Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210816 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #3165 on: January 22, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »

I had this idea for cutaway ships, that show the deckplan of the ship and personnel moving around, manning and reloading torpedo bays, rotating gun turrets, etc. The inner workings of ships. I was also considering a small submarine mod, where you see the inner workings of the submarine as you use several "weapons" and try to sink convoys and destroyers. Phasing would've played a big part in this.

Sorry, no artwork of my own. Just the result of a brainstorm along with a few images:
Spoiler

[close]

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: January 22, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »

Alright, silhouette on the Elysium redo completed.  I'm pretty pleased with how the overall shape carries.

Spoiler
[close]

Does feel a bit eVe like though; kinda Gallente-ish.  Well whatever.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: January 22, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »

Hm.  The connection between the right side and the central circle-y bit looks maybe a bit flimsy to me.  There's a support strut going forward-left from the central region; perhaps it might be worth considering another one going back/right?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: January 22, 2014, 12:28:54 PM »

Hmmm, you have a point.  I kinda wanted the ship to seem a bit fragile but that might be too much; hows this instead?

Spoiler
[close]

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: January 22, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »

Looks a lot better to me.  That said, if you're going for a fragile look, you might consider breaking up the dark green hull sections a bit more - right now each of the two halves looks fairly solidly built.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: January 22, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »

@Hyph_K31:

I wouldn't worry about it too much, tbh.  My experience with the Glaug's Catcher (which has a very similar plan-form) was pretty positive.  There is simply no avoiding needing the center to be offset, with a ship like that, if you want it to feel natural when it turns, and that means a bigger collision circle than normal, and that means some whackiness with the AI.  

The primary problem there is with shields, not hit detection per se, except from the rear, where it won't matter as much as you'd think.  Bear in mind that weapons' ranges are not how far they actually go-  shots are still active while fading out, which means that the AI can fire at the collision circle and still get a hit quite often.  It'll have issues with beams, but that can't really be avoided (at least, not cheaply; in theory, weapons could check vs. the bounds area before deciding to fire, but that's quite expensive, unfortunately).  

Lastly, it all depends on scale; a huge ship with a non-square profile is going to cause some AI problems, because there will be areas of the collision circle that are empty and that are quite large, which is why the AI has some minor issues with the Conquest.  That said, it's just not worth worrying about, if the ship's smaller than that in all dimensions.  Your ship's plan-form is close enough to a circle that very few obvious issues will be seen, and nobody really cares about the things that just look like misjudgement of range on the AI's part.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: January 22, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »

As promised I am starting my Bioship faction new from scratch keeping in mind what I've learned in the previous attempt.

May I present to you my first frigate concept after the reboot:

Spoiler
[close]

PS: More colour coming soon, just had to give it some colour ...
Edit: those round things left and right are 2 small turret mounts.
BTW: Cool to see a bit how you work, MShadowy, love your ship designs! Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:51:02 PM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: January 22, 2014, 03:20:38 PM »

Well, I do like posting wips.  I've actually intended to make a tutorial about this kinda thing for a while, even started a couple times but always forgot to record steps in the middle of the process.  Derp.

Well, I'm actually working on a tutorial again with this ship, so hopefully I don't forget to capture my progress as I get further on with the redone Elysium.

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: January 22, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »

What do you think about my little ship? Too abstract? Not pixel-arty enough? Is the lighting wrong?
I mean I didn't get to the details, yet ... just played around a few hours with new techniques.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:40:51 PM by Tecrys »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: January 22, 2014, 04:13:16 PM »

The overall shape is good, but it is actually a bit too spindly and abstract I think.  The connections could use a bit more meat to them (har har) and I think the area around the ships tail could use something; overall though you've got a pretty good organic feel going on.  Nice going there.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »

I actually like the spindliness quite a bit. It doesn't look very vanilla, but it's a bioship, so that's to be expected.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: January 22, 2014, 08:54:22 PM »

@Techrys:  That certainly looks quite alien, which is a good start :)  I'd like to see it with some color and treatment of light, especially a bit of definition to define some functional parts, but I like the feel :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: January 23, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm actually having much more trouble colouring and lighting this than before, gonna read some guides and play around with some tools to improve.

Spoiler
[close]
I am not happy the way it looks. But I think I know what I did wrong adn I read a guide somewhere on how to fix it. I'll be back

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: January 23, 2014, 01:11:01 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm actually having much more trouble colouring and lighting this than before, gonna read some guides and play around with some tools to improve.

Spoiler
[close]
I am not happy the way it looks. But I think I know what I did wrong adn I read a guide somewhere on how to fix it. I'll be back

I know why i recognized the ship, it looks like the alien/mutant (Gauna) ships in 'Sidonia no Kishi'

Spoiler
[close]

That means I like :P (So more plz)

@Sheeedow I like the new ship design, and the kinda 'flimsyness' i think it makes them have a more aesthetic ship design (the people who design them) and gives a nice overall feel to the ship instead of the standard bulky ship that moves slowly, so is differentish and gonna be pretty

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: January 23, 2014, 01:16:17 AM »

@Techrys:  A lot of it is color choices; you need to use warms and cools to create better contrast, but you have cool on cool there, which is why it's feeling a bit off.  That, and shading for the sub-sections to break it apart strongly.
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 482