cut them off and attach new one. The overall structure would have been be much weaker and the ship was branded non-combat worthy and destined to recycling. Hearing of this, the Black Hole Line company sent an offer for purchasing the demilitarized hull. The Cruise company was seeking to find a second breath by offering more exiting travels close to the most violent stellar phenomenons. The well known sturdiness of the Onslaughts would allow them to make this plan a reality without endangering the life of their passengers.
   The arms and most of the space formerly occupied with weapon was converted in luxurious dining rooms and cabins, pools and tennis court... while the former cramped crew quarters were kept for the new personnel. Another major modification was the removal of two third of the engines: high speed wasn't a requirement and with all the weight gained by removing the armament the main engine was enough. This operation only possible thanks to the high modularity of the core epoch ships allowed to accommodate more storage area and fuel tanks for longer trips.
   The ship was re-branded BHL Titanic VII by the CEO of Black Hole Line, in spite of the opposition of his counselors: the Titanic VI catastrophe was just fading from the collective memory and many employee saw in this name a bad omen. For her's maiden voyage, she is going to offer her passenger an incredible spot to observe a rogue giant plunge into a white dwarf. The ticket have been all sold the first week.
Spoiler
[close]

BHL Titanic VII

and the original unpainted one:
Spoiler
[close]

very nice paint job!
Fleet construction in progress.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: October 13, 2014, 04:39:05 AM »

In cycle 182, Tri-Tachion engineer Mark Stanlor discovered a way to fine tune shields emitters so that they could filter dangerous radiations while letting the light pass through. This could finally allow space culture to become a viable solution for non terraformed worlds by preventing the degeneration of the crops.

At that time, a bottleneck in Paragon class power-plants production left several unfinished hulls taking space dust in shipyards. Nobody know exactly how he managed to get several execs to support his project, but Mark was allowed to buy one of those for one symbolic credit. He then sold back the fortress shield emitter to finance a general reconversion of this hull into a massive mobile space farm. Using several loopholes in private armed ship legislation, he managed to keep 2 of the large turrets mounts, but the rest was removed to accommodate a vast flight deck for shuttle loading. The large central space was floored, closed by a dome on each side, covered with earth, watered, fertilized and connected to a massive environmental system to keep the conditions perfect for the cultures.

The domes had their own shield system tuned for filtering radiation, but in case of an attack or an asteroid shower, Mark wanted to be able to deploy a normal combat shield. The problem was, both couldn't be activated at the same time. As close to a sun as the ship was expected to sit, the few seconds of exposition during combat shield raising would suffice to burn the crops to a crisp. To avoid that he managed to create a jump-start system that would allow an the shield to raise almost instantly, at the cost of large flux production.

The ship was named Demeter and launched in 185 for it's test flight. Thanks to it's on-board genetic labs and the ideal conditions for growth, the first harvest occurred 2 months later. It was a tremendous success, the fruits and vegetables where sold in a mater of hours to the greatest restaurants and chefs for more than 10 times their price. That's when Mark revealed his true objective: having proved the viability of the concept, the ship was now for all intents and purpose his! And the sudden surge in his supportive execs wealth raised suspicion on how he managed to negotiate such a generous contract. Then, instead of selling rights to build other farm ships, he jealously kept his prize and now sell high quality product to the most luxurious establishments. in the sector.

Spoiler
[close]

As it had been pointed out, I didn't consciously took inspiration from this but I can't deny a resemblance...

[EDIT]
This is the previous version without the two secondary greenhouses, but I'm not sure witch one I prefer...
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:25:41 AM by Tartiflette »

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4683 on: October 13, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

I love how you make the details on this ship... and oh! A space football/soccer stadium!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: October 13, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »

I love how you make the details on this ship... and oh! A space football/soccer stadium!
At first I though about making a ultra luxurious vacation center, with beaches, sun and an incredible spacey view 24/7... But it would have been a bit redundant with the Titanic VII.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4685 on: October 13, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »

At first I though about making a ultra luxurious vacation center, with beaches, sun and an incredible spacey view 24/7... But it would have been a bit redundant with the Titanic VII.

Doesn't match the starsector lore I used to know. I dint know they still have the resources to build such luxury space cruise liner.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: October 13, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »

On the contrary! Given the poverty and problems of the sector, I'm sure there is a small elite that makes moonload of cash exploiting people (just look how it's going in pretty much every countries here). Besides it's a whole sector, a dozen of systems said Alex, even if the majority is disgustingly poor, by it's sheer size it represent a richness an order of magnitude above what we could say for Earth. They can still fly kilometer long battleships, you bet there would be someone to pay for a luxurious cruise! But this is off topic and I'm sure Alex would gladly answer that in the Lore thread.

Btw I uploaded another version of the Demeter...

>Not naming it the Errant Venture
Interesting reading, very fitting indeed. I love how the Starwars universe becomes rich and interesting as soon as you look farther than the movies.

very nice paint job!
Thanks but I'm not satisfied at all myself, not when I see this kind of repainting.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:38:52 AM by Tartiflette »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: October 13, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »

Thaago,

The arrow looks a bit flat at the moment... I would give it a slightly stronger gradient of shading (don't go to black though). ((yay for nitpickyness))

Next on the Tackle, it is difficult to see which part of the ship is higher than the other (The CIC section or the "Arms") This is becuse the plating just behind the CIC ends abruptly at what looks like underside-internals of the arm... Maybe extend the plates a bit? or add a bit of shadowing there?

Keep it up, they look a lot better now, the shading looks great directionally.

Thanks for the feedback! For the Arrow, do you think just upping the contrast slightly will do the job? I'm not sure I know what you're getting at.

I see what you mean with the Tackle - I also just saw a problem where it looks like the very forward plates (which I wanted to be the very top) look like their tucked under the bits near the CIC... Whoops!

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: October 13, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! For the Arrow, do you think just upping the contrast slightly will do the job? I'm not sure I know what you're getting at.

I see what you mean with the Tackle - I also just saw a problem where it looks like the very forward plates (which I wanted to be the very top) look like their tucked under the bits near the CIC... Whoops!

Be careful just doing contrast changes, it sacrifices your midtones to add to the low and high tones. Instead just add some shading, maybe one or two more layers at most... if you want I can work over a section in demonstration. (only if you want to, I don't want to intrude)

I'm looking forward to your addition to the sector!
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »

Be careful just doing contrast changes, it sacrifices your midtones to add to the low and high tones. Instead just add some shading, maybe one or two more layers at most... if you want I can work over a section in demonstration. (only if you want to, I don't want to intrude)

I'm looking forward to your addition to the sector!

How does this look? I ended up doing it by hand as I couldn't find any straight change with b/c that I liked.

I think I've made the highlights on the very forward plating too bright.

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: October 13, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »

How does this look? I ended up doing it by hand as I couldn't find any straight change with b/c that I liked.

I think I've made the highlights on the very forward plating too bright.

By hand is good, I was hoping you would :).

It looks much better shading-wise. The highlight on the front section is not too bright. If you add some to the bigger "wings" it may make the front end less like it is sticking upward...

Good job! more by-hand work por favor :)
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: October 13, 2014, 07:13:14 PM »

Tartiflette, really loving those civilian versions of the three Capitals.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: October 14, 2014, 01:47:39 AM »

Small Faces

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: October 14, 2014, 04:18:45 AM »

@mendonca
Awesome!

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #4694 on: October 14, 2014, 06:16:40 AM »

Loving the beaked helmets. Looks odd and funny.
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 482