Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2224912 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #3660 on: April 12, 2014, 06:20:36 AM »

A lot of factions around already have fairly balanced super capitals that he can put this thing against. im sure that won't be a problem, as long as he balances that thing reasonably well, the larger the ship, the harder it is to balance.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: April 12, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »

Finished?

Spoiler
[close]

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: April 12, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »

The orange faction looks superb, but some of the asteroid ships, especially the bigger ones, look flat and would in my personal opinion look better with heavier shading around the edges to make them look rounder.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: April 12, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »

i'd do anything to launch a missile the size of a capital ship. ::)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: April 12, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »

I think I have to agree with Zudgemud about the 3D aspect of the asteroid ships, they also seem to have less contrast than the orange ships.

And again, going to re-iterate Valkyrial's point...damn that is a big missile. Can you show a demo video of that thing???

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: April 12, 2014, 04:50:26 PM »

The giant orange warhead looks out of place as well. I think its because it looks like it is completely covered in a single sheet of metal? See if you can maybe break up that single smoothness.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: April 12, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »

some of the asteroid ships, especially the bigger ones, look flat and would in my personal opinion look better with heavier shading around the edges to make them look rounder.

I know, the problem is that with heavier shading, it looks ugly to me. Honestly i can't (or rather don't know) how to fix this problem. I looked at Valkyrial's own Asteroid ship and  tried a layer system to give it more volume, wasn't convinced by the result. I tried added more "mounds" to the ship but the base itself is still flat. I made an attempt at adding "holes" in it yet it doesn't really work either.

Here's my latest attempt:

Spoiler
[close]

It help but the problem is still there, also i wanted to avoid making my ships to much like asteroids cobbled together as MesoTroniK's Pirates are already like that. I did it for the Dengizich and the Uldin, while the result looks ok, it's a step aside from the original idea i had for this faction (single blocks ships). Also in my mind, those ships are supposed to blow up very, very fast, so you won't really have time looking at them.

For the contrast, technically it's not a problem as they'll be covered by a lot of low-level weapons which colors will add contrast to the whole dull grey hull.

For the missile, i won't touch it. I really like it how it is currently and the single sheet of metal is wanted from the start. No demo either, as it's not coded.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: April 12, 2014, 05:56:51 PM »

If you haven't seen mesotroniks Big Bang torpedo I suggest you take a look for inspiration for said explosion to said Titan missile. Particularly the lens flare effect that is done by Dark Revenant that is party for the explosion it looks really awesome.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #3668 on: April 12, 2014, 10:19:06 PM »

The Pegasus in-game. Due to it's current firepower (1LG Energy, locked to front, two Medium built-in cannons, 8 small) and stats I want to classify it as a capital but it's size and maneuverability is more like a cruiser..

I have a feeling that the Phase Teleporter makes it too stronk though. Any suggestions for other fitting systems?

Also dat asteroid health.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: April 13, 2014, 04:15:51 AM »

The names of the orange ships are roman, will they be anything like The Legion in New Vegas?

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: April 13, 2014, 05:08:07 AM »

The Event Horizon-class Battleship for TuP (WIP):
Spoiler

[close]

A low-tech alternative to the Paragon, basically. With a preference for missiles.

@Vinya
I like that ship. Should turn it into a small mod that is easily compatible with other mods. Then ask Uomoz to integrate it into UsS or something.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:52:14 AM by Erick Doe »

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: April 13, 2014, 06:57:02 AM »

Cool ship, Erick!

And the name is superb, it even has some vibe of that movie.
The only thing bothering me is that it could be a bit sharper in most places. The engines, weapon mounts and the whitish bridge sections seem to be much sharper then the rest of the ship.
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: April 13, 2014, 07:04:36 AM »

The engines, weapon mounts and the whitish bridge sections seem to be much sharper then the rest of the ship.

True. It needs some work to make the ship look consistent. I'll work on it.  ;)

In Science Fiction, there's almost something poetic and foreboding about the Event Horizon event. The edge of space. The great unknown. The point of no return. The place where men go mad. Ironically, an event horizon is defined as: "In general relativity, an event horizon is a boundary in spacetime beyond which events cannot affect an outside observer."

Key words being "cannot affect an outside observer."; As it clearly does affect outside observers in SF. :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:18:50 AM by Erick Doe »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: April 13, 2014, 10:57:12 AM »

The names of the orange ships are roman, will they be anything like The Legion in New Vegas?

Didn't played New Vegas but yes, their names are based on ancient Rome.

Erick, i like this ship, the lights in the center are pretty weird but that's not that much of a problem.

Tried to kitbash Distant Worlds and Starsector, got this:

Spoiler
[close]

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: April 13, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »

Holy ***, I love the Rebel ships, Helmut. I would totally play that.
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 482