Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2211021 times)

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #3915 on: May 17, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »

Pygmy Cond- ...Its not a Condor and its not small.  :-\

In fact, it is roughly the size of a Condor. I see what you mean though: the pronged look is somewhat similar to that of the Condor. But that's where the similarity ends.
Well there's nothing to reference for scale, and it looks a bit stubby, so I can see how someone could make that mistake.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: May 17, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »

A couple of destroyers

Spoiler

[close]

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: May 17, 2014, 02:03:50 PM »

Pygmy Cond- ...Its not a Condor and its not small.  :-\

In fact, it is roughly the size of a Condor. I see what you mean though: the pronged look is somewhat similar to that of the Condor. But that's where the similarity ends.
Well there's nothing to reference for scale, and it looks a bit stubby, so I can see how someone could make that mistake.

Ah, sorry. Yes, I should've said that the scaled down version is the actual ingame size.

@Xalendi
Good job! I like the consistency in style between your ships.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: May 17, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »

Trying my hand at the BF Ship Maker out of the parts and got this, resized to fit the Frigate size.

Spoiler
[close]
Nohman-class Modular Frigate:
Spoiler
  • Designed with adaptability in mind, planning 4 universal and 2 missile mounts, with high hull integrity and flux dissipation at the expense of mediocre armor and poor flux capacity. Set at 60 OP
  • Fast for a bulky ship, and quick to repair because of its... parts
[close]

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: May 17, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Oh dear, zombie Charybdis.  That's looking really neat, actually, I especially like how the biotic stuff is exploding out of the hangar area and across the flight deck.  The stuff exploding out of the port reactor housing seems a bit strange, though, I'd expect it the a bit more fully destroy the casing.

Still, pretty neat stuff.  I look forward to more infested ships.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: May 18, 2014, 04:55:04 AM »

Getting there:

Spoiler
[close]
I elongated the ship and added a row of engines on the bottom, among things.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: May 18, 2014, 05:58:30 AM »

Very good solid progress! That said:

That black line all around the ship looks cartoony. It could use a bit more contrast all around to make it look a bit less flat. The tank and white thingy on the right side looks hand drawn instead of industrial production, maybe make it a little bit more "perfect"? Overall a nice take for a condor remake : D.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: May 18, 2014, 06:59:36 AM »

Thanks! Will get rid of a lot of the darker outlines. I also got rid of the high contrast on the sprite because it looked "off" compared to vanilla sprites. So everything is a bit more bland. Though I can still offset some of the details by adding sharper borders to pipes and elevated parts of the ship. That should do it. I agree on the tank. The "white thingy" will stay as is, but the tank will be made to look more symmetrical.

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: May 18, 2014, 10:05:50 AM »

More destroyers

Spoiler

[close]

Not sure I like the second one. Might revisit that at some point.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: May 18, 2014, 04:51:34 PM »

Well, felt a bit inspired by seeing abunch of spaceships, and so ended up doing some work on SHI's sole supercapital, the Archipelago class mobile shipyard.

Spoiler

And yes, this is likely going to be the actual size of the vessel.  In battle, which the ship isn't really intended for, she tends to be used as a super-carrier; her real defense however, is avoiding combat as much as possible.
[close]

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: May 18, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »

Would it have any other function besides that?
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: May 18, 2014, 08:42:18 PM »

Well, it's not solidly decided upon, but she might end up with a ship system that allows her to launch very large numbers of various Shadowyards fighters or restore the logistics points of all deployed fighter wings or something like that.  She would also almost certainly end up using the scripts devised by Dark Revenant to allow her to repair and resupply an entire fleet after battle depending on if enough supplies are available.  When the option becomes available in campaign she'll also be able to construct starbases and outposts of various descriptions; ideally she'll also be able to turn enough raw material/supplies into a ship if a blueprint is available.  She is essentially an extraordinary logistics support ship.

She may also serve a bit of a plot purpose when the campaign is more fully fleshed out.

Short version, she's this:
Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:47:09 PM by MShadowy »

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: May 18, 2014, 09:15:33 PM »

Spoiler
Well, it's not solidly decided upon, but she might end up with a ship system that allows her to launch very large numbers of various Shadowyards fighters or restore the logistics points of all deployed fighter wings or something like that.  She would also almost certainly end up using the scripts devised by Dark Revenant to allow her to repair and resupply an entire fleet after battle depending on if enough supplies are available.  When the option becomes available in campaign she'll also be able to construct starbases and outposts of various descriptions; ideally she'll also be able to turn enough raw material/supplies into a ship if a blueprint is available.  She is essentially an extraordinary logistics support ship.

She may also serve a bit of a plot purpose when the campaign is more fully fleshed out.

Short version, she's this:
Spoiler

[close]
[close]
Just looking at how the ship might resemble actually had me almost drooling on my shirt... almost.  :D

Addendum: "Extraordinary logistics support ship?" The way you described it would be classified as a Mobile Construction Vehicle/Ship (Command and Conquer), complete with its full complement of a portable dock large enough for a capital.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:34:13 AM by Aereto »

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: May 18, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »

So essentially, the Kushan Mothership? I love you shadow, I love you.
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: May 19, 2014, 06:03:30 AM »

I remember you posting a sort of a mining ship sketch a while back, and now this...
 This faction will be more non combat focused than many others it seems, too bad the games development process is grounding you.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 482