Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2222149 times)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #3075 on: January 17, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »

I'd like to call it a 'quality' kitbash, where the vanilla parts are hard to spot. Similar to the Mace.

The Vanilla parts are pretty obvious as well but that's not really a problem. The thing would be that the custom parts blend within the vanilla ones. As Uomoz said, the clean parts from Batavia and the vanilla parts create a big contrast which is why i say they don't match. Also i find weird that an asymmetric ship actually got so much symmetry in it (the hull below the bridge, the armor under the medium turret and the mirrored Valkyrie plates on the right).

Uomoz, yes but first, i have to make them working, especially that Buffalo. I can probably rework a bit the sprite to make it less complicated to work in game. Wyvern, originally the guns were supposed to be turrets but if it can help making it easier, they'll be fixed hardpoint. Might still need some scripting wizardry to work though.

Xalendi, i like the engines but what are those spikes things? Otherwise i think you should add some greebling pattern to the armor as it's a bit too smooth, a bit like Sundog did to his own ship:

Spoiler
[close]

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: January 17, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »

Those spike things? An idea that seemed like it'd be awesome, but didn't quite work in execution...
I agree about the greebling.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: January 17, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »

Otherwise your ship looks pretty nice for a first attempt, I couldn't do that from scratch.
Maybe some weapon mounts would contribute to a more greebled look, especially if you put them on the ship asymmetrically but I'm not sure if that would agree with your intention.
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Xalendi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: January 17, 2014, 02:51:27 PM »

The wings are meant to be sorta holographic blades that stick out of the sides. They can be folded up, turned on/off, rotated, etc. Obviously not in gameplay, but still.

They are inspired by something I've seen elsewhere...if anyone knows, please feel free to tell me, as I have no idea.

I love asymmetrical ships, but this one worked better as a symmetrical ship. I was unsure as to where to put the mounts. It should have one medium, two small, both energy.

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: January 17, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »

The wings are meant to be sorta holographic blades that stick out of the sides. They can be folded up, turned on/off, rotated, etc. Obviously not in gameplay, but still.

Try using a different texture e.g.
Spoiler
[close]

Or make them look less 'physical' use more transparency and lighter colours.

EDIT: Also if you are wondering who I am, I was active modding about 3-5 months ago then stopped posting due to lack of intrest in modding and personal ***
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:10:18 PM by Pelhamds »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: January 17, 2014, 07:53:48 PM »

I present the new-and-improved Monolith! Of course, it is very WIP. Criticism is appreciated, but I'm not sure that there is much to give at this stage. Opinions are also fine, I totally want to hear them as well.

Warning: Onslaughts ain't got nothin' on this bad boy!
Spoiler
[close]

Things To Do:
-Shadows in the greeble sections that show they are sunken into the massive armor plates
-More defined edges of those greebly bits
-More small/medium turrets everywhere
-Complete engine parts and torpedo tubes throughout the ship
-More lighting improvements, weapon portholes must be more sunken in looking
-An epic bridge at the front
-Fix lighting issues that make some parts seem inconsistently lit.
-Get recommendations/suggestions from people
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:21:49 AM by Foxer360 »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: January 18, 2014, 02:29:01 AM »

I'd like to call it a 'quality' kitbash, where the vanilla parts are hard to spot. Similar to the Mace.
The Vanilla parts are pretty obvious as well but that's not really a problem. The thing would be that the custom parts blend within the vanilla ones. As Uomoz said, the clean parts from Batavia and the vanilla parts create a big contrast which is why i say they don't match. Also i find weird that an asymmetric ship actually got so much symmetry in it (the hull below the bridge, the armor under the medium turret and the mirrored Valkyrie plates on the right).

But there are no Batavia or custom parts used. Nearly every last bit comes from the Valkyrie.

Made it a little grittier, added some noise to the clean white parts. Changed the colours a bit. Sharpened the sprite, making it less blurry.
Spoiler
[close]

From the ashes of the Valkyrie it rose: the Phoenix-class civilian-grade cruiser. A call for an able and well-rounded cruiser for the civilian market had a group of unaligned engineers come up with a design that would be able to transfer large amounts of cargo, men and equipment through space; as well as being able to support strikecraft and drones. Furthermore, it was thought that it should be able to sustain itself in light conflict and during long voyages. The resulting ship is well armed and can easily be configured to its captain's preferences. Whether that be carrier duty, the role of a cargo ship or a light combat cruiser. However, owing to the integrated Valkyrie's poor combat systems and flux venting capabilities, the Phoenix has a hard time keeping everything operational at all times, forcing its captain to make choices. Had it military grade flux systems it would have had the potential to overpower and outperform most vessels in its class. Unfortunately this is not the case.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:20:04 AM by Erick Doe »

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: January 18, 2014, 06:28:58 AM »

Oi, Eric maybe make it less symmetric in the middle
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42:50 AM »

Definitely better, Erick.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: January 18, 2014, 09:11:55 AM »

Nearly every last bit eh? Anyway yeah it's better, less "clean", blend easier with vanilla ships.

Foxer, i can't wrap my head around the geometry of your ship, it's... Very weird. Other than this i like the greebles tubes on the bottom, even though the rest of the ship will need a lot of details. The same advice i gave to Xalendi could work here as well. Keep in minds that bigger ships are harder to make (to me at least) so with a beast of this size, it's gonna be long and difficult.

Oh, and cool torpedo tubes, mind i steal those for some kitbash?

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: January 18, 2014, 09:35:27 AM »

Thanks, HELMUT! Yes. I did think the lighting was inconsistent, which made it hard for people to see the shape, but it is always nice to hear it from a real person. I shall try to fix it, hopefully! On another note, this is actually a mobile shipyard, so Citadel ships can be constructed on the inside, albeit at a slower rate than an actual autofactory.

Also, go ahead and use the torpedo tubes!

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: January 18, 2014, 04:38:54 PM »

0.6.2a is out, time to play some Starsector again!

Nah, no time for that.

Spoiler

[close]

The first Cerberus and Heron kitbash on the forum! Meet the Killdozer and the Fontainebleau!

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »

oh, me likey. me likey a lot >:)
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: January 18, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »

Ah, 6.2a is out and here I am suffering computer troublins'.  Ah well, have a doodle of what I'm thinking of for the Elysium redesign.

Spoiler

Going for much more asymmetrical look this time.
[close]

Sorry bout the size of it, I only have access to very basic painting software at the moment.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: January 18, 2014, 11:04:51 PM »

Second go with using a graphics tablet; I'm tentatively calling this the Blade.  Not quite done yet but I need to sleep.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 482