Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2211107 times)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #3960 on: May 24, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »

@Tartiflette - the "inside weapon" part of the animation is a bit weird, but the outside barrel and flash are awesome. If I were you I might just get rid of the "loading" part altogether and use the game's own recoil animation with the flash separate (I'm not sure how to do that tbh). Add some white highlights to make the weapon itself pop more.

Here's something I threw together this morning (pretty unrelated to SS, but whatever). Tried a more "painterly" approach, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing... Not posting the reference because it makes me look bad lol (Didn't trace this one, but perhaps I should have.  :-[)

Spoiler
[close]

reactorcore

« Reply #3961 on: May 24, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »

Here's something I threw together this morning (pretty unrelated to SS, but whatever). Tried a more "painterly" approach, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing... Not posting the reference because it makes me look bad lol (Didn't trace this one, but perhaps I should have.  :-[)

Spoiler
[close]

Impressive, if the background matched the painting(in that same painterly style), then it'd be even better. Still, for a WIP, thats still cool.

GenBOOM

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: May 24, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »

Here's something I threw together this morning (pretty unrelated to SS, but whatever). Tried a more "painterly" approach, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing... Not posting the reference because it makes me look bad lol (Didn't trace this one, but perhaps I should have.  :-[)
Spoiler
[close]

awesome man, I'd redo some of the shading on the eyes and the lips cuz they look a bit off and could use slight tweaks, but other than that its good

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: May 24, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »

more adjustments, see what was better what isn't,

Old-                                                       -New

The new one had some engines removed, some deck lights ( imo questionable )  and weapons temporarily mounted.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #3964 on: May 24, 2014, 08:04:17 PM »

Spoiler
Weapon spriting is much more painful and difficult than I had anticipated, but I think I'm finally getting there.

No specific name for now, but you can think of it as a medium sized Mjolnir, with a much shorter range while keeping most of it's punch.

I'm not sure I'll keep this whole loading animation... After some thinking I find it a bit showy and because of that, it does not look very sturdy.
[close]

I think the loading animation looks good. It's the bolt movement that doesn't make sense. If you made it protrude from the back of the weapon casing rather than moving off to the side it would make sense. That or make the bolt and barrel one part with a shell-sized hole in it that is visible when it is recoiling back. I think the flash looks really good, but to make it match Vanilla better you should remove it and use the muzzleflash built into the game.

If what I said on the animations was unclear, I can show you what I mean if you post it as a .pde or something.
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: May 24, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »

@FlashFrozen:

Maybe like this?
Spoiler
[close]
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3966 on: May 24, 2014, 10:41:15 PM »

@Tartiflette - the "inside weapon" part of the animation is a bit weird, but the outside barrel and flash are awesome. If I were you I might just get rid of the "loading" part altogether and use the game's own recoil animation with the flash separate (I'm not sure how to do that tbh). Add some white highlights to make the weapon itself pop more.

Spoiler
[close]

Don't you think the hairs needs to be more flow-ish?

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: May 24, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »

One more pass on the lighting; may require a browser refresh :)

Spoiler

[close]
Xeno's Mod Pack

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: May 24, 2014, 11:40:09 PM »

One more pass on the lighting; may require a browser refresh :)

Spoiler

[close]

I did see some places where I could clean up, I took some parts of yours too, hope you don't mind lol
I decided not to have the new hatches with the lighting since it looked a bit odd when i flew the ship and started making turns.

The edge lighting does look nice, but once your start rotating it just brings on confusion, still impressed with how you got it out though :)

Now I'm a bit unsure of what to put in the almost empty space near the top left beside the 2nd medium mount.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3969 on: May 25, 2014, 03:11:18 AM »

Ashelin class Super/hypersonic Bomber.

Spoiler
[close]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:14:07 AM by Ryxsen1421 »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: May 25, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »

@FlashFrozen:  Feel free to do whatever you want with it, it's your design :) Basically, all I wanted to do on it was resolve the lighting to be properly unidirectional; the omnidirectional lighting on the panel edges feels very flat atm and there were a lot of areas where relative height wasn't clear to me, making what feels like a very complex combination of gently-curved hull panels and flat areas feel indistinct; adding a bit of lighting to cue the eye to the changes in relative height helps break up the shape without creating more noise.  Stuff like the shadow from the conning tower also creates a much stronger sense of height.

If you want to keep it omnidirectional, another pixel of padding on the interior and a slightly raised level of brightness might be appropriate, or just sink them into the hull with an outer dark rim of one pixel, establishing the edge transition.  I felt that adding the lighting there might have raised those panels more than you were aiming for, but I wasn't quite sure which way you were wanting to go with the forms so I just picked a way and went with it, lol.

Generally, I find that trying to make the light omnidirectional just doesn't work well; it tends to flatten detail a lot and you don't get the big sense of height; it can also unduly create noise.

I also wanted to balance the engine mass a little better; the way you shifted the engines worked better, but there was a hole in the silhouette on the right that felt like it needed something, so I added a few pixels there to resolve it :)

I also shifted hues a bit, so that the warm / cool contrast was a little more established and I picked out a bunch of little hull details that were so subtle that I had trouble seeing them until zoomed in.  While there's a lot to be said for decreasing noise where it's possible, some sharp contrasts really bring out those things and if it's not overdone it doesn't distract the eye from the forms :)

Anyhow, that was just my take / thoughts on the changes.  I didn't want to screw up your design, which is really strong, while resolving the details in ways that helped make the many details flourish :)

@Ryxsen: That's really quite good, the design's great; definitely the strongest sprite you've made thus far :) 

The panels could use a bit of edge lighting in places to help establish them, and the engines feel a little flat- a stronger gradient on the tubes might work.  Overall, that's a really strong design and if I have any complaint, it's that it'll need a strong built-in weapon or three to be roughly competitive with Vanilla frigate designs :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: May 25, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »

okay, corrected first gun, without the useless loading animation, plus a second one:

(dammit, why all my animations so much faster when played in a browser? This is driving me crazy :-\)

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: May 25, 2014, 02:13:07 PM »

GIF has a framerate as part of the spec IIRC. 

Kind of curious about how you're going to get the animations to work well in SS; IDK whether multi-frame animated weapons can take multi-frame glow.  IIRC glows don't split per barrel for multi-barrel stuff, either, which is too bad, since it could replace using particles entirely.  I feel a Feature Request coming on.

If they aren't able to, then it should work with those super-bright flares, so long as the pixels are hard, but I wonder about aliasing issues.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: May 25, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »

first cruiser:

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:40:21 PM by Xalendi »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: May 25, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »

well for the glow I... wait a minute where's my glow, I LOST MY GLOW!...

This is better.
So the glow could be integrated directly in the part, all as one animation, and no "game" glow.

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 482