Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210858 times)

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #4275 on: August 16, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »

Here is another ship I have made, frigate sized.

Same theme as before, but the armour pieces are spaced out a bit more, and it is quite asymmetrical.
What do you think?
I'm not even sure how one would fit Starsector weapons on it. It does look cool though.

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: August 16, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »

Lcu, the shading on the edge is okay but your ship still looks extremely flat. the "hole" at the prow looks very weird and the bridge part would benefit form enhanced shading.

Spoiler
[close]

Here i tried to make some stuffs about it, i gave the Falcon "teeth" on the hole and increased the shading around the bridge to make everything less flat. There's still an awful lot of work to make it looks good. The shape and smooth armor remind of Aeon ships from Supreme commander, maybe it'll give you some inspiration for your work?

Spoiler
[close]

But honestly my first advice would be to forget about this ship for a while and focusing on something smaller like a destroyer. That thing is huge, bigger than an Onslaught, it's a gigantic amount of work, even more when you're not sure how to do it.

---
Thanks for the advice! The ship is bigger than a Conquest, so i guess it is a huge amount of work.
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: August 16, 2014, 08:45:55 PM »

*lcu's ship

since you're doing a large, circular ship, maybe these would serve as some inspiration as to what you can add as greeble:

Spoiler
[close]
mmm.... tartiflette

Lcu

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: August 16, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »

Wow, i made a ship a while ago the same faction as this one and someone mentioned it is similar to the Tribe in GSB.
Spoiler
Ctrl+F, type 6
[close]

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: August 17, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »

RAGE
Spoiler

After 1 HOUR and 43 MINUTES PS decided to crash on me. Although
having AUTOSAVE enabled for every 5 Minutes AND having enabled
AUTO-Recovery the EFFING Folder is EMPTYYYYYYYYYYY. WAAAAAAAARGH
[close]

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: August 18, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »

I tried to improve the gravity wheels by adding small volumes, a better lighting and a stronger contact shadow when they are inside the hulls:
Spoiler
                           NEW                                                              OLD

[close]

edit: replaced by a newer version.
edit2: replaced with an even newer version, with a more subtle shadow.
This is probably the final version.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:11:58 AM by Tartiflette »

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: August 21, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »

Hi everybody! It's been a while, but I've recently come back to the thread, still intent on presenting you all with terrible sprites! :D
I've finally pulled my finger out and tried to seriously make a ship, and thus present to you the pride of the Alpharuski Republic's Design Bureau and Primaris Manufactory: the "Alfa" Class Heavy Combat Frigate!
Spoiler
[close]
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: August 21, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »

Bjørn_in_the_Sector, is that MS Paint?

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »

*sigh* yes, as per the usual. I also have paint sai which seems to be like gimp, but I can't really work in either :/ It's the whole layer thing that gets me. For now, I just have sprites to show.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: August 22, 2014, 05:23:24 AM »

Got a lot of votes for a dreadnought. So here's a very early WIP of the Batavian dreadnought:
Spoiler
[close]
She is slightly longer than the Conquest, but also slightly slimmer. It will have 3 small missile slots, 3 large universal, 6 small universal and 6 built in C12 Hazemeyers.

On its front deck where the red dot is located, it will have a massive built in superweapon. Imagine the Maarschalk, but then larger and with only one or two massive barrels, for a huge slow-firing explosive shell (or a space-nuke, I haven't really decided yet).

It also has two flight decks on its nose, which will be animated. As a ship system I will either give it some sort of super shield, or a space marine company of 60 (30 more than the Tromp Mk2's marine platoon).

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: August 22, 2014, 05:37:33 AM »

@Bjorn

Spoiler

Your ship doesn't quite look right to me, from an 'engineering' point of view. I think by moving the visual centre of mass further rearward, giving a greater visual presence to the 'engine bay' it would be much more believable that such a ship would exist with heavy front facing armaments - such as appears to be the case with this ship.

With yours, how does it turn? How would a slow turning, small ship have fixed (main) front facing armaments and be able to get away with it in the battlefield?

Take it with as much salt as you wish, but that was my first thought when I saw it.  :) Nice ship though, could do with a bit of work on depth - something that can be a struggle with the simpler paint packages without a lot of work.
[close]

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: August 22, 2014, 06:16:28 AM »

Yeah, I'd figured there was quite a few problems with it, but since I'm new to making ships, I thought here would be the best place for advice! the lack of manoeuvrability is (almost) intentional - I'm trying to make a kinda crap ship that would be fairly cheap, but is an ideal ship for point defence and long range missile support. I planned on the turrets having a 360 degree arc, but maybe the front ones should point sideways and have less?
I've also toyed with the idea of resting a medium missile mount in the centre - were the rails are. it would sort of change the role, perhaps, but it would up-gun it a bit, give it some purpose, and put something in that centre of mass hole that you were talking about.

I'll modify it a bit and pop the results in here!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: August 22, 2014, 06:22:54 AM »

Honestly, I wouldn't call them problems - I am making a lot of assumptions which might not tie in with your intent, so take my opinions as you find them :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: August 22, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »

Oh no, I really appreciate your suggestions! I meant to say that I knew that there was issues with the ship as I drew it, but couldn't pin them down - please don't hesitate to speak your mind!

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: August 22, 2014, 11:16:15 AM »

Ok, double posting. Here's an updated version of the Alfa Frigate. There's a medium missile mount in the middle, now, if anyone was wondering what the hell it was.
Spoiler
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 482