Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2222642 times)

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #4515 on: September 14, 2014, 06:48:31 PM »

Yup, this will be the fighter/drone for it, just not so sure i like how the actual size look...
starsector mod new ship: http://youtu.be/OzGOsYWxk8k

Its very effective against fighter and not so against anything larger as i would like to but then probably the main ship would need some sort of measure to stay alive when facing onslaught.... Or simply cant and requires other capital ship in the fleet, this is a colony/freightliner ship after all.

but I do got an idea of making the front part of the gravity wheel section into a giant siege artillery with every other thing constant. pretty cool if I can get the animation done right now thinking of it :)

The lore is just my what currently thinking, but please do comment on visual :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:19:16 PM by maximilianyuen »
Fleet construction in progress.

xlandar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: September 14, 2014, 11:11:52 PM »

Alright, i've been making a ship from scratch following ORMtnMan's tutorial, it's not complete yet, but i think it's been coming along pretty well.

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:38 AM »

Alright, i've been making a ship from scratch following ORMtnMan's tutorial, it's not complete yet, but i think it's been coming along pretty well.

mmm looks quite nice, but im not too sure about the ship integrity. It doesnt really seem as though it could take all that much punishment, but that's just me :)
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: September 15, 2014, 05:19:46 AM »

I think the holes are weapon mount?

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: September 15, 2014, 06:06:33 AM »

CrazyDave, I would point you to the Normandy SR2 (Mass Effect Series) and the Y-Wing (Star Wars) for fragile looking ships that are both strong AND awesome ;)

You could also say the same thing about most of the ships in Star Trek, where the engine and saucer sections are tenuously (looking) attached to the body of the ship.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Yes, the holes will be weapon mounts. In my tutorial I advise adding the actual weapon mounts later so you don't have to worry about screwing them up while working on the ship itself.
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: September 15, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »

CrazyDave, I would point you to the Normandy SR2 (Mass Effect Series) and the Y-Wing (Star Wars) for fragile looking ships that are both strong AND awesome ;)

You could also say the same thing about most of the ships in Star Trek, where the engine and saucer sections are tenuously (looking) attached to the body of the ship.

Never judge a book by its cover.

Yes, the holes will be weapon mounts. In my tutorial I advise adding the actual weapon mounts later so you don't have to worry about screwing them up while working on the ship itself.

okay, yes, while those ships certainly have a 'fragile' look, they are MUCH larger than xlander's ship, so the 'thin' looking parts on those ships are actually still very substantial, as well as being protected by super advanced and efficient shield generators, the likes of which are not seen in Starsector. The Y-wing is small and nimble, and definately not designed to take a large about of punishment, relying heavily on weak shields that serve to protect them mainly from other fighter craft.

xlander's ship, on the other hand, is not nearly as large as those (i think. actually im not 100% sure of the scale of the starsector ships but im going to guess in comparison to the fighters) and has VERY thin parts. i mean those outer engines are being suspended by supports about half the width of a fighter. So unless it is covered in plating comparible to that of the normandy (which i believe would outclass and outgun any ship in starsector vanilla) and has state-of-the-art shielding to protect those flimsy areas, that ship would be dead in the... space?

again, take this with a pinch of salt, that ship looks really cool, i'd just recommend having a think about the practicality. :D

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: September 15, 2014, 07:35:06 PM »

I'd say when those weapon slots are filled with some big guns you won't be saying it 'looks' fragile any more :P

ORMtnMan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: September 15, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »

CrazyDave, you make a fair point on the supports it could /look/ beefier, from my conversation w/ xlander, it is based loosely off the Hammerhead Destroyer so it will pack a hefty punch per Debido's point
Creator and lord of The Ashkurr Commonwealth

Sprite artist and designer for Naysmyth Armouries

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: September 15, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »

Just trying to make this post more interesting: pack a hefty punch does not conflict with fragile

xlandar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: September 15, 2014, 11:51:42 PM »

I'm basically trying to make a ship that sacrifices armour for speed and weapons, but it will have decent shielding. i'm going to be designing most of my ships around this idea. (ORMtnMan already knows what one of the other ones looks like) They are also going to revolve a bit around chasing other ships, therefore the front is much better armoured then the back  :P. About ship scale, after a bit of research (and assumptions) i've concluded that a hammerhead class destroyer is about the same length as the normandy sr1.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 12:01:03 AM by xlandar »

CrazyDave

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: September 16, 2014, 12:38:05 AM »

I'm basically trying to make a ship that sacrifices armour for speed and weapons, but it will have decent shielding. i'm going to be designing most of my ships around this idea. (ORMtnMan already knows what one of the other ones looks like) They are also going to revolve a bit around chasing other ships, therefore the front is much better armoured then the back  :P. About ship scale, after a bit of research (and assumptions) i've concluded that a hammerhead class destroyer is about the same length as the normandy sr1.

....and the sr2 is quite a bit bigger than that :D

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: September 16, 2014, 03:39:50 AM »

front is much better armoured then the back 

i don't think you can do that in game?

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: September 16, 2014, 04:10:32 AM »

With the way the sprite looks, the game will do that for him ;)

The fewer armour cells there are in an area the weaker that area is. That is, if I'm recalling this correctly.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: September 16, 2014, 06:26:28 AM »

You can in theory make the front stronger than the back. After the ship enters combat, you would need to run once a process of reducing the armour cell values at the back area of the ship. It's fairly easy in theory.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: September 16, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »

The fewer armour cells there are in an area the weaker that area is. That is, if I'm recalling this correctly.
Pretty sure that's not the case. The armor grid is a simple rectangle, with armor cells outside of the sprite/bounds. You can't see the armor there, but it can still be damaged. Each cell has the same amount of HP regardless of how much of it is visible. Of course, having a larger area of armor exposed means more armor in total, so if that's what you meant, you're right.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 482